Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrade Fiesta Or Sell For Focus?

MRC89

3 members have voted

1. 1. Keep/Trade In

• 2012 Fiesta Metal
    • 2015 Focus ST3 Estate

Hi guys, it's been a while since my last visit.

I'll get straight to the point, I'm in a dilemma with what I want to do with a car over the next 5+ years, Last year I bought a Fiesta Metal in Midnight Sky (grey/blue) currently at 16k miles, I love it. The plan was when I was 25 and could afford the insurance I'd:

Mountune 155ps

-35/-50mm lowring springs/coilovers with spacers

LED DRLs in the fog lamps (note my avatar is edited, they're just regular halogen fogs atm)

Gloss the exterior plastics and a bit of chip/scratch repair (caused by cats and a white van)

and perhaps get round to the interior with rooflining, resprayed doorcards and pillars, and a black fabric dash. And OEM Ambient lighting with matching footwell/door bin lighting, front courtesy light with sunglasses holder, with the original courtesy light being moved to the back.

Fiesta ST front+rear brake conversion.

I'm budgeting myself to ~£5k max for all of this.

So far I've only made a few small mods:

Canbus ready side facing LED sidelights

Osram blue tint indicators

+30% blue tint halogen headlamps

+100% Phillips Main beams

Multi-directional LED number plate lights.

Team Heko Wind deflectors

However, I'm quite liking the look of the 2015 face lift Focus ST, and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for quick estates. Also, I plan to be moving to the other side of the country within the next 2 years to move out with the Mrs, we're looking to get 2 large-ish dogs too (vizsla & ridgeback) and who knows, kids down the line too. so A Focus ST Estate would be really useful for ferrying all that around, and a Fiesta would be hideously impracticable and would mean buying a 2nd cheap big car.

Plans for Focus ST3 Estate: 2nd hand, as many options as I can find.

Black or Grey (need to see grey in the flesh first)

if Grey - Black alloys, Black exhaust tip

if Black - Colour code exhaust tip to the colour of the "Style pack" alloys.

Mountune 275 or Remap and other light modifications if I went for the derv (90% sure I want the petrol though - I'll test drive them both)

Lowering springs, possibly adjustable height air suspension.

The Focus is a lot more practical, slightly faster, a lot more powerful, and imo has a much nicer cabin It's a lot more rare than the Fiesta, but probably more common than a Fiesta Metal.

The Fiesta will always be the more fun car to drive, not necessarily better, but I can't see an estate ever being able to match it's personality. Imo, it looks better too.

What would you do? Throw £5k at the Fiesta to make a really nice drivers/enthusiasts car, or save the money and PX it for the bigger, better Focus?

Please vote on the poll, and express your opinions in detail if you wish, I'm really 50/50 on this.

Here's a few simple pics as I've never shown her off to you guys.

RaXcxz.jpg
ypdeh9.jpg
5dkIUH.jpg
Mp2xSy.jpg
tNqWpw.jpg
OF0Xlt.jpgMDL7pS.jpg

Test drive a few of each, see what feels comfortable for you. Make sure you test the types (St?) and engine sizes you'll be going for

Personally I couldn't bear the focus over the fiesta - even though it's not much bigger it just felt huge for a small car. That's coming from someone who's owned two mondeos lol

I also didn't like the St, rare opinion but mine, hence why I went for the tx

Edit: I didn't read the op properly, if you want a focus and it sounds like you do - get one

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

People change, move on / grow up - the Fiesta is fine for a single guy but not so practical for a couple with dogs etc owning a powerful Focus ST estate will (perhaps more than) help compensate for this and is probably the best way to go for you now

I would imagine you would miss the Fiesta but the Focus ST estate can be a lot of fun as well.

• Like 1

I voted Focus ST because it sounds like you'll need a bigger car. I would have added another option though, if you're planning to get the Focus on a PCP or something like that, you could get a Fiesta ST as an interim and then trade up to a Focus ST when you need it.

The only problem there is you'll probably love the Fiesta ST too much to trade it in lol, although I'm sure it's the same with your Metal.

• Like 1

Personally I couldn't bear the focus over the fiesta - even though it's not much bigger it just felt huge for a small car. That's coming from someone who's owned two mondeos lol

I also didn't like the St, rare opinion but mine, hence why I went for the tx

How big is it going to feel in estate form then? lol. My dad has a hatchback Mk3 Focus, it does feel a lot bigger than the fiesta considering the physical size difference isn't all that much, And I'm no big fan of the current Focus ST, it's alright. The upcoming face lift seems to address many of the styling cues which ford received a backlash of criticism over, and I think it looks better now, still it'll never be as pretty as a nice fiesta imo.

People change, move on / grow up - the Fiesta is fine for a single guy but not so practical for a couple with dogs etc owning a powerful Focus ST estate will (perhaps more than) help compensate for this and is probably the best way to go for you now

I would imagine you would miss the Fiesta but the Focus ST estate can be a lot of fun as well.

This is exactly how I feel, it's the sensible thing to do, my head says one thing, my heart another. Cheers FOCA.

I voted Focus ST because it sounds like you'll need a bigger car. I would have added another option though, if you're planning to get the Focus on a PCP or something like that, you could get a Fiesta ST as an interim and then trade up to a Focus ST when you need it.

The only problem there is you'll probably love the Fiesta ST too much to trade it in lol, although I'm sure it's the same with your Metal.

Hi Phil, I do like the Fiesta ST, especially with a spec like yours, ST3, Spirit Blue, MP215, that's the combination dreams are made out of. However, this wouldn't really be a feasible option for me, they're just too expensive for not much gained, I realize a Focus ST is more, but depreciation hits the Focus a lot harder than the Fiesta in the 2nd hand market, thus you get a lot more everything for your money. For now, I'm happy with my Metal, the only way I'd trade it for a Fiesta ST was if it were a straight swap, I prefer the looks of the pre-facelift Mk7s, front grill, alloys, headlamps etc, and 134ps isn't too shabby in the real world. Letting go of the Metal is going to be hard, but I think it's going to come to that.