Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Heavy Snow Here And A Chance To Deploy Winter Tyres

The Dark Knight

Nice. I took mine off roading sometimes in the Peak District. I think the most difficult was Monsal Dale and the rocky section was pushing the limits of the ground clearance with several rocks clanging into the underside of the car.

• Like 1

Yeh tbf making it well known that you have winter driving capabilities only means that you cannot pull the old "I was snowed in, sorry" reply!

I made the mistake of going out in the focus estate in some snow a couple years ago... With borderline tread... Wasn't a fun experience... An adventure, but just happy to have survived having to leave the car on someone's lawn and have it not have a single mark :)

FYI, AWD fiestas seemed to have it all sorted...

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 1

Got this video this morning on ice. Best to read the description on the video first.

Me personally would have winter tyres over summer/all season tyres. I always thought surely they cant be that much better.

My mate had them on his car last year. a few years before that also and he was probably the only one driving in and out the street apart from me as I had the 4x4 at the time as I was doing a bit of off roading.

He swore by them in the winter. he did pay a bit extra for them obviously but this is him going onto his 4th or 5th year with them now.

I have been lucky as the Focus I just bought has them on it. well just the front now as the 2 back tyres needed replacing. but the front does me for now.

As for would I have winter tyres or snow socks. winter tyres all the way, no doubt about that. stuff that once your out the snow and into clear icy roads having to stop and take them back off. especially with the amount of clowns you see on the road that just don't have a clue how to drive in the winter.

Im not just talking about the drivers who don't keep a safe distance from the car in front.

Im talking about the absolute clowns who should get their license took off them there and then that drive down the road with a peep hole scraped on their windscreen and don't even bother scraping the side windows.

Imagine one of those clowns coming down the road while your trying to take your snow socks off.

Too much hassle with the snow socks as you could be in and out your car 20 or 30 times a day putting them on, taking them off etc. Ok fair play. they would be ideal in the boot of the car as an emergency get me out of here.

I don't really get enough snow or bad weather to warrant them if honest. I just keep my car prepared for if anything was to happen. Much less cost that way.

I am personally a big fan of all season tyres. By "all season" I mean those with a snowflake and M+S markings, not just when some shop decided to mark it as "all season".

At first I was sceptical about it but after trying it out a couple of winters ago when there was a heavy snow, I fitted all seasons on my cars and couldn't be happier.

Yes, these aren't as good as proper winter tyres in winter (not as much traction) and not as good as summer tyres in summer (slightly delayed steering response in cornering) but they are so much better than summer tyres in winter and vice versa!

I've got Hankook Optimo 4S. These tyres are strange to look at as half of the tyre got summer thread and other half got winter thread.

But it is simply brilliant in snow - love it!

I think there is probably a big "north south divide" with this topic... I for one am in the south west of England... Snow lands on the moors or more inland, but not many other places... So for me, winter tyres; although better in the cold and wet, are too much of a big deal at my current location...

It's a bit like giving someone with agoraphobia a great outdoors orienteering map... Sure they can see the use it may have to some people but it's not really going to apply to them... So whilst I think most people can agree that: summertyres

I can certainly see why; for me, having a set of snow shoes in one of the rear quarter lockers would probably be the best option..

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club