Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Focus Mk3 Champions Edition

JW1982

Last week I noticed a loud bang from the front wheel area during heavy breaking. After I jacked the car from the ground for further inspection the front spring at the left side of the car turned out to be broken. A piece from the bottom winding of the spring which was aproximately 7 cm long fell on the ground during inspection of the spring.

Definetely something that should not happen to a barely 3 year old car which has only done 23.000 KM. Instead of replacing both front springs I decided to lower the car. I really missed the Eibach Pro-Kit springs that I had on my previous Focus MK2. After a quick search I found a German seller on eBay that offered the Focus MK3 Eibach Pro-Kit springs for a very good price.

This weekend I installed the Eibach springs. Installing all 4 springs took me less than 3 Hours including cleaning of all parts. I also disassembled the upper strut bearing housings to clean them thoroughly and refill them with a decent amount of high quality SKF bearing grease. After I cleaned all parts of the upper strut bearings I discovered that each of the original Ford (SKF) upper strut bearings have 36 pieces of 4.8 mm (3/16 Inch) sized loose bearing balls. coincedentally I have loads of different loose bearing balls that I use for Bike maintenance so I decided to replace all loose bearing balls for new SKF ones.

LrhYAhQ.jpg

WvIfyRE.jpg

Eibach specifies a reduce of body height of 25 mm front and back for the Focus MK3 Pro-Kit springs. My car originally had the standard suspension. I measured the body height before and after I installed the Eibach springs and measured a reduce of body height of 34 mm. at the front and 33 mm at the back of the car. This means that the car is even lower than I expected (which in my opinion is great).

After 23.000 KM my original floor mats were dirty so i decided to put them into the washing machine. I did this before with my Focus MK2 floor mats without any problems. Unfortunately doing this with my Focus MK3 floor mats was a very bad idea. After washing them the rubber non skidding backside of the floor mats is completely gone. The floor mats do not longer stay in place so I decided to order a brand new set of 4 original floor mats. I found a true bargain at a German Ford dealership that offered the floor mats for about half the original retail price.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, trying to get my key enabled using focccus software, I have changed the parameters to 02, but I get a dtc error code that I can't clear. I have no my key menu in settings but I do get my key mileage and info telling me I have 0 mykeys and 1 admin key. Any help would be appreciated 

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I decided to upgrade from the SYNC 1.0 system to the SYNC 1.1 system. My SYNC 1.0 module did have some occasional problems. Sometimes the module suddenly stopped playing from USB or lost the bluetooth connection with my phone. 

In my opinion the SYNC 1.0 system has become obsolete. This system is only installed by Ford for about 1 year. The support for this system is pretty bad. Ford promised to release regular updates for the system which allows the user to update the system from a USB drive. Unfortunately this never happened and the system can only be updated by a Ford dealer which is an expensive and time consuming process.

The SYNC 1.1 system basically has the same functionality as the SYNC 1.0 system. Next to this the SYNC 1.1 system does also have APPlink. Another major advantage is the possibility to update the system yourself. However not officially supported in Europe Ford releases regular updates for the system which allows the user to update the system from a USB drive. These updates can be downloaded from several international Ford websites (USA, India) and are also suitable for the European SYNC 1.1 modules.

Last week I bought a suitable SYNC 1.1 module from a UK scrapyard for less than €50,- including P&P to the Netherlands. The module arrived yesterday so I decided to install the module right away. The module was originally installed into a 2015 Fiesta MK7.5. Fiesta modules are configured different from Focus MK3 modules so I had to change the configuration of the module. After I reprogrammed the module it works without any problems. Finally I downloaded the latest update and installed in onto the system rom a USB drive.

The module I installed has part number D1BT-14D212-LA

The module did have software version E1BT-14D544-AK which is known as V5.8. After I updated the module it has software version E1BT-14D544-AL which is known as V5.9.

I used the following configuration parameters to reconfigure the module:

7D0-01-01    111F 88C0 0354
7D0-01-02    4000 001A
7D0-02-01    044E 4C00 0078
7D0-02-02    00DB
7D0-03-01    0000 0000 00DB

I compared the AS-BUILT data of several 2014 Focus MK3 versions with SYNC 1.1 and about 95% of these vehicles had this configuration.

• 1 month later...

I am currently working on a few more modifications but these updates are a bit more complicated and require a lot of research.

Last week I installed a set of ST pedal covers with stainless steel insert.

