Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1,6 Tdci Dpf Issue

Kirsty2503

Hiya I'm wondering if I could get some help please :-)

I bought a 2007 ford focus 1.6 tdci had it for 6weeks now and the turbo has already blew :-( anyways got the car back went and filled it up with diesel and the engine failure light came on :-( took it back to the garage and he has told me the dpf needs replaced and it needs filled up with some fluid which he is quoting £700 to fix but he said to try going on motorway In 3rd gear at 3000 rpm for 15mins which may clear the dpf and save me putting a new one on? Has anyone ever done this?

Thank you

Kirsty

How many miles has the car done?

It all sounds legit, a good way to clear a DPF is to drive at high revs for a time to try and clear it, but if it is too far gone, it will need replacing...

It's done 87,000 car is running great no problems with it at all that's why garage thinks it might just need a really good run.

I'd go out, let the engine warm up (so temp reading is in the middle) and then leave it in 3rd on a dual carriageway or something as they have said. Keeps revs above 3k and try and give the car a chance to regen and clear itself out...

It is more about the revs than anything else. You can drive around at 30mph in 2nd if you want.

It tends to be easier maintaining a consistent speed/high rpm on a dual carriageway or similar though...

Failing the motorway run you could do either a forced regeneration via a suitable diagnostic tool or a dpf internal gutting at it mapped out of the pcm cheaper than a new dpf AND no more problems EVER.

I presume the car has enough EOLYS fluid (dpf regen fluid) ? My missus car ran out at 80000.2ltrs counter reset jobs a goodun.

No way to check unless in service history unfortunately.

Did you buy the car privately or from a garage ?

The forced regen with a laptop and software is 4000rpm for about 5-10 minutes. It's up to you if you dare doing that on the motorway though...

BUT if you're out of [Eolys] fluid, that needs topping up first.

The DPF should be replaced at 75k miles on these though, so at your mileage, it's likely it's blocked with ash and will need replacing.

It is funny don't you think that ford say the dpf need replacing at 75000 , I have a friend who's focus is on 109000 and going strong although its all been motorway driving and 1 EOLYS top up, if mine thinks about playing up I will force a regen and or gut the thing..

I have a AA guy come to my works and he tells me he is doing more and more forced regens in central London with great success..

Not sure how much knowledge you have on this type of DPF, but additive aided DPF's clog up with ash more quickly than a coated DPF. The 75k interval is seen as more of a precautionary measure really, a motorway muncher will probably last longer, equally a London car might only last half as long.

You also can't clear ash with a forced regen so when it does fill up, that's not an option lol. Regens only clear soot, after which a small amount is left as ash...eventually that ash builds up until its causing massive backpressure which breaks the turbo and causes all sorts of other issues lol...another emmisions system that causes more hassle than its worth lol.

Though being a 2010, yours will have a coated DPF, without additive, so should last the life of the car!

I cant stand the restrictive peace of bleep bleep lol, First hint of trouble I will gut the thing , I think I will as a pet project fit a tiny door on the side of the dpf so I can get a small trowel in there and scoop out the ash like a train lololol

• Like 1

I bought the car at a garage but unfortunetly the guy is a con man which i had no idea about :-( the fluid is low but thats getting topped up tomorrow morning also the egr valve is frozen on the car to. I will speak to garage tomorrow about everything use have said :-) as im useless with cars lol but really dont fancy paying loads more when iv just bought the car and had to fit a turbo all within 6weeks.

Thanks

Kirsty

I cant stand the restrictive peace of bleep bleep lol, First hint of trouble I will gut the thing , I think I will as a pet project fit a tiny door on the side of the dpf so I can get a small trowel in there and scoop out the ash like a train lololol

Lol, you'd need a very small trowel, the holes that fill up are about 1mm square haha. :lol:

As said, you shouldn't really get issues with yours as its a newer coated one. But if you do, and you can cut and weld yourself, gutting it is the cheapest option. Though you've gotta have it mapped out after as well. And hope that they don't bring in any extra MOT emmisions tests. Too much worry and hassle for me so I'm changing mine, hopefully with my type of driving it'll outlast my ownership.

I bought the car at a garage but unfortunetly the guy is a con man which i had no idea about :-( the fluid is low but thats getting topped up tomorrow morning also the egr valve is frozen on the car to. I will speak to garage tomorrow about everything use have said :-) as im useless with cars lol but really dont fancy paying loads more when iv just bought the car and had to fit a turbo all within 6weeks.

Thanks

Kirsty

The blocked DPF probably caused the turbo failure. The stuck EGR (if stuck open) probably caused the DPF to block.

The EGR and turbo should've been covered under warranty as you bought from a garage though! The DPF isn't as its a serviceable item.

Also, when the turbo was changed, I hope it was changed along with the oil pick-up, turbo feed pipe and banjo bolts and the engine thoroughly cleaned? If not, it's likely that the new turbo won't last long. I'm sure it will have been done properly though, the garage you're using sounds like a decent one. :)

The turbo is on warranty but they have said that the turbo failed due to oil starvation so wont pay out. Im not sure what is wrong with egr it just says p1412 exhaust gas recirculationn valve frozen:

P3585 fuel additive module warning lamp request

P2458 diesel particulate filter regeneration duration.

