Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Bought One Of These Dpfs?

TomsFocus

Hello,

Basically, as title really!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-1-6-TDCi-Replacement-Diesel-Particulate-Filter-DPF-Fitting-Kit-/310698935920?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Seems very cheap - especially compared to the £800 I'd been quoted from Ford. But as long as it's solid and leak free, I can't see an issue? The cat will have been type approved as well so should work fine for the emissions, not that those are tested on diesel for MOTs (yet!!).

It's cheaper to replace the DPF with this than to have it gutted and welded and buy a remap so that's what I'm probably gonna do.

Just want to know if there's anything I've missed, any reason not to buy this cheaper DPF?

Would be good to know if anyone using one as well!

Cheers

Tom

you don't need the remap if you don't want it, gutting the dpf comes with the ecu mod to disable regen as standard, plus unless your doing it yourself youll need to add 2 or 3 hours labour so cost is slightly more expensive changing it if someones doing it for you.

I will be doing it myself yeah so labour isn't an issue.

Unfortunately I cant weld though, or know anyone local that can, which is why the DPF gutting costs a lot for me. Then DPF removal/power remap would've cost about £125 (mates rates!) but still works out more overall than just replacing it tbh.

Tricky one then, apart from the it'll go wrong eventually reason , a slight increase in mpg and a wee bit more response, and finally hassle, there isn't much of a reason to gut it,

a hundred quid cheaper buying a new one and road legal

you plan on keeping car for another 60k?

60k??

Longest I've kept a car so far is 11 months... :lol:

Intending to keep the Focus around 30k/3 years...but will be surprised if I manage that lol.

It's less hassle to replace it for me, shouldn't take long, I've swapped whole engines/rear axles/turbos/clutches in less than a weekend. DPF swap looks pretty easy, just fans out, boost hose out, heatshield off, pipes/sensors off then a V band clamp on the turbo and two bolts onto the centre pipe. I can also reset the learned values using FORScan. Whereas gutting it I'd have to remove from the car, find some other mode of transport to get to a garage in town that's willing to gut and weld it, pay them a lot for the privilege, refit it, pay for a remap, flash that on, etc etc. Plus when I come to sell the car in a couple of years, I think it'll be impossible to sell a diesel without a DPF at that point.

I do agree that eventually it will clog again, but that won't be my problem hopefully, I don't see that it'll clog in less than 3 years with my driving style. :)

haha, seems like its a no brainer then.

im building up my technical know-how but would love to be able to "just" do stuff.

changing the oil which still seems a tad unnecessarily complicated on this engine, is about as complicated as ive got, oh I did the egr as well, but not sure that counts as technical, thinking about it the oil isn't really either lol! :)

Everyone has to start somewhere!

I did work experience at a main dealer when I was at school...having never touched a spanner in my life before that! Had a panic attack about removing the sump plug in case the oil went down my arm... :rolleyes: :D It did. <_<

That was about 7 years ago though, now I'm not even fussed about changing a cambelt-snapped engine....

IMAG3532_zpsd337c23f.jpg

IMAG3537_zps70f35944.jpg

Back in and running...with a few mods at the same time. ;)

IMAG3548_zps999e62d5.jpg

So changing a DPF...how hard can it be. :D I'd ideally like to know if theres downsides to this cheaper DPF before buying it though really...

• Like 1

make me wish I still lived in Suffolk!

Those DPFs are cheap, only thing id be worried about is the cat and if its a referb or not, perhaps try get some real photos of a unit, see if you can see anything dodgy, great thing with eBay is you can return it if its not any good.

tomsfocus!!! me ode fella.. how goes thee?

you litle rascal getting on the DPF bandwagon and finding a new unit!! ive saved it in me watchlist.. i hope you dont mind. now this throws a spanner in the works... this unit (if legit) is quite an attractive solution.. hhmmm the problem i have to consider with this is that i would also need to sort my additive out at the same time...

where abouts in suffolk are you if you dont mind me asking...

have you had a reply from them about this unit?

Thanks Bud

Dave

sorry, would i be wrong in assuming that this would fit the mk 1 cmax?

Hi Dave.

I have had an E-mail back, the DPF is warrantied for 12 months which is good. Its a brand new item, not recon'd.

But there is a choice of two for my car after giving my reg, so will need to send them another email to make sure I chose the right one. Something about an extra sensor pipe? Anyway, mine doesn't have it, just the two pressure pipes and a temp sensor on the other side. So the other one may be for the newer non-additive cars.

I don't know about the CMax I'm afraid, I'd guess it's the same, but you can send them your reg and they'll check for you. For the additive, it doesn't cost much for a litre and the kit, about £35 I think, I have that watched on eBay as well but mines not empty yet.

I'm out in the sticks lol, about half hour East of Ipswich.

It is illegal to sell a car with a gutted dpf and a lot of dealers now check so its up to the individual as to what they decide but i know my local fords check them all now

Yep, true, but as you say, up to the individual really, hopefully everyone on here is old enough to make their own decisions lol.

Back on topic though, after some unnecessary confusion, that is the correct DPF for my car. I'll probably give it a go tbh.

just be careful dude... ive been warned away from these by garages that fit (so hopefully no bias) and question what theyre made of inside.. i heard that the precious metals in the legit ones were coming at like £400 raw materials price. Before anything else. It takes a member to be brave enough though and take the plunge.. i found ones this price for my car, so there are options... if it works, then it changes the game with regards to peoples options going forward.

Dave

Oh I totally agree the internal metals won't be as good as standard, same as any aftermarket cat really, but as long it fits, passes MOT and doesn't clog after a month I don't mind what the internals are lol.

Also gives me time to experiment with cleaning my OE one. And if it fails after a year, I'll just gut it and keep the standard one to put back...I'm sure that'll please Arthur lol.

• Like 1

A bit more searching shows these DPF's are made by Dinex, which is a known brand at least. :)

I was told that the ones made of silicone carbide are already better then the one made from the other cheap material.

Yep, true, Cordierite is cheaper and obviously not quite as good. But that doesn't mean it wont work, its also apparently the most common used.

So, I decided to go for a BM Catalysts DPF rather than the one in the OP. Many outlets for them but I chose cats2u.

Arrived next days as expected -

IMAG4150_zps3b4bf9eb.jpg

Well packed -

IMAG4151_zps7d15abcc.jpg

Free fitting kit -

IMAG4152_zpsceb906eb.jpg

Quality looks alright to me, but I'm not a welder -

IMAG4155_zpsed7031fb.jpg

IMAG4156_zps47648fda.jpg

IMAG4157_zps06583f2e.jpg

IMAG4160_zpsdd9b3cc2.jpg

Looks well sealed -

IMAG4161_zps4bc21f9a.jpg

Type approved cat -

IMAG4162_zps90c3c8df.jpg

Only thing that worries me a bit is this 'kink', looks like a massive restriction, no idea if the OEM one is as tight as that yet.

IMAG4158_zpsb7aae0d1.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow.

I don't get time at weekends and obviously evenings are dark now, so weather permitting it'll all get done tomorrow!

The more I look at that crush bend, the more I think it's definitely gonna be a mandrel on the OE DPF. Will it make a noticeable difference to power/torque in reality? I really have no idea... :unsure:

So, to update this, major fails all round lol.

Basically that kink isn't right, I should be getting a replacement tomorrow and this one returned. So obviously I couldn't change it today. Annoying as I wont get another chance for a while.

Anyway, after some more various fails I got the later version of ELMConfig. But the additive screen is confusing!

It's full, but 0/15 current level? What...?

ECEolys_zpsb0ecbec3.png

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club