Wilco - I have a Focus ST3 (Dec 12) 2013 model and having followed the changes you have made to your focus I recently installed a sat nav FCDIM (Part number: BM5T-18B955-DC Strategy : C1BT-14D358-DE). I also replaced my Sync 1 module with a Sync1.1 module from a focus 1.0  (Part number: D1BT-14D212-EB Strategy : E1BT-14D205-AE) and amended the module using the configurations you listed in a post on 24th September. Although the sat nav etc all appear to work I have and error in the FCDIM module (U2100: Initial Configuration Not Complete) and I am unable to load any apps, such as spotify, into sync. In addition when I select sync it has an entry to 'request update'. I would welcome your advice on how I might 'fix' these problems. I have a VCM2 and access to IDS as well as Forscan and Focccus. Thanks.

Edited by gselgin
to add additional information

On 24/09/2016 at 7:05 PM, JW1982 said:

..............These updates can be downloaded from several international Ford websites (USA, India) and are also suitable for the European SYNC 1.1 modules................

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how you can download the Ford Sync updates from these sites (USA, India etc.).  Every time I try to register they will not accept my registration because my VIN shows me as being resident in the UK.  Sorry to be thick, but this is really frustrating me.

On ‎24‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 2:33 PM, gselgin said:

Wilco - I have a Focus ST3 (Dec 12) 2013 model and having followed the changes you have made to your focus I recently installed a sat nav FCDIM (Part number: BM5T-18B955-DC Strategy : C1BT-14D358-DE). I also replaced my Sync 1 module with a Sync1.1 module from a focus 1.0  (Part number: D1BT-14D212-EB Strategy : E1BT-14D205-AE) and amended the module using the configurations you listed in a post on 24th September. Although the sat nav etc all appear to work I have and error in the FCDIM module (U2100: Initial Configuration Not Complete) and I am unable to load any apps, such as spotify, into sync. In addition when I select sync it has an entry to 'request update'. I would welcome your advice on how I might 'fix' these problems. I have a VCM2 and access to IDS as well as Forscan and Focccus. Thanks.

DTC code U2100 is quite common. This DTC code is present in many FCDIM modules. Even on factory fitted FCDIM modules this DTC code is often present. This DTC code should not affect any functionality of the FCDIM module. Until now I have not found the cause of this DTC code or a possible solution. Personally I would just ignore this DTC code.

On a SYNC 1.1 (APIM) module the APPlink function should work. However not all mobile devices are fully supported. If not already done I would update the SYNC 1.1 module to the latest software version first. The latest software solves a lot of issues. For example on older software versions Apple products can only be connected to APPlink using USB while Android products can be connected by bluetooth. On the later software versions both Apple and Android can connect by bluetooth.

9 hours ago, Xsis2 said:

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms how you can download the Ford Sync updates from these sites (USA, India etc.).  Every time I try to register they will not accept my registration because my VIN shows me as being resident in the UK.  Sorry to be thick, but this is really frustrating me.

I registered on both the Ford India and Ford USA websites using my European VIN number without any problems. The latest USA SYNC 1.1 update is no longer suitable for European vehicles and the Ford India website is completely changed. The SYNC updates are no longer present on my user account.

Ford recently added SYNC support on the Ford Australia website. On this website it is still possible to make a user account and download the SYNC update files.

If needed I can also search for the update files on my computer and upload them .

• Like 1

Thanks for your response. You are right the FCDIM works without any problems so I will just ignore the error. I have an iPhone se and I hadn't thought about connecting it via the usb port however when I did sync immediately identified the apps on the phone. Consequently it may be a bluetooth issue with Sync 1.1 and Apple phones. I will therefore try and download an update. I have an account on the Ford India site but have been unable to download any update so far with the site insisting I have the latest version and the recent changes you mention seem to have blocked the possibility of any download. I will try the Australian site but would be gratefull if you were able to find an update on your system and upload this. 

A quick update - I registered on the Australian Ford site however like Ford India when I use my vin number the site insists that my sync is up-to-date and will not give me the option of a download! I would therefore be very grateful if you could upload a copy of the update. 

Be aware that updates are only available for the SYNC 1.1 system onwards. The older SYNC 1.0 system can not be updated by the user. Updates for the SYNC 1.0 system can only be performed by a Ford dealer. If your car originally had the SYNC 1.0 system the Ford India and Australia websites will identifiy the car as a SYNC 1.0 vehicle based on the VIN number. A simple workarround for this is to make another user account using a VIN number of a Focus MK3 that has the SYNC 1.1 system.

The latest availabel update for the SYNC 1.1 system is version v5.9 (file name 8L2T-14D546-AF) . This update can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71ntry1hxz2yeub/8L2T-14D546-AF.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

Thanks for download. As I read what you say I realise that it is obvious that the vin for my car will relect that it has sync 1 and the Ford Website will not therefore give me any update for sync 1.1. I will need to try and "borrow" a vin from a more up-to-date ST. In the meantime thank you for your advice. 

