Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Help

ben goddard

I have a 09 focus econetic 1.6. i have a problematic DPF.

i haven't had the car from new, it has 88K on the clock, so the DPF is passed its lifespan.

i am unsure whether to get it repaired though as I've been told its £1,000 +.

i knew nothing of DPF's before i bought it, i just wanted a car that ran cheaply. and I'm now aware that these cars with DPF's aren't any god for town driving, i usually only drive roughly 4 miles a time, day to day. so i can understand then why it wouldn't be regenerating.

but what I'm confused about, is i previously had a 2010 fiesta diesel and that also had a DPF as they have been required since i believe 2008/9. I've just taken the car on a 40 miles stint on the motorway, but the engine malfunction light is still on, and i still hear it as i turn the engine off.

my concern is, i don't mind paying for it to be repaired/replaced, as long as it runs ok in the future, I'm so confused, cos i had the fiesta for 3 years, and never had a problem, but it had only done 55K, and not one single dpf problem, even though my driving is exactly the same.

I've paid a mechanic to clean the dpf when yellow warning light came on.
tried adding additive to fuel to help clear the dpf.
yellow warning light is not currently on, i just have a engine malfunction sign displayed only when i turn the engine ON, not when the ignition is on. (I'm assuming its the DPF) no other noticeable problems. and i can't really afford to keep taking it to be diagnosed. £25 a time
i also have a maxiscan ms309 code reader, but its not picking up the engine malfunction display, will they only pick a code up if a yellow warning light comes on? I'm not sure if its working properly though, as i unplugged it with the ignition on, and its a little slow turning on.

Don't unplug a scan tool with the ignition on, you can cause faults like this. I caused a D900 and 'engine fault' by unplugging early in the Focus.

You really need to have the codes read with a specific tool, a modded ELM327 with FORScan is ideal and cheap.

Which engine was in your Fiesta? If it had a DPF I'm surprised 4 mile drives were ok for it tbh.

DPFs don't have to cost 4 figures, I paid £200 for mine and fitted it myself, probably an hour or 2 labour at a garage if you can't. Also hope to get around £100 back from scrapping the old one. Obviously the quality isn't quite as good as the OEM 75% more expensive one, but its not 75% worse lol.

Don't unplug a scan tool with the ignition on, you can cause faults like this. I caused a D900 and 'engine fault' by unplugging early in the Focus.

You really need to have the codes read with a specific tool, a modded ELM327 with FORScan is ideal and cheap.

Which engine was in your Fiesta? If it had a DPF I'm surprised 4 mile drives were ok for it tbh.

DPFs don't have to cost 4 figures, I paid £200 for mine and fitted it myself, probably an hour or 2 labour at a garage if you can't. Also hope to get around £100 back from scrapping the old one. Obviously the quality isn't quite as good as the OEM 75% more expensive one, but its not 75% worse lol.

Thanks for that mate. just had a look at that ELM327. nice price on it, but i don't have a windows laptop.

So if i bought a cheap windows laptop, what operating systems are compatible? also, if you've used it, is the software easy to use, as I'm not really computer orientated other than basic usage, but can follow instructions pretty well.

any info you have is much appreciated.

Ah, I didn't know it was only windows compatible. You can also get the equivalent bluetooth ELM327 to work with a smart phone if that's more your kind of thing.

I use it on windows 8.1 without issue. I think it'll work all the way back to XP though. Very easy to use, I'm terrible with computers past eBay, forums and the odd spreadsheet and I manage with it fine, very intuitive. I think there is even a guide on here how to use FORScan with an ELM cable.

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks i have the same problem with my focus on a 58 plate 1.6 the dpf needs cleaning out ive done it once ive just gone up the motorway at 3.5 rpm in 3rd gear for 30 miles but still have warning light on and yellow engine man light i just could not get it to go into the regeneration mode can anyone help with this i also put a dpf cleaner in thanks barry

If the light is on the DPF is probably past saving and either clogged with ash, or just overfilled with soot. Either way you won't clear it on the car now. How many miles has it done?

You can try to force a static regeneration using the ELM cable with Forscan, but it really sounds like its past saving.

Hi Tom

Im starting to think that it's past it too.

i've got an ELM cable and tried the DPF regen in Forscan, but it doesn't look it it does anything....engine just stays at idle. I've emailed the logs to Forscan to see if they can help.

