Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premium Unleaded - Yes Or No?

smokieno1

I have a 1.0 Ecoboost Powershift Fiesta Titanium. Done 3500 miles from new in two months. MPG IS AROUND 42 for mixed driving. Question is would the MPG improve if I use BP Ultimate Unleaded or would I just be wasting my money??

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It's claimed that super-unleaded gives better mpg - there's video somewhere on the web with Ford WRC drivers doing back to back tests lapping Anglesey circuit using std BP fuel and BT ultimate.

To compare with your current mpg figures you'll ideally need to run a couple of tanks through your car to give the ECM time to adapt to the higher octane.

Ford also quoted 5% power increase for Focus ST225 with the higher octane unleaded in some of their technical bumf.

I've used BP ultimate for a while until my car was running solely on it and my car complained about it. Since been using Shell v power and not a complaint yet

I guess you'll have to work out the difference in mpg and what it costs extra for the standard fuel and the higher octane stuff

LAUMK7

What do you mean. What happened to your car using BP Ultimate?

Do you have a 1.0 Ecoboost too??

LAUMK7

What do you mean. What happened to your car using BP Ultimate?

Do you have a 1.0 Ecoboost too??

My car just seemed to run jerky; power rush, loss of power iykwim the car definitely didn't like it. It never ran like this before or after using BPU

The car has only done 8700 miles and is last years model

This is of course just my opinion :)

I've used BP ultimate for a while until my car was running solely on it and my car complained about it. Since been using shell v power and not a complaint yet

That's strange considering Ford recommend BP, although that's probably nothing more than a partnership with the company. I use V-Power too and no problems at all.

I found it strange too, though I think ford recommend std BP don't they? not ultimate? I'll have to check though to be 100% on that though, I'm only 50/50 at the moment

Either way, it was their recommendation of BP which is why I started using it in the first place tbh

Although as my husband says, my cars probably a snob, and will complain about the slightest thing lol :d

Christ! I need sleep! I'm wittering on now....

Sainsburys bog standard for me ;)

Doesn't the loo paper clog your cars fuel pump??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tried all the premium fuels in mine and amazingly I think tesco's momentum is the best

For me its Shell only all the way.where ever i am. I fill optimax on longer journeys or when filling to full tank.it does make a difference.

Yunii

Tried all the premium fuels in mine and amazingly I think tesco's momentum is the best

I've heard good things about that too, especially back when it was called Tesco 99.

Only downside to Momentum is it makes your exhaust tips go black

See I don't think Tesco 99 is as good as Sainsburys super. I think I get much better mpg and power from that.

Only downside to Momentum is it makes your exhaust tips go black

That's happening to my exhaust, don't know if it's the fuel though. It just needs a good clean I think.

Just bought my new Fiesta Zetec S Ecoboost 1.0 3,000 miles, been reading this and still dont know which fuel to go for >.< Always gone with tesco fuel and was gonna try the momentum fuel next fill up but now dunno between sainsburys or tesco >.<

I fill up at whichever station is closest at the time and never had any problems with any of my cars.

Isn't this a bit like comparing different brands of bottled water or is there really a difference?

I've just stuck a tenner in the tank at Morrisons in Scunthorpe today. Mixed about 50/50 with Shell FuelSave regular unleaded.

Not noticed the problems I used to get running on Morrisons fuel. But, I will brim the tank over the weekend (under 1/4 tank). Tempted to go for a tank of V-Power seeing as it's roughly the same price as what I'm used to paying. That and I'm headed to Southampton for a week on Sunday. Good run will help too.

Doesn't the loo paper clog your cars fuel pump??

If it's got to that point, I'd be more concerned about what you're putting in the tank before that...

I've always been sceptical about the benefits of premium fuels, however after a couple of tank refills of Tesco Momentum 99 I swear that the little 1.0 Ecoboost motor runs better and pulls more cleanly from low revs than on the regular supermarket juice. Not noticed much difference in economy though, not that I monitor it too carefully anyway. Always seem around mid 40s mpg.

Always use normal BP stuff,never had a problem in any car i have had.

The problem is every time you drive there are too many variables, so it's hard to tell the difference if you change fuel. What we need are some industry standard tests where they take the engines from lots of different cars and run them on different fuels, and get some real numbers that we can compare.

• Like 1

Have a look at this skip the first 27 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaBngvsPrc

Interesting watching which rates v-power as the most powerful but can you tell the difference day to day? I have stopped using v-power for every top up partly due to cost and high miles, don't use it for my daily commute or long motorway trips but if I am going for a spirited drive I do.

Not sure if this video has made me change my mind or not.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club