Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

More Speed Camera Goodness

jeebowhite

Just came across this, technology had to move on I guess but means those with heavy right foot syndrome...

http://www.perrys.co.uk/car-news/news/stealth-cameras-introduced-target-motorway-drivers/?referring_site=fbp

Good for Ford to have the recognition lol even if it is coming from a dealer lol

Pretty sure the German's have studied this. They found that the difference in survivability between 70 and 130+ was negligible.

What really matters is the "Golden Hour"

Besides, the 70 limit was originally intended as a temporary measure and was based on the top speed of the then fastest Police Car...Ford Anglia, if I remember rightly.

Nobody really paid much attention to it as most cars wouldn't hit 70 even if they'd been pushed off a cliff!!

• Like 2

love the name Stealth cameras what they going to do paint them camouflage or put cloaks of invisibility over them xD

Nah they put them up and they look like traffic monitoring cameras to you or I, then qhwn we least expect it, flash flash!

• Like 1

Pretty sure the German's have studied this. They found that the difference in survivability between 70 and 130+ was negligible.

Surely accidents are more likely at higher speeds though? Yes if you hit a stationary vehicle at 70 or 130, you'll be dead, but at 70 you might be able to swerve out of the way. At 130 you'd probably take out about 3 other vehicles in front of the one you hit.

• Like 1

From what I gather the study was survival at those speeds as opposed to Road safety lol

• Like 1

says you wont get a fine untill over 79mph lol
Most times i drive at 72mph top is 75ish mph so im sorted (75 ish overtaking other traffic if other traffic isnt doing 90 lol)

• Like 1

It's the same under most speed cameras anyway....

• Like 1

Surely accidents are more likely at higher speeds though? Yes if you hit a stationary vehicle at 70 or 130, you'll be dead, but at 70 you might be able to swerve out of the way. At 130 you'd probably take out about 3 other vehicles in front of the one you hit.

Research suggests that the majority of people will drive to the conditions.

Those that don't are the one's who still come screaming up the outside lane of a motorway at 130 in the rain. Think it was one of the Scandinavian countries that abolished all speed limits outside of residential areas. The accident rate dropped - they attributed it to the fact that because there was no limit, there was no target, and as I just mentioned - people drove to the conditions

• Like 1

Those that don't are the one's who still come screaming up the outside lane of a motorway at 130 in the rain. Think it was one of the Scandinavian countries that abolished all speed limits outside of residential areas. The accident rate dropped - they attributed it to the fact that because there was no limit, there was no target, and as I just mentioned - people drove to the conditions

It's not as straight forward as that...there are many many variables.... Like some !Removed! in a vauxhall...

So the big question is: "do they have any vauxhalls on their roads?"

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 2

I'd like to read about that if you you know which country it was or if you have a link to any info on it. If that actually works I'm all for it, but I'm sceptical until I see some proof. It kind of makes sense, a bit like those roads where they remove all the markings so drivers have to figure it out for themselves, and I think it reduced accidents involving pedestrians.

• Like 1

Look at autobahn accident rate figures for example.

Sadly you get some people on UK roads who struggle at the speed limit...

Whatever happens would have to be a gradual increase in speed... Tomorrow 80mph max, couple years 90mph, etcetc unless of course a memo went out to all normal people to stay off the roads for a few days whilst the chav prats go and wipe themselves out in the first week...

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 1

I can't find the articles I read - I'll have a look when I've found my laptop charger lol

Personally, I think de-restrict 3-lane+ Motorways and improve driver training. If I remember rightly, German learner drivers have a separate Autobahn test

• Like 1

Education is one thing but hands on experience is another. I think tracks should be opened to driving instructors and with that said pan training. Get the driver confident and practice at speeds for all eventualities and any speed Road will see improvement.

