Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

snowymondeo

I've just bought a 12plate 163bhp mondeo estate I've had it for about 4 weeks and I'm very disappointed with the MPG I'm getting. I'm only getting about 36/38 mpg normal driving and only about 40/41 on the motorway

Is this normal.? Any help would be great

Are those 'audited' tank-full-to-tank-full measurements, or just reading from the (somewhat inaccurate) dash display?

In any case, those are on the low side, but it could be down to many things.

• It is a little unreasonable to expect to get the 'official' figures, in normal driving, and that applies to any car. Some are further off than others, however, and, as I say, yours are on the low side.
  • I usually advise people to check wheels and tyres first. I once had a mate who spent more than six months trying to track down a fuel economy and performance problem, only to find that his brakes were sticking, a little. In the interim, we found a few more hp, but that wasn't really all that useful until the brake sticking problen went away.
  • Your mpg delta (to what I'd expect) is probably a bit larger than you would expect from just poor tyres, but that could be a factor. 'Bad' tracking might do it, so how do the tyres look?
  • Details like what fuel you use and its service history and how many miles it has done would help.

Tyres are all new and all the same brand.

I'd recently did 350miles of about 150 miles of motorway and rest town mileage and I got 39mpg and that was worked out by me not the computer. I just thought I'd get more as the figures say it should be a lot more

Also what gearbox you have makes a big difference. I have a 2.0TDCI on an 08 plate with an automatic box. I average 34mpg back and forth to work along country roads, and 45mpg on motorway driving. Which I think is pretty good for an auto.

Hi there, I have a manual 163 on an 11 plate and going to work and back with 4 people on board cruising at 70mph get 50mpg although the readout shows 55-ish. (My commute is 95% motorway)

I am getting on 09 140 tdci around 31.7 around town and on my commute to work which is 40mile motorway journey each way about 42.3 and that's pretty much at 60 all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

on my 10 plate 140 tdci im getting 52mpg mostly motorway driving

Hi there,

If I'm telling you how to suck eggs, I apologise but... I manage to get on average 53mpg from my 1.8tdci 2010. 90% of my driving (500 miles per week) is motorway. I have always found if I look after her, she looks after me. I avoid cheap supermarket fuel and usually stick to Shell V-power (keeps your engine cleaner, runs better), I change the oil and filter every 6k miles with high quality fully synthetic 5/30, I don't carry any extra weight in the boot, I fitted a performance air filter (pipercross), I avoid using A/C as well. Ah, one more thing, I usually don't drive fater than 60 on my commute to work... that alone made a huge difference.

Hope this is of at least some help :)

p.s. don't trust the dashboard read out. Reset your trip when you fill up. The next time you fill up you'll know how far you've gone and how many litres you just put in. This will give you your true fule economy.

I use only v power diesel but I just think there is something majorly wrong with my car

I use only v power diesel but I just think there is something majorly wrong with my car

mickyg your having problems with that garage am i right you would proberly getmore help on the facebook pages post your story on there

Hi Thanks

I'm having it plugged in at a garage who is a ford expert next week to see if they is any underlining problem.

Because only getting 35ish around town is rubbish, so I'm just hoping something is found as it's a lovely car to drive

mickyg your having problems with that garage am i right you would proberly getmore help on the facebook pages post your story on there

Yeah I am nothing but trouble and I don't have Facebook otherwise I would

• 2 weeks later...

2.0tdci 2008 zetec getting 57.9 on long runs 50.2 on short drives really happy

Aye mate was shocked filled her up came down this week to Northampton for work and that's the avg im getting

I filled up drove from Newcastle to Sunderland then the boro doing 155 miles and filled back up and I got 29.8 mpg

God that's not good mate best bet get it checked out there is a garage on Sunderland Road called Peartree garage they do my father in laws taxi and a lot of Dean taxi work they have full diagnostics there dead cheap id get em have a look mate

Every garage I have took it to said its normal for these cars it's got 88000 miles on clock and I don't drive like s tool plus it only run on v power diesel

I've put a Dtuk tuning box on mine, now I get about 50mpg average on a full tank, doing a decent long trip I can get into the mid 60's mpg. Give them a call mate, they are only in Stanley and it's a decent enough price.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Never had a remap so can't really answer the question but I fully recommend the tuning box

Where abouts do you live? I could let you have a go of mine to see the difference

Yeah just into the common rail line, I will take a pic next time I have a chance. I'm doing a job at Ovingham so just down the road

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club