Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opinion Of The Potenzas?

dmizz93

Evening all, just wanted to get some thoughts on the Bridgestones that come supplied with the ST's (not sure if non-ST's are on these too) feel free to comment.

Personally though I think the tyres are complete garbage! On my last fiesta I went for Avon ZV5's which were awesome, supreme wet handling, tons of grip, didn't wear easily. They did get a little noisy but I couldn't complain when it allowed me to throw the car into corners and just come flying out the other side..

Since picking up the new ST though, I don't know whether its because I'm not used to the car itself (been two months now) but the tyres don't fill me with confidence. They seem to be wearing down at an alarming rate (1ml every 1k with fairly sensible driving) I don't feel as though they've got the same grip at my old Avons and am fairly hesitant to use the car to it's potential as a result *probably a good thing mind you* Also the car seems to want to slip from under me in the wet which is never a nice feeling to experience..

Obviously I appreciate the fact the different manufacturers will approach production differently and that one brand will be good at X whilst other good at Y.. But considering both have roughtly the same tyre index rating *and the Bridgestones cost a fair bit more* I'm thoroughly disappointed!

You guys got any opinion on the Potenzas?

I'm half tempted to be cheeky and ring my local perrys to ask why they're even supplied with the car and let them know what I think but I don't wanna cause trouble aha :huh:

I think a few others have complained about them too. I probably haven't pushed the car hard enough to require more grip than these tyres can give, especially in the wet, so I don't have a problem with them.

I checked my tread depths at 4000 miles and the fronts had lost about 2mm, rears about 1mm, so nowhere near the wear you're experiencing.

It would be better if we were allowed to chose which tyres our cars come fitted with, especially people buying cars in the middle of winter, which I assume still come fitted with summer tyres, or do they not? But it makes sense if the car manufacturers are saving money buying tyres in bulk from one company.

I´ve got em on my metal and I think they are good, not the best on the market but never had problems, some might say I drive aggressive(sporty) in dry and wet and they stick like glue.. sound and tire wear, could be better

But at 1k pr tire its ok

You got a ST they can loose grip with any brand :P

Perrys in High Wycombe by any chance? it's where mine came from.

OT, those tyres are crap, worn out after 6k, crap in the wet and noisy in the dry.

• Like 1

I had them on a Zetec S, thought the traction was worse than the Continentals SC2 on the standard smaller 16"s.

On the ST, they're performing better (could be a different derivative compared to those on the ZS) but they are a bit noisy and don't feel particularly soft.

Silver lining though, it can play about in the wet. But it'll be rubbish in the snow!

Perrys in High Wycombe by any chance? it's where mine came from.

OT, those tyres are crap, worn out after 6k, crap in the wet and noisy in the dry.

Ahha spot on bud, to be fair I can't fault wycombe at all for the service they gave and it's not like they told ford 'oh he looks like a bit of a racer give him the potenza's..'

The date stamp on them was from around July this year as well so not at if they've been sat around perishing either.

I did look at some reviews and for tread wear vs milage they come out pretty poorly. I suppose it also depends on where you drive as anyone that just drives motorways/main roads will get more miles out of it.

I had a bit of a hairy moment a couple of weeks ago in the 'damp' came in to a roundabout wide, hugged the inside and accelerated out and traction went on the front as I went to accelerate out.. The wheels were pretty much straight when the right foot went down and still lost the grip. Bear in mind I always drive that roundabout the same way on the avons it handled like a dream.

Don't know whether the fact my last car was on coilies would have made a difference seeing as the ST suspension is fairly stiff as well but I was just left like errrr..

I wonder whether there's any scope to get them changed FOC? I've only had the car like 7weeks.. Wishful thinking though I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

never know, I wrote on their feedback thing they sent me, saying all good bar the wipers were worn out and pants, a light bulb didn't work and a trim in the foot well was overlapping the wrong way.

He called me up the next day and said sorry bring it in and we'll sort it all out, OE Ford Wipers, all new bulbs and the trim was sorted, best of all a FULL valet given, was pretty nice given the car was coated in !Removed! ash inside lol

Aha might have to try that, got a bit of ash in my car :') they can give me a valet as well.. I'll send them over an email I think.

There's a few minor things like a rattle here and there which is expected, but could be avoided.

I've also noticed the wipers, mine have been making an awful noise but don't think they're worn as they're not smearing or anything.

Worst thing for me is the key fob, dad moved my car one morning with my key and since then whenever I press unlock it'll only do drivers side no matter how many times I press.. It's booked in Thursday to sort that but at Aylesbury instead of Wyc.

I've done that, you need to reset it, I think you just hold down unlock for x period of time to do it, can't remember if correct or not.

Good boys at perrys actually, I'd buy there again if I ever got another Fraud motor, very civil humans.

I've literally just bought a new front set of the bridgestone this past weekend for my metal.

Went for them again as I think they're a pretty solid tyre, all be it the wear rate is quite high.

I managed to get my front two done at a local garage for £170 inc fitting ect. Not too bad a price I thought. The chap seemed to think they were being phased out though as he struggled to get hold of them... How true that actually is though, I don't know.

I've done that, you need to reset it, I think you just hold down unlock for x period of time to do it, can't remember if correct or not.

Good boys at perrys actually, I'd buy there again if I ever got another Fraud motor, very civil humans.

Ah sweet I'll give that a try.. If that's the case I think I may have done it whilst trying to get the windows to open from the fob :') wasn't trying to show off... Honest!

I'm not gonna turn my nose up at bridgestones as at the end of the day dealers could make you pay for tyres in order to get the ones a customer wants but I just feel as though they could have done a bit better choosing them. Will be interesting to see how well they wear over the next few thousand miles

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club