Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Major Major Flaw!!!

Ecoboost125

Hey

Well I thought I would do a little experiment as keyless is in the news at the moment for not being very secure.

So scenario main key clutch and press button like normal went and got spare key. Left both keys where I knew where they were outside somewhere together.

Then moment of truth, let's go for a drive truly keyless, well apart from a warning message saying key outside car, it worked, I only went mile - mile and a half.

But what if one cold morning I went to the car, heater on then went in to house with key, engine running, thief simply gets in car and drives off????

I will add also I read about a lady BMW driver locking her car whilst engine on, you cannot lock the fiesta when the engine is running.

So basically who and how should I escalate this to Ford???

Many thanks

Chris

Leaving a car engine running while unoccupied is illegal and can incur a fine (£30 I believe).

The offence is officially called 'Quitting'.

To that end Ford would be highly unlikely to be inclined towards assisting with this matter.

Also your insurance would be voided in the case of a theft.

Think you'll find that most keyless systems basically control the starting of the car rather than continually monitoring the presence of the key within the vehicle.

Would flatten keyfob batteries a lot quicker, and if the battery did go flat or the fob ended up in a deadspot within the car and caused the car to totally cut out while you were in the outside lane of the M6 with white van man in his sprinter behind you, in the middle of the night for example, then that'd be rather nasty for all involved.

And Ford wouldn't be keen on the lawsuits either.

• Like 1

Anyone who leaves a car running unattended anyway is asking for trouble, it's sad I know but that's how it is.

You can lock the car with the emergency key if there is one in the door lock which I used to do in the focus, but as said before your not covered by your insurance and it's illegal if left on the public highway.

Thanks for comments, I am not saying that I do it, just with all the security surrounding keyless systems at the moment, like on Watchdog etc also I just think it's a security fault, as you do hear people leaving their cars when it's cold with their keys in, but I would have thought maybe that there should be some sort of sensor or something to stop the car being driven too car from the key, I was also unaware of the "quitting" so thank you for informing.

Also I should add I drove only up my road and not on busy road and would never do!!

How is it any more of a security risk than leaving a car running with the keys in the ignition?

In fact it might be only a little better with keyless, but at least they don't get a whole bunch of house keys with the car when it's nicked, & they'll struggke to restart the car when they eventually turn it off.

• Like 1

What if you just unlocked the car and started loading shopping in, then someone gets in and gets away with it? Very very unlikely but could happen. That's why I don't like these keyless things

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

What if you just unlocked the car and started loading shopping in, then someone gets in and gets away with it? Very very unlikely but could happen. That's why I don't like these keyless things

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

it wouldn't start because the key wouldn't be close enough

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I always feel in this day and age there should be an app to program to your car so you get a phone alert if your car alarm is set off!

I locked and unlocked my car the other day holding key to my head from around half a mile away!

it wouldn't start because the key wouldn't be close enough

That's impressive, though why would you even try that? LOL

Good job the 'starting car' range is tiny! :)

Was out shopping and my toddler daughter was hyper so I decided to go to the park to let her have a run about and hopefully have an early night. Anyway while I was p*****g about I just tried it.

That's impressive, though why would you even try that? LOL

Good job the 'starting car' range is tiny! :)

• Like 1

Have you tried locking your key in the boot yet when the car is locked? I don't recommend doing it when you don't have the spare to hand just in case, but it's quite clever!

There's such a simple fix for this...

A real key without this keyless rubbish! :P

• Like 4

Who'd have thought so many people would struggle with using keyless entry/ignition.....

I dread to think how they manage to operate anything more complex, like actually driving a car.

• Like 1

I don't think people are having issues using it lol. Its security that's the issue...which is kinda the whole point of a key. :lol:

• Like 1

Top gear covered the "boosting signal of wireless unlocking/locking by holding it to your head a few years ago.. Although they buried it in a very comical scene as usual

Was a good few years ago though! :)

It's a great thing to have when you have young children, especially if your carrying a child to the car that is asleep and it's p*****g rain. The last thing you want to be doing is poking around in your pockets holding a child in the rain. I must admit Renault keyless is away better than the one on the Ford who seem to have done a half a***d job

Who'd have thought so many people would struggle with using keyless entry/ignition.....

I dread to think how they manage to operate anything more complex, like actually driving a car.

• Like 2

Yeah I seen that too. My wife tried it too from about half mile away and she couldn't get it to unlock. To which I pointed out the more intelligent you are the better the signal strength! ☺

Top gear covered the "boosting signal of wireless unlocking/locking by holding it to your head a few years ago.. Although they buried it in a very comical scene as usual

Was a good few years ago though! :)

• Like 2

I think the renault system is better, as you walk away from the car it kicks, you don't have to press a button on the handle.

I just think if they cant improve the security then they should revert to a normal key,

Am I right by saying though that the fiesta is harder to hotwire than a car with normal ignition etc??

You won't "hotwire" any of these cars with an immobiliser, but you can brick the window plug a key reader into the OBD port, get the coding, and program a new key there and then and bye bye car, thieves these days stand no chance of nicking a mk3 fiesta due to skill shortages, all new cars are very easy using the method above.

Google Audi rs4 stolen is 30 seconds, easy peasy.

• Like 1

Move or lock the OBD port.

Focus RS/ST alarm sensors have a blind spot at the front of the window that allowed people to reach in and plug something into the port. Not sure if the fiesta has the same blind spot. If not, if they can grab the remote fobs signal they may be able to open the car but, if you use keyless entry the need to break the window or somehow unlock the car without setting the alarm off.