Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Leaking Oil

Dave_TDCI

Bit of an update.

Dropped my car into the garage today and left it with them to try sort out the oil leak.

Got a call this evening to say unfortunately they didn't located where the leak was actually coming from but it seems to be coming from around the turbo/ intercooler area. They said they would strip down the engine bay tomorrow to find out for sure.

Had be hoping to hear it was just a seal or o ring or something.

Looking now like this might work out to be an expensive one :(

Got a phonecall this evening car has finally been fixed,

Turns out it was the turbo oil feed pipe that was leaking. That needed to be replaced and the total cost has amounted to €230. Is that not very expensive considering I priced the pipe myself which was £53 plus whatever other seals may be needed and labour?...Wasn't expecting that bill at all after hearing it would just that pipe causing the oil leak.

Also I'm concerned could that have a knock on effect on the turbo? Most of the research I did on the 1.6 TDCI turbos going say that is usually starts with the oil feed pipe clogging or leaking :(

to get to the feed pipe the sump needs to be taken off which also means the DPF and the radiator fan, a royal pain in the !Removed!, I was quoted about that kinda price to have the sump, pickup and turbo feeder pipe replaced, they were also suggesting punching through the filter in the banjo bolt which is apparently the part that blocks, if they replaced that pipe and filter then id expect it to be good again. I decided against it purely down to cost and just hoped some TLC will keep it ticking.

just keep changing the oil nice an early, sort out the EGR and look in to the DPF, im going a step further and installing a custom made oil catch can to catch some of the oil being ingested from the breather, keep an eye open for leaking injectors and that should just about do it

if they just replaced that pipe then it seems a little steep, but it would probably still be about 3 hours work

• Like 1

Yeah talking to the mechanic this evening when I went down to pick up the car confirmed exactly what you said Dee.

Didn't expect to be that kind of money or work involved, had been have thinking of doing it myself as I thought it was simply remove the old feed pipe and putting on the new but obviously not.

He told me the reason this happened was because the turbo had been replaced already, probably not long before I bought the car which was August. However the turbo oil feed pipe should of been replaced at the same time but it wasn't which caused this issue.

On the upside he said the turbo appeared to be in very good condition (would want to be being that fact it'srelatively new) but it was unknown to me that it was replaced in the first place so has put my mind at ease in regards to replacing the turbo.

Regular oil changes and hopefully DPF and EGR valve removal this month should ensure hopefully a lengthy life for the new turbo :)

Thanks all for the help and comments with this :)

• Like 1

well, at least its sorted, I know its a lot but look at it this way, you were only a hairs breadth away from a wrecked engine if that thing got starved and popped!

EGR is a must do though and its dead easy to do yourself, look in to that DPF but most important of all, oil changes, I know its a pain but im going to do them every 6k, my first one a couple of months ago has some carbon deposits in, be interesting to see if its improved with the work done, eventually I plan on getting the sump replaced, pickup, feeder and banjo fixed. But I have priorities, catch can, my first MOT after all its work and then rear disc brakes first :)

• Like 1

Very true man, have to try look at the positives, situation could of been far worse if that oil leak hadn't been spotted when it was.

I'm the very same I said to myself I'm going to do oil changes every 6k, it's false economy not to. The general conception is the 1.6 TDCI is a terrible engine, but if you actually do the research, time and time again it says they're a fantastic engine provided there serviced on time. My last two cars both VAG 2.0TDI engines and I have to say the Ford is definitely nicer to drive and better on fuel economy.

The mechanic I was with today was telling me he has a fella with a 2009 Focus 1.6 TDCI and he services his car religiously every 8k and the car is now on over 260k miles on the original turbo still going strong. At the end of the day you can be lucky or unlucky but if you try maintain your car like you should your chances of been lucky are greatly increased :)

As for the EGR, I actually followed Lenny's guide and blanked it myself a few weeks ago, For whatever reason noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever, possibly because my DPF is quit clogged so getting the DPF & EGR removed and a new map should help the car a good bit

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi guys I have an oil leak on my ford focus st 2.5 that's leaking at the back side of the engine but also have some oil on the top of the engine 

Any help there 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club