Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta Automatic Gearbox

10corsham

Hello.. While waiting for delivery of a new fiesta 1.4 automatic I am trying to learn as much as I can about the automatic gearbox.

Looking though a driver’s handbook for a fiesta at the local showroom I could not discover much about the automatic gearbox.

Does it have a reservoir for the automatic gearbox fluid? Is there a dipstick for checking the level of the fluid? How does one over-ride the auto box for making manual changes? None of these points seem to be apparent from the handbook.

Does any enthusiast have any info?

Any pointers gratefully received...

10corsham

Hello.. While waiting for delivery of a new fiesta 1.4 automatic I am trying to learn as much as I can about the automatic gearbox.

Looking though a driver’s handbook for a fiesta at the local showroom I could not discover much about the automatic gearbox.

Does it have a reservoir for the automatic gearbox fluid? Is there a dipstick for checking the level of the fluid? How does one over-ride the auto box for making manual changes? None of these points seem to be apparent from the handbook.

Does any enthusiast have any info?

Any pointers gratefully received...

10corsham

Hi there, I've had my 1.4 automatic titanium for a few weeks now and am very pleased with the auto box. Not sure about the brake fluid though. I'm no mechanic but I would have thought it should only need checking on its yearly service unless you happen to have some problem with it. better check with a mechanic though.

Regards over-riding the auto box for making the manual changes you simply flick it sideways, towards you the driver, it then tells you on the dashboard what gear it is in. you can then change gear manually by flicking it slightly forwards or backwards ( + or - ) to change up or down when you want to. Its like a sequential type. However, for example if you tried to change up from 3rd to 4th but were going too slow it will remain in 3rd and you need to wait until you have increased speed a little (usually about 30 mph) Or if you want to remain in 3rd (to accelerate quicker and for longer) just simply leave it in 3rd. On the otherhand though when you have it in manual mode (lets say in 4th) and you slow down to make a turn or whatever, although you are in manual mode it will change down a gear, or two, itself.

So even in manual you dont have to think or worry what ACTUAL gear you are in you simply have the choice of sequentially changing up or down a gear should you choose to. When you want to be back in fully auto mode at any point at all just tap it to the left again, back into D. I much prefer it to other standard auto boxes I've had where you literally have to choose between manual 1, or 2, or 3.

Might look a little complicated when you see it written like I have here but in practice it is really simple and easy. I got used to it very quickly. Its really smooth too.

As Reiki says; The automatic gearbox oil will only need checking once a year on its main service and in all probability won't need topping-up

for years! I have had only auto gearboxes for the past 15 years now & I honestly can't remember the last time I needed an oil top-up for the

gearbox!

As Reiki says; The automatic gearbox oil will only need checking once a year on its main service and in all probability won't need topping-up

for years! I have had only auto gearboxes for the past 15 years now & I honestly can't remember the last time I needed an oil top-up for the

gearbox!

gearbox!

Thanks to Nightowl and Reiki.

I am a little puzzled ...Even before delivery I have obtained the printed schedule for the 12,000 24,000 and 36,000 mile services for this vehicle (1.4 Fiesta Style Auto) from the dealer.

I have found no mention of checking or replenishing the automatic gearbox fluid.

It may be a misprint or an omission. I will go to the dealer and query this. I do not know whether the vehicle will be fitted with the Durashift or the newer Powershift auto gearbox.. I’ll keep you up to date with further info.

Thanks to Nightowl and Reiki.

I am a little puzzled ...Even before delivery I have obtained the printed schedule for the 12,000 24,000 and 36,000 mile services for this vehicle (1.4 Fiesta Style Auto) from the dealer.

I have found no mention of checking or replenishing the automatic gearbox fluid.

It may be a misprint or an omission. I will go to the dealer and query this. I do not know whether the vehicle will be fitted with the Durashift or the newer Powershift auto gearbox.. I’ll keep you up to date with further info.

Do please keep me up to date 10corsham about the auto gearbox mate. I have ordered the Titanium automatic & would love to

know your thoughts on it when you take delivery. Mine's not due 'til September - so any thoughts/impressions would be most helpful.

Unfortunately the auto gearbox is the old fashioned torque converter and not the powershift version. Shame really. I would opt for a focus with the powershift. You will get better mpg and a beter drive.

