Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7.5 Zs - Rev Limit When Idle

gje2403

Hi all,

Just wandering if someone could let me know what the Rev Limit is for my car when idle. I was in it early on and was giving her a rev and it seemed to rev no higher than 4k rpm, even with my foot hard to the floor...

Is this normal or is something wrong here?

Thanks

That's correct it's 4k is the limit bud

• Like 2

That's a good feature to protect the engine. I've heard that hitting the rev limiter when the engine isn't under load can be really bad, so maybe that's what this limit is designed to prevent?

That's correct it's 4k is the limit bud

Cheers for that mate I did think that was what it was for, but I just wanted to check as I've had some problems in the past with my car, so it was more peace of mine than anything else so thanks for the clarity :)

Cheers for that mate I did think that was what it was for, but I just wanted to check as I've had some problems in the past with my car, so it was more peace of mine than anything else so thanks for the clarity :)

I take it yours is the same then with the 4k limit? :)

Speaking of revs, does anybody's on occasion seem to rev itself when changing gears from first to second?

Mine sometimes continues to rev or hold the current revs despite the accelerator not being pressed as I'm putting the clutch down

Yeah I got a feeling it's to be eco (strange I know but ) if a rev counter drops fast it's loosing kinetic energy so a guess they slowed it down so it saves energy more economical

• Like 2

Yeah I got a feeling it's to be eco (strange I know but ) if a rev counter drops fast it's loosing kinetic energy so a guess they slowed it down so it saves energy more economical

sorry to drag this out, but just for clarity, it's supposed to only rev to 4k when idle?

no lol it idles roughly 1k ish (dont know the exact) and when you put the foot down it will only go to 4k and no higher then it will glide back to the idle speed of just under over 1k :P

• Like 1

no lol it idles roughly 1k ish (dont know the exact) and when you put the foot down it will only go to 4k and no higher then it will glide back to the idle speed of just under over 1k :P

that's brilliant thank you pal :)

• Like 1

Think with some models you can rev to the max while in neutral but if you've got the clutch down you're then limited to 3500rpm (ish)

Keep meaning to double check if that's the case with mine but it's not the quietest car to be revving up when stopped at lights etc.

It's a feature to stop you breaking something in the transmission by dropping the clutch with loads of revs already on the engine, not launch control which it's sometimes mistaken for. Not unique to performance models, my brother's 02 plate transit does the same.

Don't know about revs staying up when you change gear though, they've got to drop a certain amount to unload the transmission to let you change gear, unless I'm missing something which is different on car gearboxes compared to bikes which I've more experience of. I'd suspect the Fiesta is still using the same basic gearbox it has for years, I know with my mums 14 plate 1.25 it's got the same trait of not always liking to select reverse the same as older models.

Think with some models you can rev to the max while in neutral but if you've got the clutch down you're then limited to 3500rpm (ish)

Keep meaning to double check if that's the case with mine but it's not the quietest car to be revving up when stopped at lights etc.

It's a feature to stop you breaking something in the transmission by dropping the clutch with loads of revs already on the engine, not launch control which it's sometimes mistaken for. Not unique to performance models, my brother's 02 plate transit does the same.

Don't know about revs staying up when you change gear though, they've got to drop a certain amount to unload the transmission to let you change gear, unless I'm missing something which is different on car gearboxes compared to bikes which I've more experience of. I'd suspect the Fiesta is still using the same basic gearbox it has for years, I know with my mums 14 plate 1.25 it's got the same trait of not always liking to select reverse the same as older models.

Hey mate!

naw that doesn't work mate if you hold clutch down or have in neutral you can only rev it upto 4k and no more a limiter steps in and doesn't let you go over 4k in neutral or foot on clutch its there to save the gears (make them last longer for when you change gear but its also for economy but after all if its not connected to anything its not breaking anything) but i have noticed if your rolling the car over 5mph or 10mph (cant remember what one) coast the car or put in neutral you can rev it to whatever you want! but not suggested unless you like the noise :P

the revs stay up for a second then very slowly glide down to save kinetic energy and most of all (daft saying this) keep good economy (as if the counter drops too fast its loosing kinetic energy which could be put as driving (pushing forward) energy and dont want to loose that!

as for the transmission is the same design as they have used in the past but ecoboost one has been tuned so it has longer gear ratios but the limiter and the rev slowly coming down is in the ecu if i remember (dont quote me on the slow revving down part) but all fiestas gearboxes are smooth apart from first and reverse gear which dont have a (cant remember the name of it ) similar to a fly wheel that absorbs the energy and puts it into first or reverse but they don't have it that why you sometimes miss reverse or harder to get into first

• Like 1

All the more reason to rev it up :P

the revs stay up for a second then very slowly glide down to save kinetic energy and most of all (daft saying this) keep good economy (as if the counter drops too fast its loosing kinetic energy which could be put as driving (pushing forward) energy and dont want to loose that!

