Do Not Sell My Personal Information

C-Max Just Purchased - Under Warranty, But Have A Few Questions

Samsonator

Hi,

I just traded my Focus in for a C-Max and firstly I have to say that it feels completely different to a Focus to drive, despite what all the reviews and many people say!

That being said, I like the higher seating position and I like all of the equipment it comes with.

I have a warranty, so can take it in to be fixed and probably will, but wanted to know if there are any basic things I can check for the following:

1) Child lock does not seem to work - there is a white plastic key-hole and a diagram to turn it, but it does not work whichever position it is in.

2) Sometimes, when taking off, having been stationary for a little while, the car makes loud-ish mechanical creak/squeek and sounds like it comes from the left hand side. I noticed it more often when having a passenger... - this one definitely seems to need attention.

3) When slowing towards a junction and dropping into 2nd gear - there is no acceleration and the car nearly stalls - I've seen other people mentioning a similar problem. I find it less difficult after 1 day of driving it as I am aware of it, but it does seem a bit daft to have no power in 2nd and it does make you nervous at roundabouts and junctions. If everyone else has the same issue then that's a bit disappointing, but wondered if there are any causes or if that is how it should be?!

The car is a 2008 C-Max Titanium 1.8 Tdci

Thanks,

S

Definitely take it back for further resolution, but

1) It could be a damaged catch under the child lock, but if you turn it to the locked point and it still doesnt work then it needs replacing.

2) are you potentially referring to the ABS Self Test at around 10mph? otherwise if not, then it could be a break seizure?

3) Is it manual or an auto? It could be a fuel filter issue thats a common occurence this time of year!

Further info

1) The plastic catch seems be loose on the door that is not working, so I guess that bit needs replacing.

2) This is just for about a second or so when pulling away from stationary. It could be that a break is getting stuck?

3) This is a manual. I got the car from a Ford dealer with a 3 year warranty, so you would think it should be ok, but it could have been the person driving it before I guess. I have not had it long enough to fill up. Having said that, when the turbo kicks in it flies, so it accelerates nicely it is just the pick up in 2nd when rolling along very slowly. Unfortunately this is pretty much going to be the case when approaching a roundabout or other junctions - you put your foot down and it literally rolls along with no acceleration at all for a couple of seconds and then picks up. Almost like the throttle response is dodgy, but in 1st gear it picks up a bit too quickly in comparison and the two together are a bit strange - you have to be gentle in first or the car takes off like an aeroplane, but if you are too gentle, you will almost stall in 2nd. Currently the most annoy part of this car so far... I see many posts about having the EPG valve blanked which makes the car really responsive as this is the cause of lag in the low rev range. I hope that is not the only solution as I don't want to do anything that alters insurance...

Ok so 1 yeah it's probably a replacement. 2 is probably glazed brakes, but yeah it's nothing major and 3 could be simple as fuel filter or it could be egr related. Either way garage resolution is th best under warranty.

Ok so 1 yeah it's probably a replacement. 2 is probably glazed brakes, but yeah it's nothing major and 3 could be simple as fuel filter or it could be egr related. Either way garage resolution is th best under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so took the car into the dealer today and they spent a long time on it, but could not find the fault. Today, the issue with 2nd gear was not so bad. Firstly that is annoying, but also it makes me wonder what can be an issue one day but not another. The power is certainly a bit lacking at first in 2nd, but kicks in within 2 seconds. On a bad day, the car almost stalls in 2nd.

The dealer said they would carry on looking into it next week if I wanted... they didn't charge a penny despite taking it for 2 test drives. They don't think it's the DMF based on the fact that it drove fine today...

Now I am none the wiser!

It's possible temperature is affecting your hear change, a transmission fluid drain and change with the filter may improve this.

As for the binding, my auto cmax had a feature called hill start assist. Take your foot off the break and the car held them on for you so you could get ready on the gas and off you go without rolling back straight away it's possible this may be active on your cat though I'm not sure which variety of gem boards this is limited to.

Was the car well serviced before picking it up, I wonder if a dirty air of fuel filter (or either damaged ) is contributing to your problems.

If you can do without the car for a bit of van get a courtesy car then leave it with them to fix it and spend more time on it. Your not footing the bill so you might as well use the warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much luck on this I have not had time to keep taking the car in - some days it is fine and others it is not. The other day, the 2nd gear thing was crazy - it was getting stuck at about 5-10 mph with foot to the floor for 10 seconds (until I messed with the clutch and got it to kick into life). Some people say there is a feature where if the RPM are too low it will essentially ignore the accelerator peddle. This would fit with what happened, but the strangest part was that I went up a really steep hill in this state - no throttle but the car glided up on minimum revs, showing the engine is pretty strong. It did the same on the flat at a big motorway junction (not nice). Of course, now that I am watching RPM like a hawk it has not happened since...

I certainly havent heard that feature! I think you could be looking at the potentimeter (accelerator pedal sensor) or something else on the throttle body....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club