Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dipped Headlights Adjustment

Kye

Mk 2.5 10 reg, 2.0TDCI Titanium.

Hello all.

Does anyone know how to adjust the beam of the headlight unit at all? My driver side one falls quite a bit shorter then the near side unit (which doesn't go far either).

It's not pleasant going down country roads not being able to see that far.

I understand there is a way of using a wall as well to get the correct angle?

Cheers!

Kye

Drive up to a wall, must be flat road, (harder then you think as most carparks etc are angled for water run off)

Mark the centre line of car (ford badge) mark the centre of each head lights bulb (same distance from centre line and each same distance off the floor)

Drive straight back about 7/8 metres, if you have a clean cut off for your lights that the kick up to the left must start no further then the centre point of the light or slightly to the left (don't think you can adjust this on OEM units) and should be pointing down from the centre light by about about 3 inches.

On lights without clean cut light, the hot spot ( area of most brightness) must not go above the head light level

its straight forward to get it approx IF you have a flat bit of road which most aren't. Just keep in mind the head light levels are 0° your aiming to be 2° below it being on it or above will blind peeps

Drivers side is not supposed to go as far as passenger side anyway as it is setup for RHD. The beam is angled away from oncoming traffic.

Only full beam gives you a clear view, otherwise if you have oncoming traffic only drive as fast as is safe for what you can see and use the edge of the road to see where you are going.

it should still be drivable at speed though, you should get a good 40 yards which is fine, use the centre line gaps for predicting corners and if their not there then drive slower, thing is, if there are other cars about you can use there positioning \ lights if there not then whack your full beams on :)

as long as its 2 degrees down of the centre line youll be able to see and drive safely at reasonable speed

Drive straight back about 7/8 metres, if you have a clean cut off for your lights that the kick up to the left must start no further then the centre point of the light or slightly to the left (don't think you can adjust this on OEM units) and should be pointing down from the centre light by about about 3 inches.

It is possible to adjust the headlamps left & right as well as up & down - there's 2 adjusters at the rear of each lamp, one at the top and on the mk2.5 the other one is halfway down the rear face of the unit. Can't remember which does which adjustment (vertical/horizontal). The adjusters look like little round circles in light coloured plastic with 7mm hex socket head for allen key or similar

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I hope it goes well. I put mine up for the same reason. I was a bit worried when I put it in for mot this year but they said I was spot on at the highest point allowed. 😊 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club