Sounds like a good feature but surely that will wear out the clutch faster. It could be a false economy, you might save a tiny drop of fuel each time you change gear but if you have to replace the clutch earlier then it's pointless. But if it adds 1 mpg or saves 1g of CO2 then of course that's what Ford care about more.

All the more reason to rev it up :P

Sounds like a good feature but surely that will wear out the clutch faster. It could be a false economy, you might save a tiny drop of fuel each time you change gear but if you have to replace the clutch earlier then it's pointless. But if it adds 1 mpg or saves 1g of CO2 then of course that's what Ford care about more.

Lol! Well a don't think it would wear the clutch as much as it does as normal because in that second of it keeping a rev (might be less) people don't change gear within that time their still changing gear as in they aren't millisecond fast at changing gear so a guess it would just be the same on the clutch as before unless you over revving lol

Lol! Well a don't think it would wear the clutch as much as it does as normal because in that second of it keeping a rev (might be less) people don't change gear within that time their still changing gear as in they aren't millisecond fast at changing gear so a guess it would just be the same on the clutch as before unless you over revving lol

Yeah you might be right, and it changes from car to car. In the ST, the revs drop quite slowly so there is plenty of time to change up a gear. When I'm driving normally I try to match the revs to reduce wear on the clutch, which is easy when changing up a gear just waiting for the revs to fall. It's not so easy when changing down because I haven't learnt to heal & toe, so can't really do this when going downhill lol, but I try :)

Yeah ano that feeling! But on a good note I was thinking why it slowed down then I remembered why it slowed down! The car has a smart regenerative braking! (but not using brakes :p ) this is what it will be doing I copied this

The new Ford Fiesta also comes equipped with what Ford is calling

"smart regenerative charging". Before you go thinking that means the

Fiesta is some sort of hybrid or electric car, think again. Instead,

it's an intelligent system of control for charging the car's battery.

Previously,

the alternator was permanently hooked up to the engine when running.

Here the Fiesta only engages the alternator when you're coasting,

slowing down, or idling, which reduces wear and tear on the engine and

other components in the system

So if you rev hard it connects the alternator to charge the battery including doing down hill etc I got this info from here

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/10-tech-tastic-features-inside-the-new-ford-fiesta-2012-1116488/2#articleContent

Also took a vid of the rev limiter just to show but can't upload it as my house has no net atm (bad weather)

right the nets back up so here ye go :D btw sorry for the ghit video quality

So if you rev hard it connects the alternator to charge the battery including doing down hill etc I got this info from here

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/10-tech-tastic-features-inside-the-new-ford-fiesta-2012-1116488/2#articleContent

From reading that info I thought it means the alternator will be disconnected when you rev, or even when driving along unless you're slowing down. Maybe it would also connect it if the battery was getting low, otherwise you could get to the end of a long motorway journey with a flat battery lol.

I wonder if this is the same for all Ecoboost engines or just the 1.0L?

Edit: good video, I might try that on the ST but I don't think it's limited like that.

i think it disconnects also when your not throttling or maybe connects at a certain speed so it doesn't run out but i know it does connect when increased voltage is required :D

not got a clue but you should go to ford etis it will tell you (says brakes = regenerative)

aww thanks yeah lol

Yep Etis says I have "Brake System - Regenerative" :)

• Like 1

Have you also noticed that it revs itself slightly whenever you engage/disengage the clutch? 2010 Fiesta never did it!

• Like 1

Have you also noticed that it revs itself slightly whenever you engage/disengage the clutch? 2010 Fiesta never did it!

yeah I've noticed that, don't know why it does it, but it does

It does this because the engine actually engages the alternator when you come out from a gear it saves power from the engine trying to turn a altinator all the time

Here is from a web page

Smart regenerative charging

The new Ford Fiesta also comes equipped with what Ford is calling "smart regenerative charging". Before you go thinking that means the Fiesta is some sort of hybrid or electric car, think again. Instead, it's an intelligent system of control for charging the car's battery.

Previously, the alternator was permanently hooked up to the engine when running. Here the Fiesta only engages the alternator when you're coasting, slowing down, or idling, which reduces wear and tear on the engine and other components in the system.

• Like 1

I hate it revving when changing gear I find it just results in sloppy gear changes unless you change gear like a grandad

I get my car upto 6k when going on motorway etc and have no issues