Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P2008 Fix Worked!

leesheffield

Hi all. So recently I have posted a few times about an intermittent fault I have been having where my car was losing power low down the revs and the eml kept coming on. It would slow the car down and I would have very little power in low rev range until about 3000 revs then it would suddenly pock up power.

I used a code reader and it showed up as P2008 intake manifold runner control circuit open. So basically the inlet manifold runner control is a vacuum operated system that closes flaps inside the air intake to help with air flow at low revs and apparently increase mpg. So on my car mk2.5 1.8 duratec the placement of parts is as follows.

Inlet manifold is at front of engine behind fan for radiator. If you remove the engine cover you can see, towards the rear right hand side of the back of the engine, is a device called the air shut off assy. This is on a metal plate with 4 vacuum hoses connecting to it. This shuts off the vacuum and resets the flaps

I started trying to sort the problem with a good clean of the whole inlet manifold. I used carb cleaner to clean the throttle body and sprayed into the inlet too while keeping revs up to clean further into the inlet. One thing that could cause the problem is a split vacuum hose. I sprayed the vacuum pipes from the air shut off and along them to check for air leaks. I sprayed along them with carb cleaner to see if any was taken into the system and this would cause the car to stal.

So none of this worked and the pipes were intact so the next thing I Have done is to visually check all wires connections and the air shut off assy itself to see if I could see any problems. Nothing obvious so I then resorted to buying a new air shut off assy and fitted it.

I bought from eBay and will post link when I can get on a computer. On phone at minute so can't upload yet. Also will add all pics I have to help locate etc.

To fit is a really easy process but fiddly to get to the hex screws due to wires. So here is how.

1.Locate the air assy and unclip the connections on top.

2.Pull off the vacuum pipes from the 2 devices and make sure you remember which goes to which part of the assy. (Top tip mark on with a marker 1,2,3,4 and then also on the old air assy where they correspond when you get it off)

3. On each corner of the plate holding the assy is a hex screw (sorry not sure of size) they are quite fiddly to get to under wires etc but not too bad. undo all these and then carefully remove it.

4. Fitting is just simply reverse the steps above.

This should hopefully then fix the issue. It has with mine as i could feel an instant difference. Before I fitted new part I took car out to make it lose power. Not long just needed to stop and start a few times in traffic with engine warm and it soon happened. After fitting I went on a drive and the power was back as normal so hoping it has fixed completely. Will keep updating if any problems later on. Sorry for lengthy post and will post pics asap

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club