Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puzzled About Mirror

worcspaul

Hi all,

Earlier this year I bought a late 59 plate 1.6 Zetec. It cleared all pre-purchase checks etc. and has had no problems...except for one, which puzzles me:

I noticed that when the rear heater is on the driver's door mirror demists as expected, but the passenger door mirror doesn't, so at the weekend I took a look (thinking there was maybe a problem with the heater element in the mirror) only to find that the mirror glass is plain and there's no wiring for a heated one. I assumed that both mirrors would be heated (they were on my Mk I) so hence the title of this topic.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, the original mirror housing had been clobbered and replaced with a plain, non-heated motorised one, or would it have been like that from the factory? It seems a bit odd (and not a little inconvenient) to not have the passenger door mirror heated. That said, I've seen an advert for a heated passenger door mirror assembly with the interesting words

• Mirror Has: No Temp Sensor

So perhaps mine is intentionally not heated so as not to affect a temperature sensor? I haven't got a Haynes manual for the car yet so I've not been able to check the wiring diagram (though I do have the full schematic that someone kindly posted on this site)

Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome

Paul

I think the advert means the outside air temp sensor is not present, so you will need to transfer it from your current one or get a sensor.

Afaik they should both demist, I realise mine is a MK3 but both of mine do...

Hi all,

Earlier this year I bought a late 59 plate 1.6 Zetec. It cleared all pre-purchase checks etc. and has had no problems...except for one, which puzzles me:

I noticed that when the rear heater is on the driver's door mirror demists as expected, but the passenger door mirror doesn't, so at the weekend I took a look (thinking there was maybe a problem with the heater element in the mirror) only to find that the mirror glass is plain and there's no wiring for a heated one. I assumed that both mirrors would be heated (they were on my Mk I) so hence the title of this topic.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, the original mirror housing had been clobbered and replaced with a plain, non-heated motorised one, or would it have been like that from the factory? It seems a bit odd (and not a little inconvenient) to not have the passenger door mirror heated. That said, I've seen an advert for a heated passenger door mirror assembly with the interesting words

• Mirror Has: No Temp Sensor

So perhaps mine is intentionally not heated so as not to affect a temperature sensor? I haven't got a Haynes manual for the car yet so I've not been able to check the wiring diagram (though I do have the full schematic that someone kindly posted on this site)

Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome

Paul

Hi Paul, I've a Ghia trim MK2 & both mirrors are heated & demist.

Ford always fit heated mirrors in pairs and do use mirror mounted external temperature sensors.

By rights the car should have matching heated mirrors, but that doesn't mean a misbuild can't slip through the net - would depend how robust the checks were in the factory etc.

Another possible reason - if you're able to find the 2 small wires with push-on connectors within the mirror then someone's likely replaced the glass at some time with the wrong type, or if there's no wires then maybe the whole mirror assembly has been replaced?

It is highly likely someone replaced a broken one and was either unable to find a heated one, didn't know it should be heated or knew but was too cheap to buy the proper one.

Sounds like a repair on the cheap at some point. Shouldn't think it'd be that hard to find a heated mirror from a breaker and swap the cover from your car. Wiring should be there somewhere in theory.

Thanks for all the replies. The mirror unit doesn't have any spare wires/connectors in it for heated glass so I guess I'll have to pop the trim inside and see what wiring/connector there is. I'm hoping the connector on the door loom will have the necessary wires and it'll just be a simple case of fitting a replacement heated mirror with the right wiring.

If your car was originally built with heated mirrors then the wiring should all be there going up to the mirror. Wire colours are black, and green/orange according to the wiring diagram.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club