Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Front And Rear Washer Issue

MM92

Hi,

My Dad's MK1 seems to have stopped pumping out front and rear washer.

The front washers don't even dribble a drop but the back one will cough out a small amount when first pulling the back washer.

You have to keep letting go and pulling on the rear screen washer for any water to come out (only a short, small amount at a time).

I parked the car over a dry patch and looked for any leaks while using the windscreens and nothing appears to have leaked.

The pump seems to sound okay.

Any ideas on how to easily unblock the pipes or chances are its a pump?

Thanks.

Given the cold it may just be frozen up was tell is to remove the hose under the front washer jet and see if the water comes out if its just dribbling its either frozen or the filter is gunged up this is accessible from behind the drivers side wheel arch

Hi, has Arthur said, the small fitter on the end of the pump, to get at it you need to take of wheel and remove wing dirt cover as it sit's behind it, at least you can test the pump at the same time by taking off the washer pipes to see if anything comes out, it always a good place to start and work your way up. also what does your dad put in it, you can get low freezing screen wash I use it all the year, water with soap from the kitchen is no good as it will freeze very quick.

Thanks, we'll have a look over the weekend.

Was just water on its own - I'll spend some time and see if it kicks back in if there's been any freeze blocks over Xmas while it was just sat there.

Gave it a go. Also used a pump where the water goes to see if that'll push it at all.

The back wiper worked a bit better but not at a decent standard and the front kicked in shortly.

Without having to jack the car is there anything we can put in their to clear a possible block?

My nephew has just come across a similar issue with his BMW, took it to the dealer who advised it was down to using ready mix screen wash which had been sat in the system for long periods of time without been used.....the stuff then congeals and blocks the filters in the pump.

Only way he cleared it was to fully flush the systems out, warm/hot water helps as well.