Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How Many Days To Build?

laumk7

My build date has finally come around (today) yay!!!

So the question is how many days does the car take to build? It's a standard Fiesta TX with a few extras thrown at it

Eeeeeeeeee! The excitement starts now!!!!! :d :d

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Im sure it takes about....... 6 months :P Ants in yer pants?? :D

• Like 1

Some of it depends what your build date actually means - if it's when the body starts being built then the time is longer, plus it depends how the factory schedules it's builds and if bodies go direct from Body to Paintshop to Trim or bodies are stored and called from storage to match up with orders.

The build date then could actually be when the body goes onto Trim lines as that's when your order and a body are mated up.

Will take a day (probably less) for the car to get through the Trim & Final assembly lines, then it depends if car has to go for any off-line repairs or sails through nice and clean. The extras won't affect this unless they're added to the car off-line, very unlikely for standard builds like yours.

General build sequence is

1. Press shop (not really a car there just lots of metal panels being stamped)
  2. Bodyshop (aka Body In White) where bodyshell is welded together
  3. Paintshop, car body is dipped and various coatings applied for corrosion prevention plus sealing operations done then painted
  4. Trim & Final - painted body gets all it's bits and pieces assembled inside and out, drivetrain sub-assembled and mated to body, electrical testing etc etc etc
  5. Off-track - car is now on it's wheels and off the moving assembly track to go through processes such as WAHA (Wheel Alignment Headlamp Alignment), Rolling Road test, some type of Drivetest, plus goes through Watertest facility before final quality checks and hopefully released to Sales/Transportation. Also where any repairs will be carried out.

If all goes to plan the car could make it's way through Trim, Final, Off-track and sail out the door within a day. For my first Focus ST I managed to get hold of it's status as it went through the assembly processes but can't remember off-hand how long it took or how it all related to the specified build date.

• Like 1

Wow Troy thank you!!! :d that's really detailed and clued me in much better than the dealership have done about this stage in the process

I'm just hoping now that the build date is the final stage 4 where everything gets put together ready to be finalised, I've been waiting since the end of November for thing to reach this stage and have to wait until the end of February (actually begining of March is when I get the car) for the car to be delivered to the showroom

Ants in my pants Ade? Too right I have lol :lol:

I've never waited this long for a car in my life, even my drivers test didn't take this long to book and sit (and then resit as nerves got the better of me first time around :blush: )

• Like 1

I think it's 3 days from build date to gate when its journey to uk starts

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

That quite slow tbh Toyota used to build the Corolla is under 1hr not so many years ago. Rollers take a full 6 months.

That quite slow tbh Toyota used to build the Corolla is under 1hr not so many years ago. Rollers take a full 6 months.

Exactly which bit did Toyota do in under an hour?

Please don't say they got cars through Trim & Final that quickly.

No that's V*****ll that build and quality check in an hour. Explains a lot

:blink: explains a hell of a lot! :o

Wonder if they're actually designed in someone's coffee break too as clarkson once said :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

No they'd have been better if they put so much time in

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club