• Like 1

I can't find the articles I read - I'll have a look when I've found my laptop charger lol

Personally, I think de-restrict 3-lane+ Motorways and improve driver training. If I remember rightly, German learner drivers have a separate Autobahn test

Have to agree with you here. I did pass plus and going on a motorway the first time was during that training - Turns out it wasn't a big deal for me, but it's a big ask to be trundling around at 30mph - 60mph (max) passing your test then being let loose on a 70mph *ahem* road..

@James, that just sounds like a good excuse to go mad :lol: .....I like it!

• Like 1

One thing I don't understand is, aren't some autobahns only 2 lanes, and does that mean if there's any chance a vehicle might move out to overtake it's a bad idea to be doing 150mph? Even when there are 3 lanes there must be some general rules about when it's safe to travel at very high speeds i.e. not when there is a lorry anywhere in view lol.

One thing I don't understand is, aren't some autobahns only 2 lanes, and does that mean if there's any chance a vehicle might move out to overtake it's a bad idea to be doing 150mph? Even when there are 3 lanes there must be some general rules about when it's safe to travel at very high speeds i.e. not when there is a lorry anywhere in view lol.

As far as I know the Autobahn isn't unrestricted completely, from what I've heard there are many stretches where speed limits apply, perhaps it's on two lane sections. Also I guess there is probably a bit of a grey area in the law where you can be deemed to be driving dangerously due to speed... perhaps driving to conditions.. as you mentioned, not doing 150mph need trucks might be a good start :/

I believe that on the 2-lane sections that wagons are NOT allowed to overtake.

I also vaguely remember watching one of those Police, Camera, Action type shows that the majority of accidents were on the sliproads or roads very close to Autobahn Exits. Which doesn't help my arguement much lol

As for learning to drive - I was quite lucky in that the new (well, 6 years old) Test Centre is off the A180 - 70mph Dual Carriageway. My first motorway drive was with my Dad. Drove down to see my Nanna near Cambridge lol

Not sure all autobahns are limit free

I believe that on the 2-lane sections that wagons are NOT allowed to overtake.

I also vaguely remember watching one of those Police, Camera, Action type shows that the majority of accidents were on the sliproads or roads very close to Autobahn Exits. Which doesn't help my arguement much lol

As for learning to drive - I was quite lucky in that the new (well, 6 years old) Test Centre is off the A180 - 70mph Dual Carriageway. My first motorway drive was with my Dad. Drove down to see my Nanna near Cambridge lol

I can imagine accidents around Autobahn exits would be fairly common, ever find it when you've been driving 2 hours or so at 70mph, you decide to turn into a service station or something and you think "this is so damn slow" only to look at your speedo and see that you're still doing 45-50.... if I'd been driving at 150mph I'd hate to think what it would be like...

• Like 1

You also have to weigh up the benefits of increasing the speed limit i.e. journey times (are there any other benefits?). Germany is much bigger than the UK so journey times are more of an issue, and I assume traffic to and from other countries adds to this as well, at least more so than in the UK.

• Like 1

You also have to weigh up the benefits of increasing the speed limit i.e. journey times (are there any other benefits?). Germany is much bigger than the UK so journey times are more of an issue, and I assume traffic to and from other countries adds to this as well, at least more so than in the UK.

and fuel economy :lol: Mines bad enough already!

and fuel economy :lol: Mines bad enough already!

And for that reason I would still cruise at 60,sad fact is the only time bigger speed limits would save me are on emergencies. For example having to fly half way up the country because of a family emergency, but to be fair emergencies are normally granted leeway of some form by judges with a heart lol

• Like 1

And for that reason I would still cruise at 60,sad fact is the only time bigger speed limits would save me are on emergencies. For example having to fly half way up the country because of a family emergency, but to be fair emergencies are normally granted leeway of some form by judges with a heart lol

My fiancée comes from an island that's 9x5 miles, so I tend to get the 'how long left' thing going on quite a bit :lol: I'd be tempted to push the speed up a smidge.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club