Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Capacity - Focus

peddyp

Morning,

I have had a 63 plate Focus for a few weeks now.

The Fuel remainign reading in the trip computer has never been right. If I get it down to 10 miles remaining, then fill up I only get to around 45 litres and the capacity is 53 litres.

Without driving in to the unknown when it shows as empty, is there a way to reset this?

Cheers

The stated capacity of 53 litres includes the reserve, the distance to 0 doesn't.

If you went right down to 0 miles remaining and then kept filling to the brim of the tank, it should be around 48 litres.

That 10 miles is computed from your average fuel figure, so the amount of fuel remaining, plus the reserve, will vary according to the average.

Stan

is the reserve a set amount then? be good to know how much more I can get out of it if the need should ever arise!

Reserve is normally 5L.

But it is there for a reason, you don't want the car to run dry...

If you wait until the fuel is almost empty before refilling, that car wont last very long. especially if it is a diesel

So its nt like the mk2 where the reserve is part of the total fuel and when you get to 50 miles remaining the reserve light comes on?

I'm always surprised how little fuel my car takes when I fill up from nearly empty (50 mile Warning),

It only took 44 litres last time (of 55 litre tank), meaning there was roughly 11 litres still in the car,

11 Litres is 2.42 Gallons, lets says 32mpg and that is a range of 77.44 miles in theory.

I have no idea if the 50 Mile Warning is a set amount of fuel left, or if it varies depending on the current average mpg,
But it looks like there is a 25 mile (average mpg) reserve until actually empty, not that I would ever want to find out though.

Some diesel cars will induce a misfire once the fuel hits a certain low level limit and if you were to try keep driving the car, eventually shut itself down before it runs dry. This is to protect the fuel pump from burning itself out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club