Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Fusion - Which Is Most Reliable Automatic?

Jaynemc

Hi,

I'm new to your excellent Forum but not new to the Ford Fusion. We used to own a 57 reg 1.6 manual - a great little car but my other half developed problems with his left knee so we had to sell it and are now looking for a Fusion automatic.

I've been looking around the Internet reading about the car in automatic guise but I'm not clear about the different possibilities and have read some scare stories about Fusion automatics! For starters I notice looking through all the different models on Parkers Facts + Figures that the 1.4 autos are always 5 gears whilst the 1.6 autos are always 4 gears.

Essentially we would always go for the most reliable and avoid those that are known to have issues so would you be kind enough to shed some light on this for me and give me some tips on which automatic to go for.

The budget's not huge as it won't be our main car but essentially a car for transporting our elderly dog to his local walks. Budget probably around £3k. Performance, 0-60 and mpg don't really factor - whatever is solid and reliable will do.

Many thanks in advance,

Jayne :driving:

Hi, I brought a 2004 Fusion with a 1.6 petrol engine and automatic box back in August 2013. Its my first automatic and its great. It has four gears and I enjoy driving it. It had not done a huge mileage at 54,000 and I have only added another 8000. But the auto box has never given me cause for concern. The auto box's oil still looks new. If it hadn't I would have done an oil change. Eighteen months ago it cost me £3000. Your probobly aware of a 1.6 engines only drawback, its crummy mpg.

Best wishes, Ray

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for the reply. It sounds like you are enjoying your 1.4 auto and its proving reliable. You got it for a good price. Its always difficult making the step to automatic - I've always driven manuals and never thought twice about the reliability or otherwise of a manual box and have never had one go wrong on me. However now it comes to having to buy an automatic (due to my other half having problems with his left knee) I'm worried about how reliable the auto box is and whether some auto boxes are better than others.

Thanks again + happy motoring .... Jayne

Hello Jayne. This is my first automatic, it made life interesting taking it for a test drive. I had to pull out of the showroom into a busy high street against the traffic so I was a bit apprehensive. It was no problem. In fact my partner, who is a well known wimp when it comes to driving anything other than a Ford Fiesta, says she enjoys driving it.

I have found it hard to find specific information about the auto boxes but I did read a few years ago that modern auto boxes are no more unreliable than manual boxes. Hope that helps.

Ray

Thanks again Ray. Yes I have found it difficult finding specific information about the different auto boxes. The only auto I have had was a SAAB 99 - had it a long time ago it was a 1977 and it had 3 gears in the auto box which was pretty awful - you had to wait a long time before it would select the next gear! Ever since then I've been manual but technology has come on a long way and I'm prepared to do the auto thing again. At least there are a lot of Fusion autos around - some of these car makers seem to have only made a few autos as a token gesture.

• 3 months later...

You might be wise to look further (I have an '03 Fusion semi-auto that has just gone wrong.) as all these newer ones; auto / semi-auto, appear to be fly by wire operated, expensive problems can crop up!

I'm being quoted £1793 (vat inc?? I passed out before he finished!) to replace and recode the clutch position sensor assembly.

Looks like the first few years with this type of gearbox arrangement, will be trouble free.....then......?? £££££

I may have found a reputable company that can refurbish the same unit which can be refitted without the need of main dealer fitting and recoding via diagnostic computer.

If this pans out I shall be eternally grateful to them and will post details here.

Otherwise I was looking to go "mechanical link" none of this fly by wire stuff, to dear to rectify.

It's shaken my confidence in an otherwise excellant condition vehicle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club