Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittently Dead!

CamMan

Hi all, this about my Focus 2002 1.8 TDDI

When I sometimes park up and return to the car a little while later it is dead when I try to start the car. Leave it several hours or even overnight and it starts first time.

All the lights on the dash light up when I switch on the ignition, radio, headlights and electric windows work but when I try to start it there is not a click and as I mentioned, leave it for several hours or until the next day and it starts no problem. When it’s running, it runs perfectly.

Does this sound like a starter motor problem or any other suggestions if it’s not please?

Obviously something is happening when the engine gets warm…

Thanks

Sounds like an earth prob to me had similar on a clio dci have you got any jump leads if so next time it happens put on between the battery earth and the block if it starts there's your prob all I did with the clio once i Sussex out what it was was run a perm earth from the battery to the head and no further problems try it.

Hi STEADS and thanks for your reply

After returning home from a short erand this morning I left the car for awhile and when I went back to it to see if it would start it was dead. I tried as you suggested with a jump lead from the battery negative terminal to the engine block but no different.

Its damned annoying as I know it will start again in several hours.

Any other suggestions (anyone) I can't believe I'm the only one thats experienced this problem!!

Ian try moving the earth around whilst someone try's to start the car for you first time I tryed it was hit and miss it could possibly be that you have a duff battery its that time of year where they get zapped in an instant . It could also be a dodgy solenoid on the starter not familiar of the layout of your car is the starter handy to get at for you to give it a tap whilst someone try's to start it for you .is your earth fully tightened down on the battery just a few pointers to what else it could be .

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue yesterday, it was the connection to the battery post itself.

Check that the posts are secured to the battery terminals correctly, and also make sure you have about a half mmof the post coming above the terminal connections.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've got the same issue with a Mondeo mk4. Will start when cold but if warm will be engine dead ( dash and other electrics seem ok). But usually after trying to start it 20 times over 5 mins it will start totally normally.

Did you ever find the solution?

If the battery is securely connected I would suggest that could be crankshaft sensor

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club