Do Not Sell My Personal Information

125 Ecoboost 1.0 Gear Change Points.

winemart2

I'll get some figures tomorrow but I'm amazed at the revs at which the car thinks I should change up. When in 3rd it'll suggest a change to 4th, if I do it's revving at ~500 rpm, seems far too low. I was hoping for ~1000rpm per 25mph in 5th (same as XR2 MkII), it's far less than 1000, unbelievable and in danger of labouring IMO.
The worst thing is the length of 2nd gear. Approaching a roundabout at ~15mph, adjusting speed to "drop-in" to an upcoming gap, as you insert and hit the go pedal, no power. Anything below ~1500rpm and you're stuffed. I know it's the turbo but haven't yet found a solution.
Pulling away fastish is also a prob, unless you rev and slip the clutch (which I almost never have done in 50 years), forget it.
Otherwise, I just love the car and steering is like driving on rails.
:)
Before I collected the car I updated my insurance, between me and the ford dealer I/we got the numberplate wrong so I drove it back from Wales (at 70+ in places) with no insurance :oops: ;)

Great fun.

The change indicator adapts to your driving. If the car is new suggest you ignore it for now and drive normally. Turbo gives boost from aprox 1400 RPM so aim for that when changing until the car settles down a bit.

• Like 1

I change up at 2600-3000 rpm in all gears as then it always drops back into the turbo range so not laboring it...

5th gear isn't made for acceleration it's a cruising gear, get up to speed in 4th then drop into 5th for economy.

As for acceleration, just use 1st until about 3500 change to 2nd and then 3rd pretty quick and it'll be gone! I don't normally do that but when it comes to small gaps on traffic I'm gone :D

Ignore the gear change indicator it's ridiculous :P

As said it adapts to your driving style my focus (same engine as yours) tells me to change at about 2000rpm in the lower gears I usually change at 3000rpm to get more go! Once I'm in higher gears I usually change at 2000 or below

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I only change gear at 6KRPM in all gears, never a problem with Labouring then.

• Like 1

I only change gear at 6KRPM in all gears, never a problem with Labouring then.

Its also a lot of fun :lol:

Innit, I sometimes just drive in 2nd gear only and just go on boost and off, quite nice to hear the HISS! over and over. there are proper dump valves out for this now too.

It adapts to your driving? I'm pretty sure it just tells you to change at bang on 2000rpm in every gear.

It adapts to your driving? I'm pretty sure it just tells you to change at bang on 2000rpm in every gear.

Well maybe it doesn't but mine doesn't always tell me to change at 2000rpm! Or not that I've noticed anyway...

Mine sometimes decides it wants me to change up at like 1600... ST can handle it though!

But +1 to what Matt said, essentially just red line it every where, more exhilarating that way ;)

Got to admit I don't like 2nd and 3rd gear in my 100ps version, but I do think the acceleration is good at higher revs and overtaking is a breeze. But ye the handling is unreal I've been flying round the bends, my blackbox car insurance company really isn't liking it though.

Well maybe it doesn't but mine doesn't always tell me to change at 2000rpm! Or not that I've noticed anyway...

The manual says it won't indicate to change up at the same RPM if you are accelerating hard.

What gear change indicator? I learned to drive in cars without rev counters etc and learnt where the sweet spot for changing gear is by sound and feel of the car. Changes depending on road conditions, how full the car is and how briskly I want to make progress. Be very impressed if the car can adjust for all of these factors in real time.

• Like 3

In the Fiesta I learnt in it was a little useful, then in my old Fiesta there wasn't one, and in my new one it's just pointless as if you shifted when it said progress would be so slow!

At the end of the day, it's a guide. If you disagree don't shift, nobody is making you!

• Like 1

Surprised it doesnt have a change down too.

Surprised it doesnt have a change down too.

It does but only seems to come on if the engine is really struggling

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

It does but only seems to come on if the engine is really struggling

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Never seen that.

To the OP, I found the best way to set off quick from a stop in the 1.0 was to give it minimal amount of revs so as to get out of the clutch asap, then as soon as clutch fully de-pressed, floor it. As you run it in it will be happier to cruise below 1500rpm on flat roads, but as said, don't expect to be able to accelerate, you'll need to change down for that. Mine used to cruise at ~33mph in 5th on flat roads without labouring. Took a few thousand miles though before it was happy doing it.

I'd recommend regularly giving it some red line action to get it freed up as its a very tight engine from new

• Like 1

Only done ~200 miles so far and not over ~3K rpm. I'll have to start ramping it up.

Only done ~200 miles so far and not over ~3K rpm. I'll have to start ramping it up.

Its best practice to use the full rev range of a new engine, and to avoid labouring the engine.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club