A suitable VIN number can easily be obtained from the Ford Etis website. You can enter the registration number of a Focus MK3 that has the SYNC 1.1 system on the Ford Etis website. The Etis website shows all specifications of that particular car including the VIN number. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2015 at 9:36 PM, JW1982 said:

After some time of research it was time for the next modification:

DSC04093_zpsxpyties0.jpg

I reprogrammed my original MK3 instrument cluster into a MK3 ST instrument cluster. The functions of the ST instrument cluster are also present in the instrument cluster of the "normal Focus MK3". These functions can be activated by changing the configuration of the instrument cluster.

By changing the configuration the Ford logo is replaced by an ST logoand the ST ESP menu is activated.

On a "normal" Focus MK3 the ESP system can not be turned fully off. You have the choice between "on" and "off" but even after "off" has been selected the system remains active. The system only intervenes a bit later and a bit less agressive.

On the Focus MK3 ST the ESP system has 3 different settings. These settings are "on", "sport" and "off". In sport mode the system intervenes a bit later and a bit less agressive. In "off" mode the system is completely turned off and other safety systems like Acitve City Stop for example are also turned off.

My istrument cluster now has the ST ESP menu:

DSC04095_zpsdt6jkvai.jpg

DSC04098_zpstxw8kujk.jpg

DSC04099_zpsusddisgm.jpg

DSC04101_zpscszgtyr8.jpg

Tonight I made the first test run and all functions seem to function correctly. There are no error messages shown on the instrument cluster display or DTC codes stored in the different modules.

OMG, how the heck did you change it? I had a look on the focccus software but i could't see any option for the ST instrument cluster

I suppose that you work as a mechanical somewhere because if you've done all of this by yourself you should have big balls man...

No, I am not a mechanic.

I work as a team leader at a repair facility for (big) electric machines (industrial electric motors, generators, converters, etc.). I am basically responible for a team of mechanics. Next to this I am also an ATEX (ATmosphères EXplosibles) responsible person. I am basically responsible for the integrity, documentation and certification of every explosion protected  machine that is repaired by our company/workshop. It is my job that a explosive protected machine still complies to the original certification or appropriate ATEX standard after repair or overhaul.

My car is basically just a hobby. Most of the modifications I performed on my Focus MK3 are relative small. I am currently working on some bigger, technically more difficult modifications but these require a lot more research and testing. Unfortunately my spare time is limited so these projects may take some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Never yhought about putting the Zetec/st spoiler? i think is a must in this car...

btw, how did you do the ST update in the cluster? with focccus? a little tuto?

• 1 month later...

I recently decided time has come for a change. I really like the 17 Inch 8-spoke Y-design wheels but after 6 years I wanted something completely different.

The last few weeks I searched for a nice set of wheels. My major requirements were that the wheels had to be brand new or in mint (like new) condition without any damage. Unfortunately I could not find any original Ford wheels that I liked. Eventually I decided to take a closer look at decent aftermarket wheels.

After a long search I found a set of aftermarket wheels that I really liked:

Eyscja3.jpg

These are Anzio Turn wheels. These are available in different sizes for several car brands/models. I finally decided to order these wheels in the following size:

Brand/model = Anzio Turn
Bolt Pattern = 5 x 108
Size = 8J x 18
Offset = 48 mm
Color = Polar Silver

The Anzio brand is part of the German UniWheels group. The UniWheels group consists of different wheel brands like ATS, ALUtec, RIAL and Anzio. Next to these aftermarket brands UniWheels also produces OEM wheels for many car manufacturers

These wheels have a UV resistant protective coating. Because of this the wheels should be very dureable. Anzio even has a 5 Year warranty on all fully painted wheels.

Today I received and unpacked the wheels:

72jERRz.jpg

lIZAZQP.jpg

G1LWnjA.jpg

NwFj2Zu.jpg

I am actually quite impressed by the quality of these wheels. They do even have less imperfections than the original Ford wheels I owned so far.The protective coating gives the wheels a nice high gloss finish.

Unfortunately the online shop I bought the wheels from sended them with a set of M14 x 1.5 wheel bolts. I ordered the wheels specifically for the Focus MK3 so they should have sent them with a set of M12 x 1.5 wheel nuts. Next to this 2 of the hub caps are missing. Each wheel came in a seperate box which has a cutout to expose the color of the wheel. I suspect that this cutout allowed the hubcaps to fall out during transport.

