Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focu 1.8 TDCi 115bhp
  • Year: 2002

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

I will be looking at a 2002 ford focus 1.8 TDCi LX tomorrow and was wondering if there is any way that I can easily check the cambelt for any signs of wear. The bloke from the garage said that it had been changed at 60k, but I don't trust what any car salesman tells me and I don't think that there is any paper work to prove the work has been done.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 dfoord

dfoord

Dave Foord

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 Titanium Automatic Petrol
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

:o

I will be looking at a 2002 ford focus 1.8 TDCi LX tomorrow and was wondering if there is any way that I can easily check the cambelt for any signs of wear. The bloke from the garage said that it had been changed at 60k, but I don't trust what any car salesman tells me and I don't think that there is any paper work to prove the work has been done.

:o If you dont trust him dont buy it (as they say in the advert) SIMPLES

#3 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

cambelts do not usually show signs of wear they just snap, i would not risk buying if there is no prove of the work being done.

#4 gwengo

gwengo

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focu 1.8 TDCi 115bhp

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

cheers guys, your right, think I'm gonna leave it well alone

#5 Daniel

Daniel

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: 2000 Focus 1.8 Zetec 5dr
Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

I know it's probably too late now, but I wouldn't let that put me off. I'd just make sure I got a sweet enough deal to have the belt replaced anyway.

#6 bill07

bill07

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

The cam belt on the tdci is about as easy to change as they come. If the car is in good knick and thats the only thing putting you off, buy it and get one fitted. I always fit a new cam belt and service any car i buy or my family and friends buy regardless of what I'm told.

#7 zev

zev

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: Ibolya
  • Ford Model: focus i.6L lx petrol

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

hi, I've been told that you cant just change the cambelt you have to fit the full kit including tentioners and pulleys is that correct. I'm still hearing differant tales. How much is the kit as I may be able to get a friend to fit mine. Also is a difficult job.
zev

#8 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,792 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

hi, I've been told that you cant just change the cambelt you have to fit the full kit including tentioners and pulleys is that correct. I'm still hearing differant tales. How much is the kit as I may be able to get a friend to fit mine. Also is a difficult job.
zev

you can fit just the belt if you want but its false economy. its not always the belt that fails first, a seized or worn tensioner or guide can throw the belt off or cause it to fail prematurely..

for the extra few quid and peace of mind, its worth while replacing the whole lot while its all in bits

#9 jmurray01

jmurray01

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Flight 3dr 1.3 Endura-E
  • Year: 2001

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Occasionally, and I can't emphasize that word enough, cambelts will show cracks or marks that look like stretch marks about 10,000 - 15,000 miles before they snap, but in 90% of cases, they will look brand new right till they snap in 2 pieces!!

If you don't trust the salesman, don't buy the car!

As dfoord said - SIMPLES!

#10 zev

zev

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Occasionally, and I can't emphasize that word enough, cambelts will show cracks or marks that look like stretch marks about 10,000 - 15,000 miles before they snap, but in 90% of cases, they will look brand new right till they snap in 2 pieces!!

If you don't trust the salesman, don't buy the car!

As dfoord said - SIMPLES!

When i bought my 2002 focus in june the salesman had no paperwork on any cambelt change so he said it was probably the origianl belt so he fitted me a new belt. It wasnt untill after that I found out that the tentioner and pulleys should of been changed as well. So I suppose to play it safe I should have the lot done. Is it better to buy parts from ford or will any other reputable dealer be ok as long as its quality.I'm hoping my friend will be able to fit it. Is it a difficult job, my friend likes to fix his own cars but I dont want to put him out to much.
zev

#11 jmurray01

jmurray01

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Don't worry, the tensioner and pulleys don't need to be changed. Just wait till the next cambelt change then get it done. Personally, I think every second cambelt change is the time to replace all the pulleys and tensioner.

#12 zev

zev

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Don't worry, the tensioner and pulleys don't need to be changed. Just wait till the next cambelt change then get it done. Personally, I think every second cambelt change is the time to replace all the pulleys and tensioner.

Thats what my friend said you've fitted a new belt so need to worry just yet. But it still does lol. My last car was a vectra and the belt broke a few months after buying it.Luckily enough it did'nt do too much damage but it still cost me over £400. Thats why I'm worried about this one.( My focus has 94000 on the clock )
zev

#13 jmurray01

jmurray01

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

It has 94k and has only just had the belt changed now!?

That says a lot about the previous owners vigilance on maintenance!

#14 zev

zev

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

It has 94k and has only just had the belt changed now!?

That says a lot about the previous owners vigilance on maintenance!

Well it is a lovely car .
zev

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,927 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Well it is a lovely car .
zev

i love these posts you dont need to get the tensioners and pulleys done yes you do the tensioner is what in 98 percent of cases fails even the experts will advise 60k for the tensioner you put just a belt and the tensioner goes it takes out the belt and the engine a tensioner on the ford is a must as its a preloaded one it doesnt last forever and to be honest just a belt may or may not last if it doesnt you know why

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users