Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daytime Running Lights

maxx31

Hi all

I've have seen a few posts on drls and how to wiring them up and been looking a different type of LEDs

My question is what's that law on these light ? some say they must go off when you main light come but I see plenty of

Cars on the road with them on all the time . Even eBay do both types all very confusing .

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Hi,

It does state that the DRL's should go of when dipped lights are on you are correct and I also see other cars with the, on, I'm guessing they are dipped slightly.

I got my set of eBay, ring 8 led, I also got DRl relay which turns off the lights when dipped is on.

DRL go off when main lights are turned on. However wha tnormally happens is that DRL become side marker lights when the main lighting is turned on, thus complying with the regs. So in RL mode they should be equivelent to a 21 watt conventional lamp, and 5 watts when in side light mode so a dimming DRL kit should be fine. Not dome it to my Fusion yet, but previous cars, power the DRl kit from a hot feed like ignition, and connect the sense wire up to the side light power feed. Most decent DRL kits will have the 3 wire connections, power ground and sense, some dim the lamps, others turn them off.

Mike.

Only time drl don't need to dim is if you have xenon lights (factory fitted not retro). This is because the led's are not brighter than the xenon bulbs. Halogen bulbs are no where near as bright so the drl has to dim.

DRL's should dim or switch off when sidelights are switched on.

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies been an interesting read . Will start looking on eBay and possibly Halfords

Now where to mount them..... ?

Was thinking as mine is a 54 plate with the old style bumper there an air vent on the trim at the bottom of the bumper under the fog lamps at least there something behind it to attach to

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

You can put them in the grill, fog light surround are popular placements...

Depending on the style you get you can slide them in discretely most locations

• 3 weeks later...

There is a lot of conflicting information in here and elsewhere about DRLs and the law. People often confuse the terminology used in the regulations which mostly refer to the rules on DRLs which came into effect for newly designed/approved cars from 2011 onwards. There is next to no information available for retro-fit DRLs.

As someone mentioned, DRLs must come on with the engine and go off with the sidelights. As an alternative to going off they are permitted to dim to 50% of their normal brightness and, indeed, they must do so if they are also the vehicle's "statutory position lights" - or sidelights as we normal humans call them! They are NOT allowed to be used at full brightness with sidelights or headlights on, whatever type of headlights you have.

There are also other indications that this is acceptable. That is the rules on auxiliary vehicle lighting. The "statutory" lights - the ones fitted by the manufacturer to comply with the law - are fixed. Though shalt not mess with them! There is no such insistence on the fitment of auxiliary lighting such as driving lights or fog lights. As long as they comply with the fitting positions (a certain distance from the edge or centre of the car) then they are OK. I would imagine the same would be true of after-market DRLs and provided that you comply with the rule about going off or 50% brightness with the sidelights on then I cannot see how they could be considered illegal.

Making them go off with the sidelights is not hard. Take a fused feed from the ignition circuit, add a normal automotive two-way relay which triggers using a feed from the sidelights so that it cuts off the feed from the ignition circuit. To have them dim, you have an additional feed from the ignition circuit with the inclusion of a resistor (the value of this will depend on the power of your DRL units) to the second terminal on the relay so that the two-way relay now flips between being powered by the full 12 Volt ignition feed or the reduced voltage feed. Simples! The only complication is selecting the right power and value for the resistor.

Note: Your insurance company may want you to get an inspection to ensure you have wired it safely.

Most insurers don't bother, but as mentioned can insist any modification is legal by inspection. If fitted they must comply with mot standards, some people have failed mot for the incorrect installation of retrofit DRL's, so the fitment and dimming or switching is necessary. The relays mentioned can be bought on eBay as one unit for around ten to fifteen pounds, if like me you are not overly confident reverse engineering them to cut power lol.

They can be used as indicators which so far have little regulation other than colour and accurate use.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club