Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate Problem

DEMPSEY2014

Hi All,

Just been out side to put something in my wife's boot and the mechanism is dead that opens the tailgate, couldn't get in at all. As it was frosty I thought it might be frozen as there was no noise from the motor but she said it has been temperamental for the last few months. It is a 2005 Focus 5 door 1.4. Many thanks for any info or advice.

Regards

Hi Troy,

Yes it is the same with the fob. None of the other things are happening like opening randomly etc. There is just no response from the lever on the tailgate.

Thanks

Thought that'd be the case - next steps I'd suggest is either a wiring problem, think there can be issues in the flexible umbilical between the taligate and body, or a duff latch. Unless a fuse has gone but if the problem has been there off and on for a while then if a fuse has gone it's not the root cause.

If you can get the tailgate open and disconnect the latch you could check for voltages to it, if you know your way round a multimeter, or worst case get hold of a known working latch and plug it in. But how to get it open in the first place could be tricky?

Assume the car is a mk2?

Same line of thought applies with the mk1, apart from knowing if there's history with wiring problems to the tailgate?

Hi yes, MK 2. Mmm will have a think what to do next but thanks for your help.

if you double press the tailgate release button on the remote, that should pop the boot unless its a seized motor.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club