Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Scary Moment Today...

Wrisco

Following on from my post in the Welcome section...

Since purchasing the Focus a couple of weeks, ago its been fine - today whilst driving I took the engine round to the rev limiter in 3rd gear, there was like a pop/whoosh sound, from the engine and reduced power. Engine still running, but when you used the right pedal it was gutless, and also made whistling / screaming noises..

I found a carpark and pulled in, turned the key and killed the engine. Opened the bonnet and there was smoke coming out from the rear of the engine.

I started the car again, and feathered the throttle - then it was like it had a life its own, then engine revved up and up, until max RPM with billows of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I turned the key to kill it but it kept on running at full revs, it was like it was going to blow up! The only thing I could think of was to stall it, so I put it into 2nd, foot on brake and slowly let the clutch out.. eventually it stopped. I pulled the dipstick out and there is very little oil in the engine..

I have had it towed to a garage, but can anyone tell me what the problem is likely to be?
Cheers

Rich

Isn't that the head gasket if it's right smoke, water around the gasket?

But why would that make the engine rev up and hold at max rpm?

Sounds like the turbo popped! A diesel engine will run on its own engine oil if that's the case.

If the turbo has broken and the engine has been running on the engine oil (which is very likely) there is a huge risk of serious internal engine damage. The combination of debris from the turbo entering the engine and high RPM's combined with not enough engine oil will almost certain lead to engine damage.

In my opinion the engine should be inspected for engine damage first. If there is serious engine damage it may be cheaper to install a used low mileage engine.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Well those comments tally with what the garage said. Engine oil level was checked and was on minimum. It was on full revs for about 30secs may just have dodged a bullet.

As mentioned, it is called a runaway. Sometimes, if a turbo goes pop on a diesel, it will pull engine oil in, burn that, and as it is not a fuel source that is regulated, it will rev like hell until the oil runs out, then the engine will go bang. The best way to stop it is to block the air supply, either by firing a CO2 fire extinguisher into the air take, or jamming a jumper into the intake, whatever it takes to stop the airflow. However, for the sake of health and safety it would be safest to get the hell away from it and let the engine kill itself. Hopefully it hasn't done much damage in your case OP!

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

I've never heard or experienced anything like this in my life. It was awful. I don't think I have ever panicked as much. Didn't think about restricting airflow, stalling it was the first thing that came to mind. Hope the clutch is ok. There were no nasty noises from the engine before I stopped it so fingers crossed. Glad I was stationary, if i had been moving it could have caused a serious accident. What a poor design.

You did the right thing by stalling it tbh. Blocking airflow is good in theory, but time you've pulled your jumper off, the engine would likely have hit 10,000 rpm and then left valves all over the place! That said, I have known a runaway diesel to rip a clutch apart. Thankfully wasn't mine, and it was heavily modified but still lol...

I've only had one runaway, which I managed to stall quickly and was at home on the drive anyway. I also broke another turbo, but only the exhaust seal failed on that one (no chance of it running away) so I drove it home smoking like a trooper...got home with barely any oil left, replaced the turbo a week later but driving it low on oil had caused unexpected cylinder head problems unfortunately.

It's not so much a poor design, it's the same for any turbo diesel engine, just can't be avoided really.

I must admit I'm surprised to see a 2.0 break a turbo though, the 1.6s are well known for it!

Ouch! An expensive bill will be following this one just shortly for a new turbo and cleaning out all the pipe work etc.

Sounds like you managed to kill it though before the engine tore itself to pieces!

I am looking to get a recon / exchange turbo

Can someone let me know the correct part number please?

Well, it's almost fixed. There doesn't appear to be any engine damage which is lucky as the turbo literally split in two!! There is still however an awful lot of excess oil where there shouldn't be so keeps picking up after 2k. Intercooler being cleaned out tomorrow, should hopefully sort it.

Well, it's almost fixed. There doesn't appear to be any engine damage which is lucky as the turbo literally split in two!! There is still however an awful lot of excess oil where there shouldn't be so keeps picking up after 2k. Intercooler being cleaned out tomorrow, should hopefully sort it.

All of the intake pipe work should have been cleaned before starting it up again. Fingers crossed

All sorted, running like a dream - even better than before, the power delivery is unbelievable... Been for a run, looked like a red arrow for a while, but burnt most of it off. The intercooler saved the engine from shattered turbo fragments, so definitely dodged a bullet..

• Like 1

To be entirely on the safe side I would be tempted to put a new intercooler on not that expensive and if any debri no matter how small that's lodged in there may cost you the same problem you got lucky this time just out of interest what did they charge for the job as I know this is not a particular easy job .

Drop the sump off and clean out oil pickup pipe. Mirco prices of metal would of flowed into the engine. Seen this happen before. People bolt new turbo on and get excited and !Removed! it up down the line.

Intercooler pipes and intercooler will slowly drag up bits of metel. Soak them and clean it all out aswell engine flush and service. Small price to pay.

It was cleaned in an acid bath, so should be ok.

The whole job cost me £530. Which isn't too bad.

Yep, all cleaned out. And yes all in (mates rates) good friend owns a garage..

Aslong as your sure. Personally it's not common practice todo that. A lot of garages don't. Did u have a invoice for work done ?

Yes, I know the chap who owns the garage, and he let's me watch his guys at work. He also showed me the turbo that was took off (how do I post a pic? Can I use Photobucket?)

One half of the turbo. In 27 years of working on cars, he has never seen this before

PART_1415266781802_IMG_3467_zpsw7doejto.

Oops...yeah that's broken lol.

I've never seen one fall in half either, wonder how that happened!