I'm tempted to get the DPF removed and get it remapped. At least we won't have any PDF problems anymore. It has done 49k and we live in the Isle of Man, so plenty of slow urban driving :-(

hi thanks all i`ll have to get a new one as it has done over 111,000 miles so i`ve had a good ruin for my money thanks all

Hi Tom

Im starting to think that it's past it too.

i've got an ELM cable and tried the DPF regen in Forscan, but it doesn't look it it does anything....engine just stays at idle. I've emailed the logs to Forscan to see if they can help.

I'm tempted to get the DPF removed and get it remapped. At least we won't have any PDF problems anymore. It has done 49k and we live in the Isle of Man, so plenty of slow urban driving :-(

Hi Robin, I meant Barry's was past it really. But it sounds as though yours maybe as well!

When you tried the regen, was the engine up to temp, and at least quarter of a tank of fuel? If not, it won't start. If yes to both, that's not right at all, the engine should rev up to about 4000rpm after a few seconds. I have made a youtube video on it that should be easy to find.

I'm amazed they sell diesels with DPFs on the Isle of Man tbh! Mine had also done 49k when I replaced it, and had had a previous elderly owner just doing 3k a year!

hi thanks all i`ll have to get a new one as it has done over 111,000 miles so i`ve had a good ruin for my money thanks all

If that's original its done very well! Not surprised you need another at that mileage.

Tom has it spot on with the regen info, in regards to the eml it will be on if you do not complete the diagnostic cycle, this is most common on the focus, even the older ones, always wait for the computer or phone to complete its tasks and finish communicating, otherwise you can cause all sorts of problems, this is one possibility for it being on

Luckily we don't have MOTs in the Isle of Man :-)

Come across another problem now. Got another EML, this time for high oil level, which I'm lead to believe is due to unburnt diesel finding it's way back into the oil! Dipped it, and yes too much. I've dropped some out of the sump (looks very runny).

My question basically is, which is the best oil and because it has been contaminated, shall I use engine flush too?

Thanks

I wouldn't use an engine flush, they can cause more harm than good on a modern engine.

Anyhow the added diesel sorta works as a cleaner, or so I'm led to believe?

Trac

Oh dear! The constant extra diesel from post injections when trying to regen will fill up the oil. Very bad for the engine as obviously oil should be thick enough to coat the moving parts adequately.

Engine flush isn't necessary, there's a possibility of dislodging some carbon that then blocks the oil pipe and then turbo blows...obviously that wont happen every time but t a risk I don't want to take lol.

Interesting about not having MOT on the Island, in that case you might as well get rid of the DPF then. :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks i`ve now done what you have all said and had the dpf removed and remaped but now when i but my foot down it cuts of the electric`s to the engine and i have to turn off and restart engine is this somthing to do with the remap or could it be the cam position senser ? thanks

It could be the remap, but would need to read the fault codes read really.

hi i have a vgate scanner/reader this shows no codes i`ve just asked my boss he is going to put it on his snap on one on monday for me just to see if mine is not reading properly i`ll post results thanks

hi all i`ve just got back from work where my boss put the car on has snap on reader and it`s come up with fuel rail presure fault and he also say`s it down to the remap now i`ve just got to get the guy to remap it again this is going to fun

hi all just seen the fitter who done the job asked to come back this afternoon he will down load a new standard code from somone in bradford

Hi ben. wouldn't worry too much about dash warnings they come for no reason most times....i also had a 1.6tdci with dpf and a friend suggested i remove it . because they clog up in time and are expensive. don't know if your aware but under the car near the back centre of the fuel tank is a small black plastic tank. this is for a special dpf additive solution which helps burn crap out of the dpf filter you may notice some smoke once or twice a week for a few mile. every time you open the fuel flap and add fuel it releases a measured amount of the additive.into the fuel intake. the additive will last about 3 years on average miles. if you let it run dry it's about £180.00 at fords to refill and reset ecu. i had mine removed and ecu remapped for £250.00 . the car was more responsive smoother and no smoke from exhaust....had a worry free 3 years driving before i traded it in. my advice is to ask local independant garages about removing dpf and remapping ecu . the choice is yours fords or freedom.

hi robin,

the oil is very runny if you use 5/30 synthetic. i have always used Castrol magnatec 5/30 since it first launched. used on any diesel or petrol iv'e had . never had engine probs....warning lights are there to scare you into finding a garage a.s.a.p. most of the time they come on with no major issues.........but if diesel is leaking just use cheapest synthetic and change more often don't bother with engine flush waste of time and money..... you might want consider getting rid or it may get worse.

Cheers forddave

I occasionally get a EML and have to do a press brake and accelerator down at same time job to do an oil service reset.

Any ideas why it keeps coming back?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club