Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tpms Error After Changing Wheels

oldman

I bought a new Fiesta this year. Due to the potholes in my area I wanted 15" wheels with higher profile tyres but these were unavailable for the trim level I had chosen. So my car has 195/50 R16 as standard. I recently decided to get winter tyres and got them on new wheels so I could easily swap them myself depending on the weather. I got these as 195/55 R15. The difference in diameter and circumference between original fitment and the replacements being less than 0.1%. These are also standard fitment on other trim levels of the Fiesta.

Sadly I overlooked the very clever Tyre Pressure Monitoring System. It is baffled by the circumference change in all 4 wheels and resetting it doesn't help. It says it needs a service.

1. I haven't been to the dealer to see what can be done as I am worried they will say the Warranty is now invalid due to me changing the wheels. Does anyone know where I stand on this?
  2. I assume the TPMS can be told that the car now has 15" wheels rather than 16" wheels and this will resolve the errors, does any engineer know if this is a setting which can be changed on the TPMS system?

I know most people will think I am mad going for higher profile tyres but I have had to replace 3 alloys in the past 2 years due to potholes and I can no longer afford to keep doing this, I assume higher profile tyres offer more protection to the wheels. I regret the change now but it is too late, I have done the deed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Which system do you have? DDS worked via the ABS sensors and can be reset in the menu, If you have TPMS then this uses sensors in each wheel which your 15"s may not have. Did your old wheels have metal tyre valves?

Thanks MarkST. The original wheels have rubber valves. The Tyre Pressure monitoring works via the ABS on my car. I think Ford use the individual sensors in the US but the ABS system in the UK. Out of interest it didn't complain for the first few days around town roads with lots of start stop and corners, it decided it was baffled on a motorway and hasn't been happy since.

DDS was deleted late 2013/early 2014, TPMS was introduced early/mid 2014 ( think it's an EU rule now).

If it is DDS it shouldn't matter what wheels are fitted as it can be reset, did the dealer even offer to look at the issue as it could have been a fault. Fitting winter wheels is getting more common now so it shouldn't be an issue or a warranty voiding problem

And also, if the potholes are that bad where you are start taking photos of them and claim damage costs back from the local council.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Is the TPMS system standard on the Fiesta or is it an option and, if so, which cars can have it?

I've not seen the TPMS when looking through the available options.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It's now standard on the whole range as per new EU rules. Not sure from when but there's talk that cars with metal dust caps have it.

Hi Willy

That's great news but is there any way that we could find out when it becomes standard?

I'm asking because I added the DDS

System to my late 2013 Fiesta and I'm thinking of buying Titanium X and I would like one of the systems as standard - preferably the TPMS which is the latest system.

Looks like it became standard from June'ish this year. I too have ordered a new Titanium X so will be interested to see how it works.

I apologise for the title of my initial post as it should say "ITPMS (DDS) error after changing wheels"

My car is a Titanium-X which was built in September. It has the Indirect TPMS (DDS) which uses the ABS monitors. I didn't notice it on any spec sheets when I was ordering so wasn't expecting to get it. From my brief research the EU regulations allow both DDS and TPMS. TPMS shows the pressure on each wheel on it's display while DDS has no idea about tyre pressures, only relative circumferences compared to when it was last reset. I am certain that Ford will continue to use DDS rather than TPMS for as long as it meets the regulations as it is effectively free, while there is a considerable cost associated with TPMS.

I still haven't resolved my issue.

According to the owners manual, cars built after 6/4/2014 use TPMS sensors in each wheel which monitor the pressure.

Cars built before then used DDS which uses the ABS sensors to monitor the circumference of the wheel.

See page 185 of the manual which can be found here

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual?selectedYear=2014&selectedModel=Fiesta+%282012%29

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/vdirsnet/ownerguide_eu/default.aspx?bookcode=O26543&market=GB&language=EN&title=Fiesta%20(2012)~5426?VIN=WF0DXXGAKDCS46989

Owner's Manual PDF 21/03/2014 - 11/01/2015

So as per the original post the system relies on the sensor being present inside the wheel to work which the spare doesn't have. I also guess this will be a problem if the wheels are changed for aftermarket ones. I have steal wheels for the winter so will cause an error message when I put them on.

Hi Willy

Did you add any options to the new Titanium X you ordered and, if so, which ones.

