Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check a cambelt

gwengo

I will be looking at a 2002 ford focus 1.8 TDCi LX tomorrow and was wondering if there is any way that I can easily check the cambelt for any signs of wear. The bloke from the garage said that it had been changed at 60k, but I don't trust what any car salesman tells me and I don't think that there is any paper work to prove the work has been done.

:o

I will be looking at a 2002 ford focus 1.8 TDCi LX tomorrow and was wondering if there is any way that I can easily check the cambelt for any signs of wear. The bloke from the garage said that it had been changed at 60k, but I don't trust what any car salesman tells me and I don't think that there is any paper work to prove the work has been done.

:o If you dont trust him dont buy it (as they say in the advert) SIMPLES

cambelts do not usually show signs of wear they just snap, i would not risk buying if there is no prove of the work being done.

cheers guys, your right, think I'm gonna leave it well alone

I know it's probably too late now, but I wouldn't let that put me off. I'd just make sure I got a sweet enough deal to have the belt replaced anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

The cam belt on the tdci is about as easy to change as they come. If the car is in good knick and thats the only thing putting you off, buy it and get one fitted. I always fit a new cam belt and service any car i buy or my family and friends buy regardless of what I'm told.

• 1 year later...

hi, I've been told that you cant just change the cambelt you have to fit the full kit including tentioners and pulleys is that correct. I'm still hearing differant tales. How much is the kit as I may be able to get a friend to fit mine. Also is a difficult job.

zev

hi, I've been told that you cant just change the cambelt you have to fit the full kit including tentioners and pulleys is that correct. I'm still hearing differant tales. How much is the kit as I may be able to get a friend to fit mine. Also is a difficult job.

zev

you can fit just the belt if you want but its false economy. its not always the belt that fails first, a seized or worn tensioner or guide can throw the belt off or cause it to fail prematurely..

for the extra few quid and peace of mind, its worth while replacing the whole lot while its all in bits

Occasionally, and I can't emphasize that word enough, cambelts will show cracks or marks that look like stretch marks about 10,000 - 15,000 miles before they snap, but in 90% of cases, they will look brand new right till they snap in 2 pieces!!

If you don't trust the salesman, don't buy the car!

As dfoord said - SIMPLES!

Occasionally, and I can't emphasize that word enough, cambelts will show cracks or marks that look like stretch marks about 10,000 - 15,000 miles before they snap, but in 90% of cases, they will look brand new right till they snap in 2 pieces!!

If you don't trust the salesman, don't buy the car!

As dfoord said - SIMPLES!

When i bought my 2002 focus in june the salesman had no paperwork on any cambelt change so he said it was probably the origianl belt so he fitted me a new belt. It wasnt untill after that I found out that the tentioner and pulleys should of been changed as well. So I suppose to play it safe I should have the lot done. Is it better to buy parts from ford or will any other reputable dealer be ok as long as its quality.I'm hoping my friend will be able to fit it. Is it a difficult job, my friend likes to fix his own cars but I dont want to put him out to much.

zev

Don't worry, the tensioner and pulleys don't need to be changed. Just wait till the next cambelt change then get it done. Personally, I think every second cambelt change is the time to replace all the pulleys and tensioner.

Don't worry, the tensioner and pulleys don't need to be changed. Just wait till the next cambelt change then get it done. Personally, I think every second cambelt change is the time to replace all the pulleys and tensioner.

Thats what my friend said you've fitted a new belt so need to worry just yet. But it still does lol. My last car was a vectra and the belt broke a few months after buying it.Luckily enough it did'nt do too much damage but it still cost me over £400. Thats why I'm worried about this one.( My focus has 94000 on the clock )

zev

It has 94k and has only just had the belt changed now!?

That says a lot about the previous owners vigilance on maintenance!

It has 94k and has only just had the belt changed now!?

That says a lot about the previous owners vigilance on maintenance!

Well it is a lovely car .

zev

Well it is a lovely car .

zev

i love these posts you dont need to get the tensioners and pulleys done yes you do the tensioner is what in 98 percent of cases fails even the experts will advise 60k for the tensioner you put just a belt and the tensioner goes it takes out the belt and the engine a tensioner on the ford is a must as its a preloaded one it doesnt last forever and to be honest just a belt may or may not last if it doesnt you know why

i love these posts you dont need to get the tensioners and pulleys done yes you do the tensioner is what in 98 percent of cases fails even the experts will advise 60k for the tensioner you put just a belt and the tensioner goes it takes out the belt and the engine a tensioner on the ford is a must as its a preloaded one it doesnt last forever and to be honest just a belt may or may not last if it doesnt you know why

Yes I'm definetley gonna take your advice ariscot I am going to have the full kit fitted but it will have to wait while I get back from my hoilday in Wales, bit short of cash for a couple of weeks but as you say it's not worth taking the risk. Just wish I knew sooner would of got the dealer to do it properly. Nevermind I know better now.Thanks for all your advice guys

zev

Yes I'm definetley gonna take your advice ariscot I am going to have the full kit fitted but it will have to wait while I get back from my hoilday in Wales, bit short of cash for a couple of weeks but as you say it's not worth taking the risk. Just wish I knew sooner would of got the dealer to do it properly. Nevermind I know better now.Thanks for all your advice guys

zev

like i said sometimes when the cars idling youll hear a tick from the cambelt cover or sometimes a grinding noise but faint thats usually a sign its need ing done but lkike everything there can be no sign given the mileage like you say its not worth the risk mate its inconvenient and a pain i know

• 4 weeks later...

like i said sometimes when the cars idling youll hear a tick from the cambelt cover or sometimes a grinding noise but faint thats usually a sign its need ing done but lkike everything there can be no sign given the mileage like you say its not worth the risk mate its inconvenient and a pain i know

Hi all, My friend is going to fit me new tentioners and pulleys and maybe change anything eles that needs it. He's had focus's in the past so he has always done his own repairs. Dose anyone know where I can get tentioners and pulleys from the car dealer fitted a new belt when I bought the car in June. Or do you reckon it's best to fit the full kit.

zev

Hi, I have the same year and model, mine has done 70,000 on the original belt so I guess it's time to change it, I'm fairly experianced at home mechanics

so can anyone tell me if Im likely to find any problems if I do it myself please ???

Maybe the valves should be re-seated and a pair of new camshafts fitted....best change the cylinder head too. Oh and definately fit a new crankshaft...... :lol: If it isn't broken, don't fix it...however, for peace of mind change it again anyway ;) If the water pump is leaking or has started squeaking (even an intermittent squeak) for what they cost it's worth changing at the same time otherwise leave it alone. Car is what, 8-9 years old? It's going to have aches and pains. The best we can hope for in the second hand car market is that the car passes it's next MOT without needing massively expensive repairs.

Regards

Kes

Maybe the valves should be re-seated and a pair of new camshafts fitted....best change the cylinder head too. Oh and definately fit a new crankshaft...... :lol: If it isn't broken, don't fix it...however, for peace of mind change it again anyway ;) If the water pump is leaking or has started squeaking (even an intermittent squeak) for what they cost it's worth changing at the same time otherwise leave it alone. Car is what, 8-9 years old? It's going to have aches and pains. The best we can hope for in the second hand car market is that the car passes it's next MOT without needing massively expensive repairs.

Regards

Kes

if it aint broken dont fix it lol. My friend will check everything and will change it if he thinks its needed, he is a good diy mechanic we always say he lost his way.

zev