Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Steering Wheel Lock For A Mk7

josh.smith94

That's the badger, and it does fit a mk7.5 at least - I've got one, but I've just upgraded to a disklok, so if you want my old one you're welcome to it if you fancy a trip to Gloucestershire :)

That's a kind offer but it's a bit far for me, and would cost more in fuel than the price of a new one lol.

A thief will never find a professionally fitted tracker in the limited time they have - they generally go for easy pickings - so the more deterrence the better

There was a programme on recently, where the got a thief to show them what he does and he used his laptop to find a tracker in a Range Rover and jammed the signal.

Usually they aren't sure if there is a tracker fitted so will park the car and see if it's recovered, seeing as cars don't advertise that they have a tracker the car will be stolen, the tracker may not be activated till the owner finds that car has gone,so it could be miles away or if the police find it while it's being driven and a chase takes place.

A tracker is no deterent.

A tracker isn't a deterrent however it makes finding the vehicle much easier & quicker.

I think the next step for Ford is to have the Sync system connect to the mobile network by itself, with no need for a connected phone. Then with that in conjunction with the GPS, they could design a tracker which would cost them no extra money to add to the car, it's just the cost of developing it.

On the other hand if a thief had the choice of two identical vehicles, one tracked, the other not tracked, I suggest the thief is more likely to interfere with the vehicle that is not tracked, therefore a tracker could be judged, to some extent, as a deterrent.

You've already said a thief will not know where a professionally fitted tracker is placed, how will they know if a tracker is fitted in the first place.

You could fit a sticker saying one is fitted but, if that is enough to deter then why pay for a tracker and subscription?

A tracker is no deterent at all, a big lump of metal on the steering wheel could be.

• Like 1

We disagree :).

I am of the opinion that a tracker can be a deterrent - & you are not.

We disagree :).

I am of the opinion that a tracker can be a deterrent - & you are not.

It seems we do.

I'm of the opinion that for something to be a deterent it needs to be visible or known of, something hidden like a tracker isn't.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but but are these still the 2 best options for wheellocks? The stoplock pro & the disklok.

Cheers for any advice.

Thanks for the reply Lee, what's that one called?

What made you choose that one over the others?

Also does it leave Marks on the wheel?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Lee, what's that one called?

What made you choose that one over the others?

Also does it leave Marks on the wheel?

Thanks again.

It's a Sumex! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMQZ64K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Pretty much (in fact identical) to the 4tress model: http://www.amazon.co.uk/4Tress-Professional-Silver-Steering-Lock/dp/B003JMXURQ

What made me choose this one? I tried a DiskLok type, and it's too clumpy and the yellow paint would chip off - making a mess! Wasn't at all keen on it, and it felt loose on the steering wheel too. Took that back for a refund! I wanted a bar type lock, and looked online. Came across this one, and it was ideal. Solidly built too, and doesn't feel cheap.

Does it leave marks on the wheel? Yes it does, but I use a small sponge (cut into 2 pieces) - and this cushions the lock against the steering wheel. When I take the lock off, there are tiny indentations, but they soon push back out. I always lock on the same section of the steering wheel (T section)

Thanks again for replying Lee, I'm concerned as to the marks on the wheel, is your steering wheel leather?

The main reason I'm looking for one is when I go away and park my car in a car park for a few days and I don't want the marks.

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Could always go for a handbrake lock aswell? If you have a steering lock on theres still nothing stopping them from breaking the window to release the handbrake onto a flatbed if they wanted it that badly.

But would definitley do as much as you can to try and prevent them as they might see it as an 'easy' target (Nice new ST without any visual/mechanical protection) which could stop you getting your window smashed in like me! (had a lock on my OBD port so luckily still have my ST, just £75 out of pocket from insurance excess)

(had a lock on my OBD port so luckily still have my ST, just £75 out of pocket from insurance excess)

Which OBD lock do you have and how much did it cost?

Thanks again for replying Lee, I'm concerned as to the marks on the wheel, is your steering wheel leather?

The main reason I'm looking for one is when I go away and park my car in a car park for a few days and I don't want the marks.

Has anyone got any other recommendations?

Yes, mine is leather - it's the Titanium!

Honestly with the sponge, the marks left are minimum. They soon push out, and you can't even see the indentations.

Sponges are a mush though, with the steering bar-lock.

Which OBD lock do you have and how much did it cost?

I got my dad to make me one at work, showed him a video on youtube of some guy installing one around his port. Basically a sheet of metal bent into a U shape with two pins going either side of the cable so it cant be pulled out without the right tool (not gonna say on here as you never know aha) The actual plug is facing inwards so literally no access to it.

Ive also heard/seen on here that maplins do something similar but its plastic?

• Like 1

I got my dad to make me one at work, showed him a video on youtube of some guy installing one around his port. Basically a sheet of metal bent into a U shape with two pins going either side of the cable so it cant be pulled out without the right tool (not gonna say on here as you never know aha) The actual plug is facing inwards so literally no access to it.

Ive also heard/seen on here that maplins do something similar but its plastic?

That sounds great, you should tell your dad to patent it and sell them haha. Just think how many people could benefit from this, but if it became popular then it would be easy to get hold of the tool to remove it.

• Like 1

That sounds great, you should tell your dad to patent it and sell them haha. Just think how many people could benefit from this, but if it became popular then it would be easy to get hold of the tool to remove it.

Haha straight to Dragons Den then! It doesnt really need to be metal either, in that enclosed space even cardboard would put up a decent fight as its so damn awkward to actualy get a hold of the thing, especially as they wouldnt actually be in the car either.

• Like 1

So did he have to make the tool to get it off too? And do you think he would be willing to make another one? I wouldn't mind paying to have another layer of security :)

• 2 months later...

Someone at works ST was stolen in Essex at the weekend. Police said that those big metal containers are used to store the car, as the tracker signal cannot escape, thus no time pressure for the thieves.. Be wary if you live within close proximity to storage lockers.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club