I have not decided yet which tyres I am going to use. Based on specifications, test results and reviews the Vredestein Ultrac Satin tyre drew my attention but the lack of a decent rim protector is a large disadvantage for me. Currently I am leaning towards the Continental SportContact 5 tyres.

Fortunately I still have a few Months to decide.

• Like 3

lovely rim colour is spot on nice and easy to:rockon: clean as well judging by the photo's

I do not really like the center caps that came with the Anzio wheels. I still have a few different sets of original Ford centercaps but unfortunately none of them fit. They all are too small for the center bore of the Anzio wheels. The Anzio wheels have a 63.5 mm center cap which is a bit of an unusual size.

At first I wanted to buy some 3D domed Ford center cap logo's but good quality ones are pretty expensive and the correct size is hard to find. Because of this I decided to search for a set of replacement centercaps with Ford logo.

After some research I found out that Ford used some wheels in the past that had a 63 mm center cap. The outside diameter of these centercaps should be a perfect fit to the Anzio wheels. However these centercaps are currently no longer available form Ford as a spare part. These center caps have part number 7M59-1A065-LA and Finis number 1491828 . After some online searching I found out that an Asian manufacturer still produces these center caps. They seem to be a direct copy of the original ones and even have the same part number casted at the back. Unfortunately these center caps are pretty hard to find and many setters do only sell them in larger batches. After some online searching I finally found a seller that can supply me with 4 centercaps for a fair price.

Tr8FBto.jpg

9PCFUdx.jpg

The outside diameter of these center caps should be perfect. However the diameter of the retaining tabs is quite different. The diameter of the retaining tabs at the Anzio center caps is 61 mm while the diameter at the retaining tabs of the Ford center caps is 55 mm. This basically means that the retaining tabs of the Ford center caps are too small to properly hold the center caps in the bore of the Anzio wheels. I am going to solve this by making some adapters. I already ordered some 63 mm plastic discs which are going to be the starting point of my adapters.

• 4 weeks later...

Based on customer reviews and tyre tests I decided to buy a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 tyres. These tyres end up pretty high in all tests that I found. .

NdVdLVV.jpg

I bought the tyres online from a French company which has warehouses across Europe. The price difference between online tyre suppliers and local tyre suppliers was quite large. I saved over €70,- by buying the tyres online. The tyres arrived within 2 days and and are produced only 5 weeks ago. Yesterday I had them mounted onto my new 18 Inch rims and balanced by my local tyre supplier who is a real specialist. I decided to let him place all tyre weights behind the spokes of the wheels. This was not easy because of the relative small spokes of the wheels. It took some extra time but he managed to place all tyre weights invisibly behind the spokes. Not cheap but in my opinion definetely worth the extra money.

pNHDnDf.jpg

Unfortunately the size of the center caps I ordered was not as described. The front diameter of the center caps did more or less match the description but the retaining tabs at the back of the center caps did have a completely different size as described. After I complained the seller offered me a 90% refund which I accepted. These center caps do look really nice so i decided to make them fit inside the wheels.

Jsby6Q3.jpg

D3cWRt6.jpg

f4oJQBI.jpg

Yk3inhZ.jpg

I used different sizes of O-rings to center the caps correctly in the center holes of the wheels. I glued 2 bolts to the back of each center cap using a high strength epoxy glue. The center caps are clamped inside the center holes of the wheels by plastic discs and locking nuts.

• Like 1

After a 3-day holiday at an amusement park I was on my way home and decided to take the family for a quick dinner at a McDonalds restaurant near the highway. When I returned to my car half an hour later my rear side window was smashed and all luggage turned out to be stolen. After I informed the local police (who literally did nothing) I decided to drive home because it was raining quite heavy. After I brought the family home I took the car to the the company I work for and drove it inside the warm and dry workshop.

Next it was time to clean the big mess and make a quick inventory of the damage to the car:

F8ce3pt.jpg

Tt0Sjkp.jpg

nSDvhR4.jpg

The car was covered with pieces of the rear side window (original privacy glass). Even the driver and passenger seat.

oEcPUWY.jpg

1ictwkN.jpg

The door panel is badly scratched and needs to be replaced or repaired by a specialist company.

X6Lo9j1.jpg

k25Q7sQ.jpg

8RhMaR3.jpg

The door and rear quarter panel are covered with small (and some larger, deeper) scratches and need to be repainted.

3O5p61D.jpg

The parcel shelf needs to be replaced because it is bend/cracked and the hinge clip is missing.

The car is currently at a local bodyshop for repair. I currently drive a BMW 114i M-Sport Edition as a courtesy car. The BMW drives nice but not nearly as responsive as the Focus MK3. Next to this the Focus MK3 has a lot more space than the BMW.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club