Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent, Violent 'torque Steer'(?) When Accelerating Or Lifting Off

TheOldMan

My daughters boyfriend and I brought the 2003 1300 KA a couple weeks ago as a present for my grandaughters 17th birthday (16th Dec). It passed the MOT yesterday (9 Dec 2014).

This is an intermittent fault. Sometimes, either when accelerating or lifting off, the car will veer to the left quite violently. Other times it drives quite normally. Sometimes, immediately after the violent 'torque steer' (?) it will become impossible to select any gears - as if the clutch had suddenly stopped working. This is corrected by stopping the car, turning off the engine and engaging a gear (3rd) then while holding the clutch pedal down, starting the engine. It will jump about a little (as expected!) and free itself and thereafter drives perfectly normally until it happens again.
I am undecided if the two faults are connected somehow, or if it is two different faults that happen at same time by sheer coincidence!
Any help here would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance,
Glenn

My wife had a 1.6 StreetKA, One day taking it for petrol I planted my foot down and exactly what you described as veering off to the left happened. I was amazed she hadn't said anything to me about it - got the tracking done and it was mentally out. Also changed front two tyres as they were close to limit. Problem solved on the steering front, but sorry I have nothing to comment about the gear troubles.

David.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

My first thought was front suspension wishbone bushes, or the equivalent parts on the Ka's suspension. Quick googling seems to say similar in regards to torque steer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club