Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ownership Experience So Far.

simcor

Well I've had the focus now for a little over 3 months and it has not been plain sailing.

Glow plugs replaced under warranty, pulley and tensioner swapped for a used working one under warranty.

Now I have a cracked EGR body to change got one coming from eBay for £70, also still need to check out front suspension knocking noise mainly on taking up drive and coming off the power so I think its a driveshaft.

Was hoping this one might be a good car but its about as problematic as my ZTT was, in fact this had more faults in the first 3 months than the ZTT did.

Oh and my passenger door won't unlock either have to lock and unlock once or twice to get it to unlock.

Oh the joy of cars.

Sorry to hear about all your problems. They are not all like that. I'm the same I've had mine about 3 months with no problems. Mine is a mk2 1.6 tdci lx. It has now only done 53000 miles on a 06 plate.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Ford OC

I'm well aware that not all cars are like that as I have owned several Rovers and "they all do that" lol

Have to say the only issue apparent with the Ztt in the first year really was the clutch issues but it had done over 117k miles when I bought it. Over the 6 years I have had that it has been pretty good until last year.

So I'm now on the focus which has given me some gip so far but a little tinkering and hopefully all will be good for a bit.

3years and no major issues never failed an mot no advisories either never failed to start only issue was when the clutch went with no slip or warning its like any car if you take care of it it will work.fixed more rovers than i care to see rubbish cars.all cars will have issues the fact that a garage would put a used tensioner and pulley on says a lot about the garage to be honest you just dont do that new or nothing a used one can fail leaving you with a broken engine driveshafts should have been checked by the garage it could be an engine or gearbox mount also so worth checking.also the lock may be sticking wd40 with the straw squirt some in the gap at a 90 and 45 degree angle so straight ahead first then downwards give it 5 mins then try the locks a few times im on 83k on a 1.6 petrol 06 climate out of all my cars including vw its been the most reliable topped only by a hyundai accent 1.5 gsi 1995 that had 90k on it it was sold and done another 57k before rust ended its life.

It will get better just get rid of these niggles and it should be fine

You see that is a typical response I am used too, saying Rivers are rubbish, absolute tosh they are as reliable as any other car it's stereotypical attitudes like that cause offence, it would be like me coming here saying all Ford's are rubbish.

They stuck a used one on as it was very bad and the car was out of warranty, I will be swapping it for new at some point soon. They didn't have to do anything so yet again assuming without knowing the full facts.

I plan on getting on top of all the niggles but at the moment I am working crazy hours so people can buy stuff for xmas.

Sorry but I find it very disrespectful when people are rude about another marque.

well first off im going on the info you provided and secondly i have fixed over 30 rovers and i havent seen a good one yet rusty falling to bits blown head gaskets cracked heads failed oil pumps ignition barrells and gearboxes most of them on the same car having owned a rover 25 from brand new it was a rubbish car full of issues it needed repaired so much that people brought there rovers to me to fix ide like to say it was the only one but ide be lying having also worked in a gagrage they came in time and time again over any other make now that may be down to the owners but you if you read youre post sound disrespectfull to the ford marque im not being disrespectfull im being honest theres fords out there and minis and bmws that are just as bad so im not picking on you

Was hoping this one might be a good car but its about as problematic as
my ZTT was, in fact this had more faults in the first 3 months than the
ZTT did.

so please dont complain at my trying to help based on the info you provided even if its out of warranty and bad a garage shouldnt put a used one on the fact it failed meant even though it was out of warranty the fault was there just not as bad within the warranty period so they by law were responsible for repairing it these items dont suddenly fail

youre first post was how bad the car was no positives about it just how rubbish its been compared to youre rover if thats not how it was meant its how it reads

• Like 1

Get a grip pal, it's a second hand 8 year old car hence why I said I was hoping it would be a good one. Any old car is a gamble. Where have I said it was a rubbish car or all Ford's are rubbish? I haven't I was merely pointing out your opinion on rovers is not true at all, any car is bad if they are not looked after. The biggest cause of problems was headgaskets and that was down to a design flaw that they could have fixed when the problem first surfaced. That is the reason why they get such a bad rap.

As for rust don't make me laugh my focus has 3 lots of rust on it bubbling up from under the paint, both arches and another spot I can't remember where it is currently. My ZTT has no rust and neither did my other 4 Rovers I owned.

I did also say that all cars have problems even new cars and expensive ones, it is pot luck if you get a good one or not.

My post is honest ownership experience so far nothing more nothing less, if I didn't like or want the car I would get shot of it.

Play nice Gentlemen.

(Btw, Rovers ARE crap, that's why they went bust)

im not being abusive so youre get a grip pal remark is out of order agree to disagree on the rovers ive worked in a garage and sold them as well as fixed them and honest posts is what we want but you do wether you realise it or not keeping going on about the ztt remember during the sell off honda bmw and ford all wanted bits of rover ie land rover for ford mini for bmw no one wanted the mg rover now if you speak to lenny he knows about the egr delete rather than replace it or do the delete after replacement so you dont get the issue again yes definately replace the tensioner and look at the belt too they say 125k or 10 years but thats optimistic if you intend on keeping it a bit if the tensioners going its usually time to do the belt

Play nice Gentlemen.

