Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Locking Wheel Nut Seized

Froggy72

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me. One of my locking wheel nuts is totally seized on and it's impossible to undo. Has anyone got any ideas how I could possibly get it off as I need to replace my tyres. It's a fiesta metal by the way.

Have you tried a rattle gun after spraying some releasing fluid around the base and leaving it to soak?

WD40, Plus Gas etc

If so try some direct heat but take care with the wheel paint.

If you try a long breaker bar on it you might shear the key....

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I've put lots of wd40 on it over the last week. Took my car to Ford today to see if they could get it off and it wouldn't shift. They've told me to book it in and they'll try with an air gun and if that doesn't move it then they'll have to hammer it off. I'm hoping the air gun will work as will save me a fortune in Labour. As you've suggested air gun as well hopefully that'll do the trick.

Just bang an 18MM socket onto it and you'll be able to get rid of it, cost £2 in Halfords to buy, cheapest and quickest way to do it.

Problem is they've got a rotating collar on the nut so how will it work by hammering on a socket. Rattle gun hasn't worked nor has an expensive removal tool the aa uses.

The socket is smaller than the bolt, so you have to bash it on with a hammer, killing the socket in the process, but it'll lock to the wheel nut and you can get it off that way, but rotating collar no idea, probably have to drill the head off it, or jack it up and struggle away underneath, take off roll bars, track rods, bottom arm and get the drive shaft out and then remove the wheel and hub together and try that way.

Personally I don't bother with locking nuts after one of my last cars, wrecked 4 sockets just trying to get all 4 off as they just wouldn't budge and rounded off, no one nicks wheels these days anyway.

Thanks for the replies.The aa failed with a special dynomec tool so I managed to find a guy on the internet who has the same tool and managed to do it in ten minutes. I now have no locking wheel nuts as they're not worth the hassle.