I'm thinking of adding the front parking sensors, spare wheel, centre head rest and adjustable boot floor.

The car already has rear sensors and I'd like to know if you include the front sensors, do you get the 'park pilot' software and the 'on/off' buttons on the panel in front of the gear stick?

No front parking sensors for me I'm afraid. I'm only changing my Titanium to a Titanium X for the Seats / Keyless / Rear electric windows and have added the Dress up kit / Metallic paint / Spare wheel / 17" alloys .

The center head rest is standard on the X I understand.

I don't intend to get the Mountune upgrade this time but will be transferring the Mountune induction kit / Front grills / fan washer jets / Hids / Sports pedals / Rear ST spoiler etc ;)

Hi Willy

Thanks for your reply.

I'm also changing up from the Titanium to the TX because I like the extra toys. The rear sensors are standard and I've added the front so that I get the 'park pilot' software and the 'pretty coloured display' :P It's not that I need the sensors - I'm an HGV driver and have been driving for 39 years but, even so, no one is infallible and, it's reassuring to have a 'second pair of eyes' as a 'back-up', just in case.

No 'dress up kit' for me though; although it looks great on the Fiesta, I'm really too old to have that fitted to my car and, more importantly, my 'boy racer' days are over (if I ever was one, "back in the day"). :)

Another advantage of getting a new Fiesta is that, like hundreds of owners, I was looking forward to using SYNC to the full on my 2013 Fiesta but now find that we have SYNC 1.0 which does not support 'AppLink'' and cannot be upgraded.

I believe the newer Fiesta's should have SYNC 1.1 with AppLink but, I will confirm that before placing the order?

I forgot that the centre headrest is standard; I'll have to remove that from my options.

BTW, I hope you don't mind me asking but, are you 'part exing' your present car? I was hoping to but, with 450 miles on the clock since new, and at least 6 options including active city stop, 5 years warranty, all I've been offered is £8,500 so, I can't let my car go for that much so I think I'll try and sell it privately.

I'm 40 and have only been driving 9 years so the novelty hasn't warn off yet. I've never used parking sensors and never really had any reason to get them so will be keen to know how to turn them off ;)

I'd have to agree with you about sync. The first version was a huge disappointment in my eyes so hope the newer version is better when it comes to numerical track order from usb and track info display from bluetooth source.

I'm trading in my Titanium and am buying through carwow for the first time. I used to use a dealer close to me but this time round they couldn't give me a decent price. My fiesta will have covered 25000 and they offered a similar price. I would have tried selling privately but only have 1 car and can't be bothered with the hassle.

That's exactly the same for me; my local dealer could not (or would not) give me a decent deal so I searched around drivethedeal, orangewheels and I've ended up with CarWow.

I've had around 8 offers for the Titanium X and the best prices are mostly within 40 miles from me b, another dealer was 152 miles away and they had the best prices so I asked one or two of the nearest CarWow dealers to match the lower price and they agreed.

I've chosen one and messaged them to say I was quite happy with the price and asked for further information about the options for purchase and part ex so, I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

If you fancy exchanging info about the deal and part ex prices you got, I'd like to compare so, if your up for it it, you can PM me and I'll reply back.

To be honest, I was, and still am, a little unsure of buying in this way but, when I thought about it, all CarWow do is get decent discounts from their Ford Dealers, we then access them and if happy, contact and dealer of our choice direct, just as we would do with our local dealers so, I don't think there is much to worry about.

• 1 month later...

DDS was deleted late 2013/early 2014, TPMS was introduced early/mid 2014 ( think it's an EU rule now).

If it is DDS it shouldn't matter what wheels are fitted as it can be reset, did the dealer even offer to look at the issue as it could have been a fault. Fitting winter wheels is getting more common now so it shouldn't be an issue or a warranty voiding problem

To follow up from this;

I have just fitted some aftermarket alloys to my fiesta titanium which was built end of November 2014 so I am assuming that I have the TPMS which is the sensor in the original alloy valves right?

I get an error usually after 15-20 minutes of driving, but obviously that must be to the sensors not being there due to the aftermarket alloys and the sensors being about 20 miles away!

Would there be a way of me doing this without having to apply the original valves? Or if not does anyone know how to permanently turn them off (ie remove fuse or something)?