(Btw, Rovers ARE crap, that's why they went bust)

yup that's why they went bust of course lol nothing to do with bad management and other parts of the business being asset stripped etc etc. Without a doubt Land Rover were never seen as craps funny that, oh and that ended up under Ford ownership before they sold it to Tata. Same with the Chinese buying MG but I am sure they are also craps because they are Chinese owned and built. Maybe They are all just craps then.

It just riles me when people slate another car marque for no good reason because he worked on 30 Rovers that must mean they all are crap and do that. If we had been more like other countries who buy mostly their own marque of cars then things could well be different however we were all too good at buying. Foreign marques instead of backing British engineering.

Anyway I've just been n kicked the Focus for being a crap Ford lol

im not being abusive so youre get a grip pal remark is out of order agree to disagree on the rovers ive worked in a garage and sold them as well as fixed them and honest posts is what we want but you do wether you realise it or not keeping going on about the ztt remember during the sell off honda bmw and ford all wanted bits of rover ie land rover for ford mini for bmw no one wanted the mg rover now if you speak to lenny he knows about the egr delete rather than replace it or do the delete after replacement so you dont get the issue again yes definately replace the tensioner and look at the belt too they say 125k or 10 years but thats optimistic if you intend on keeping it a bit if the tensioners going its usually time to do the belt

I am not removing the Dpf as it is illegal full stop and I prefer to be properly insured as with the egr with a bit of maintenance no reason it should be problematic once changed. I mention the ZTT as it was my last car and I still have it currently I was merely pointing out I have more problems with the focus than I had with that car in the same time frame. The Ztt is in a different league to the Focus so they are not really comparable cars.

I hate my phone auto correcting everything !Removed! Chinese rubbish. Lol

Everythings chinese even rovers now lol sorry couldnt help it lol they are nice though theyre taking over the world

I will apologise for saying get a grip however it was not meant in a ride way, just remember body language plays a bit part in real life it's just the internet after all. Give them 5 years and we will all be driving Chinese made cars we buy everything else made in China and don't bat an eyelid.

Everythings chinese even rovers now lol sorry couldnt help it lol they are nice though theyre taking over the world

Technically Rover does not exist anymore other than Roewe in china which is pretty much how they would have said Rover. They own MG as JLR own the name Rover to avoid confusion over the brands when LR was sold off to Ford and then Tata. Lol

Did you buy the car with all these issues, if so, why?

i fell into the same issue, buying car with haste and didnt give it a proper check. the next morning it failed to start (new starter motor) then a few weeks later the gearbox mount unscrewed itself (suspected work done in the area), then a few weeks after that i lost heating in the car, turned out the water pump was leaking and had sucked all the coolant out.. and a few coolant pipes were also cracked/split. after a bill of £800 for a water pump, cambelt change + pipes + bonnet latch which also failed to open i was back on the road again..

i must say though driving this car its better than many cars of its class, and i never thought of letting it go.

once you get past all the niggles you will fall in love with it :)

Did you buy the car with all these issues, if so, why?

i fell into the same issue, buying car with haste and didnt give it a proper check. the next morning it failed to start (new starter motor) then a few weeks later the gearbox mount unscrewed itself (suspected work done in the area), then a few weeks after that i lost heating in the car, turned out the water pump was leaking and had sucked all the coolant out.. and a few coolant pipes were also cracked/split. after a bill of £800 for a water pump, cambelt change + pipes + bonnet latch which also failed to open i was back on the road again..

i must say though driving this car its better than many cars of its class, and i never thought of letting it go.

once you get past all the niggles you will fall in love with it :)

As with most things hindsight is wonderful. It seemed to be a good buy and a good car. It went into limp home mode and it turned out to be the glow plugs and they were done. Then it started making a rattling noise and that turned out to be the pulley and tensioner which they swapped out for a used part after the 3 month warranty, I know you can chase a dealer for the first 6 months and even longer just not sure I want the hassle of a big fight over it as they wont give in easily as won't most car dealers. It was after the pullet issue that this new issue appeared and it turns out after having a closer look today to replace the EGR it is actually broken on the EGR cooler side so the mechanic that diagnosed it for me has given me the wrong info.

gallery_56829_1619_703147.jpg

Bugger £120 quid is about the best I can see for this part. might as well put the new EGR on at the same time.

would it not be at least worth considering blanking off both ends to the egr and be done with the stupid thing? I realise some will jump up and down about the law and may mention a moral obligation not to poison our children and do the poor polar bears out of a home but it might at least save you a fortune in the short, medium and long term running costs of the car.

in saying that I don't know if you can do both ends but Im sure someone will know on here, I thought I recalled someone saying they did it too but I cant find the link.

• Like 1

Sourced a new EGR cooler for £24 plus £6 postage.

• Like 1

Well changed the EGR cooler for now. Will look at swapping out the Egr for new one when I have more time. Was a bit of a pig to change as it is awkward but got it done. I know why it failed, thin rusty metal along with bolt holding it in place missing along with possible vibration from the pulley it was not going to last long.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club