Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Audio Vs Ford Sync

quadrophenic

Hi Guys,

I have just traded in my 57 focus ghia for a shiny 62 mk3 Zetec S and I love it with all of my heart! lol

However I have a question about the bluetooth system.

I have an iPhone 6 and it connects fine, I can make and receive calls etc however my Mum has a 13 plate zetec and hers reads text messages.

My question is how do I tell if my stereo is "sync" compatible and if it is, is it just a case of a software update at a dealer?

When I search for devices on my phone it is identified as "Ford Audio" and when I open it I don't get any options for text messages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Do you have "Sync Settings" in the menu?

Are your audio controls on the main "arm" part of the steering wheel, or lower down in the "gap"?

62 was right around the change to Sync...

Controls are in the gap. I don't see any "sync" settings in the menus. I am pretty sure I don't have it at the moment but I was wondering if it is just a software update that is needed?

You don't have sync then :(

No way of adding it, it needs more than just software afaik. Hardware is different...

Devastated! Is the hardware just part of the stereo as I am looking at upgrading to the sony headunit. So if i can find one with Sync I should be good to go?

Id' expect it to be pretty integrated with the rest of the car, there are GPS modules, etc required too...

you are just the bearer of bad news! haha

I have a cunning plan! I will "borrow" the stereo from my Mums and see if it works in my car. If so then it is all in the stereo...

I will report back on my findings! anybody selling a sony stereo with Sync? :)

Sync is integrated into a seperate module called the APIM module. The Sync module and wiring is completely different from the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system.

retrofitting the Sync system should be possible but is a very time consuming and expensive job. You will need a different stereo which supports Sync and also the APIM module, full interior wiring looms for the Sync system and a GPS antenna (The Sync system calls automatically the emergency line in case of an accident and reports the GPS position). Afterwards the car must be reprogrammed completely to accept the Sync system. I doubt you will ever find a Ford dealer which has the knowledge to do this.

Unless you can reprogram the car yourself it is not worth it to retrofit the Sync system.

Personally I like the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol more. My current car has the Sync with APPlink system which basically works nice but I am missing some functionality of the old system which was installed into my previous MK2. The Voicecontrol of the Sync system can only control Phone and Media (USB) functionality. Next to these functions the Voice control of the old system could also control the radio functions and climate control system functions.

It is probably cheaper to change your car than buy all the parts and have it reprogrammed...

Well since I bought the car on Friday buying another is out of the question! Well thanks for the answers, looks like I'm stuck without text message reading. No great loss but would have been nice if I could have added it.

The mk2 focus seemed loads easier to mod than the mk3. I was looking at adding cruise control and auto lights but it seems they are a royal pain too!

The cars are getting so integrated now it is not as simple as just connecting parts up.

The whole car network has to be programmed.

Not saying you need to sell having just bought it, but it probably would cost more than you would loose on all the parts. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club