Garage is closed today :-( so going back in morning hopefully get it sorted

Hmm, not sure about the 'frozen' EGR. Could be stuck open or closed I guess.

The turbo will ultimately fail due to oil starvation, but that's caused by other things, that's a good way for them to get out of paying for it though. :(

P2458 diesel particulate filter regeneration duration. - This is the one I keep getting, have checked everything else and forced regens but the only thing left to try is a replacement DPF for me unfortunately.

3 months warranty by law, I would have thought regardless of oil starvation etc if no fault of your own then the garage should pay for any faulty parts within that period, Best person to ask is The Dark Knight on here he is the man in regards to matters of this nature.

I am sure someone will chip in and correct if I am wrong...we need to help our fellow member me thinks !!!!

Tom me old mucker until I had my head injury I could have probably quoted all what you have said, bits and bobs pop up into my dodgy grey matter from time to time which is most frustrating, but thankfully you and others are here too spill your knowledge,

now my memory is a bit like a goldfish.....what was I saying :ermm: .

by the way

I have kidnapped an oompa loompa he has a tiny shovel but refuses to work so I will release him tomorrow and look for a pixie :iim:

Thanks for all you're help :-)

The garage i bought it from is called Durham CAr sales the man owes me £50 as i paid to much in tax as he told me it was £110 for 6months but wasnt and has sent nothing but abuse when iv asked for it back. I wrote a letter regarding all the faults and he said nothing was wrong with it when it left him. Im back at garage friday to get some fluid in which he has quoted £90? Then im going to try the motorway thing and hope it works im going to call the warranty again tomorrow its called driveaway warranty?

seriously contact dark knight on here, do not let the garage baffle you with bull s**t,

In may I bought my car 5 days later water pump went phoned garage and within 2 hours a courtesy car on my doorstep , and a couple of days later one new pump and cambelt kit free of charge.

I am sure that you should not need to pay for anything, HE is liable for the first 3 months warranty in am sure,

personally if you can just return the car stating not fit for purpose PLEASE correct me if I havnt quite got that right someone.

DARK KNIGHT PLEASE ADVISE THIS LADY !!!!

This chap/garage sounds like a right iffy so un so....

Its dealers like that which gives car dealers a bad name....

Evening. Don't worry about the warranty. He can play all the small print cards he likes, it has no say on your statutory rights.

Rather than me wading in here and reciting all SOGA rights, the key card he would play if you tried to reject the car would be to say that you have had it X amount of weeks and so you have now accepted the goods. What he fails to realise is that goods that become faulty at any point within 6 months of delivery to the buyer are taken to have been faulty on the day of delivery to the buyer.

Case law also shows that time spent requesting repairs and having them carried out is not to be counted when deciding if enough time has passed to show that the customer has accepted the goods.

Obviously, there is a lower expectation of quality and durability with 2nd hand cars but this seems pretty grim. Mileage seems well within expectations for a 2007 car too.

I take it you paid less than £10,000 in which case it is suitable for the small claims court. In the small claims court, you just pay the fees to get the case before the court (which are relatively low, say £200-£400 typically for this sort of thing at a guess).

Worst case is you lose at court and that's it. You don't have to pay his legal fees etc. Nothing further to pay. If you win, he has to refund your money paid for the car and pay your fees so you get the initial outlay back.

I'm always happy to help but I must say that these dealers will always win when the customer is not prepared to go all the way. They sit back and laugh because 9 out of 10 customers will not pursue the case to court even with a strong argument. One lady featured on watchdog filed a claim against the mighty Curry's when her washing machine failed outside of its warranty. All their power and money and they caved in one day before the court hearing!

So, how far are you prepared to push this?

Another thing, don't have any more work done on it, just reject it if you want to go down that road. No longer using the car will help your case but you can argue necessity if you still use it so not a massive issue at all.

Also, forget the phone. Use emails (and save them) and recorded mail.

Well Kirsty I hope that may give you a glimmer of hope.

The idea of rejecting the car was me I am afraid Dave....

Thank you Dave TOP MAN !!!!

Thank you so much this is very helpful. Im currently going through trading standards the now i have written to letters to the garage and had no reply so i have one more to write on thursday all have been recorded delivery. Im willing to go all the way as his text messages have been awful and rude. He doesnt have a website he sells his cars on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161464415846 that is a link to the car he sells he told me the car also came with a full service history and a new service done when i got it but i never. I paid £4000 for the car. Only got it as my family all stay in glasgow so to travel from newcastle to glasgow is a lot cheaper with a diesel.

Thank you for youre help

No problem. You can of course use your rights to demand a repair rather than reject but in my opinion, rejecting is appropriate here. His attitude speaks volumes.

What involvement have trading standards had? What have they advised you?

You would need to send a letter stating your wish to reject the car for a refund under SOGA and give them time to respond. Say 7-10 days at the most.

You then send a letter before action informing them of your actions in taking them to court and give time to respond.

Finally you fill in an N1 claim form. All sorts of websites such as citizens advice show how best to fill one in if you want to have a look.

Assuming he doesn't see the light before it gets that far! Might be worth paying a local and trusted garage to do a report on the car if it goes to court. It would be strong evidence and you could claim the cost back. You would need to do it before filling in the claim form really though because you list the amount you are claiming for on the form. You would include the report fee.