I have been trying to find out what kind of automatic box has the new fiesta... but nobody new it! not even in Ford, it seemed to be a big mistery.

Some body said it was an automated manual which, for me, is jerky and unconvenient as it doesn't hold the car in a ramp. Others said it was a CVT, the one with belts and pulleys... And others said it was the old standard torque converter and planetary gears, that holds the car in a ramp and is smooth and well tried.

Yesterday I found it! Amy had the good idea of posting her new car's features and there it was: 4F27E. That is the torque converter variety, the "good" one. If you search for it in Google you will get all the details.

Ford says the electronic throttle responses have been tuned and sharpened up to accommodate the auto gearbox application on the new Fiesta - and

from the handful of reviews I've read on the web and in print - the auto version is sharp, lively & very smooth.

10% of all new Fiesta's sold will be automatic ones too.

Ford says the electronic throttle responses have been tuned and sharpened up to accommodate the auto gearbox application on the new Fiesta - and

from the handful of reviews I've read on the web and in print - the auto version is sharp, lively & very smooth.

10% of all new Fiesta's sold will be automatic ones too.

I have made an error about the servicing schedule. There is a comment about checking auto fluid level. I must be getting too excited about the forthcoming delivery and I didn’t see it!

It appears the box will be the Durashift version of the automatic.

However, I’ll get back to the forum with a fully detailed report as soon as my Fiesta appears

Unfortunately the auto gearbox is the old fashioned torque converter and not the powershift version. Shame really. I would opt for a focus with the powershift. You will get better mpg and a beter drive.

Sorry but I don't agree. In normal city driving the "old fashioned" torque converter has important advantages over the new dual clutch automatics like the DSG, or its copy Powershift. The torque converter boxes hold your car in a ramp which is very nice, specially when parking backwards in a ramp, and are much more progresive and the gas easier to dose when parking. They are less efficient and a bit slower than the dual clutch ones but its advantages overweight them in my opinion.

The Fiesta auto has been 'tweaked' by Ford:

http://www.ford.co.uk/AboutFord/News/Vehic...icallyExcellent

I don't understand all that technical talk. I probably don't need it anyhow as my mileage is so little.

But if they have upgraded the Automatic, that pisses me off cos I always want the new upgrades!

Darn, its just like owning an apple iPod all over again and then they bring out a new one as soon as you buy it! :lol: :lol:

I don't understand all that technical talk. I probably don't need it anyhow as my mileage is so little.

But if they have upgraded the Automatic, that pisses me off cos I always want the new upgrades!

Darn, its just like owning an apple iPod all over again and then they bring out a new one as soon as you buy it! :lol: :lol:

"New" doesn't always mean "better". You have often prised your car's driveability, and you can bet that a big part of that enjoyment is due to the "old fashioned" toque converter auto box.

Sorry but I don't agree. In normal city driving the "old fashioned" torque converter has important advantages over the new dual clutch automatics like the DSG, or its copy Powershift. The torque converter boxes hold your car in a ramp which is very nice, specially when parking backwards in a ramp, and are much more progresive and the gas easier to dose when parking. They are less efficient and a bit slower than the dual clutch ones but its advantages overweight them in my opinion.

Fair comment, but powershift gives an extra 10% improvement in fuel economy over the automatic torque convertor version and probably 10% more power at the wheels. I have driven the Audi TT and the gear changes are very quick. Yes it will roll back on anything more than a slight incline , but then thats what the handbrake is for and is how manual gearboxes are driven. The future is double clutch automatics. BMW is launching their vesrion soon. I only wish Ford would install theirs on the new Galaxy, I am ready to buy one.

I've read somewhere Ford are going to use the powershift on the 1.6 Fiesta when it's launched in America

.............. "Yes it will roll back on anything more than a slight incline , but then thats what the handbrake is for and is how manual gearboxes are driven".....................

You said it: Manual boxes, Powershift and DSG require the handbrake (and some skill) in a ramp, but if we have available an auto box that does that work easily for us why must we buy the other ones.

I own a BMW 325i six cylinder 220HP with the standard torque converter ZF autobox, and find it to be very fast to change gears and a delight to drive in city, road, mountain or whatever.

But you are right about the superior efficiency of the Powershift which is important when dealing with the scarce HP and torque of the Fiesta 1.4 engine. We can't have everything...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club