Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf, Egr And Such

Samsonator

Hi there,

As a fairly new owner of a 2008 1.8 Tdci C-Max, my main complaint is the apparent loss of power at low revs, which is really only noticeable in 2nd gear - quite a big impact on drive-ability. It's a shame because when the engine wakes up it is quite a joy.

The main problem is that I do a lot of very short journeys during the week as I drop my child off at the child-minder 5 days a week - this is only about 1 mile tops. This is probably not great for any engine really.

I guess this is worsened by the dreaded DPF and maybe EGR (they both seem to be a pain in the butt).

What I can do is take the car for a decent spin at least once or twice in the week and on the weekend. So what I would like to know if anyone knows anything about anything(!) - what would be the best thing to do, to keep the engine in decent condition given that I have to make 10 1 mile journeys during the week?

Thanks,

S

Are you sure your car has a DPF? The 1.8TDCi in the Focus range never had one...

I'd blank of the egr, spray egr and turbo cleaner in to the inlet manifold, this usually loosens up soot and I certainly notice a differance.

But like you said most cars diesels especially don't like the constant stop start so I'd give it a hard right foot up the motorway to clear it out.

Not sure there is a DPF - it was a suggestion from others, but if there is not one, then it narrows down the issues! Would love to have the EGR with a hole done as long as it did not invalidate my 3 year warranty...

sounds more like a mass airflow meter problem to me, they tend to breakdown at low revs basically when one of these go there is no power up until a certain rev band then you get loads of power usually its just after the point where the turbo would usually spool im not sure how to test this(on fords) but on my 306 if you unplug it the ecu will go into a certain parameters as if the mass air was not there. and you should see a noticeable improvement. the mass air flow is normally located just past the air box I unplugged mine on my Peugeot 306 and this was my answer to say the part was broken

Short runs will kill the egr and dpf on any diesel. I did this on my old seat diesel and it helped get some revive turbo and engine cleaner and put it in just before you get it serviced. Then once a week take it on the motorway and keep it over 2.5k revs at 70mph for 20mins after you have warmed the engine up. This will help clear dpf and keep egr and turbo cleaner. The problem with a diesel is there designed for long runs where the engine is kept at optimum operating temperature. If found all are miss sold as good sort run frugal cars but that's no the case at all. I'll never have another diesel as only doing 14miles a day was killing it. Petrol is more suited to the job but they still need a good blast now and then to keep them right. Another thing is stay well clear of supermarket fuel as it's just not good enough.

My MK3 ST TDCi Mondeo ran like a dream for 40k in 8 years of ownership using mainly '' Tesco's '' ordinary diesel, which of course is sourced from the same refineries as branded fuels & all fuel retailed in the U.K. has to meet the relevant B.S.

The more expensive, premium fuels such as Shell V Power or B.P. Ultimate for example, do have additives which up the cetane / octane levels & contain detergents too - hence the premium cost.

Diesel vehicles, especially with D.P.F.'s do benefit from regular '' Italian tune ups '' !

When I purchased my car at first it was just 'ok' to drive. Mine had the same feeling as yours. The next couple of days went by when driving it and I wasnt enjoying the drive. I was more or less regretting buying it.

Then I spent 5 minutes of my time and blanked off the egr valve.

What a massive difference! Then I purchased this:- http://www.tuning-diesels.co.uk/our-range/synergy-ronbox-1/

My car is a fantastic drive! Pulls like a train in all the gears, fully adjustable too. It took me 2 minutes to fit. I would highly recommend it. But thats my personal experience and I have done this with every diesel I have owned and not one problem in the whole time in owning diesels.

You blanked your EGR valve in 5 minutes? I'll pay you to do mine (with the 1cm hole to prevent warning lights)!

I suppose I want to avoid voiding the warranty as I have a 3 year warranty. Taking the car in on Friday to have it looked at. I am concerned (for no particular reason) that if they do not find a fault they will charge me even though I have the warranty. I will show them the issue if they can't find it!

I did mine I'm 5 minutes too, with hole in middle to prevent MIL coming on.

Like you said about the warranty if there is a problem with the egr they will see the blanking plate.

A blanking plate with a hole in it defeats the purpose of blanking the E.G.R.V. - recirculated exhaust gases are still entering the inlet manifold.

You blanked your EGR valve in 5 minutes? I'll pay you to do mine (with the 1cm hole to prevent warning lights)!

I suppose I want to avoid voiding the warranty as I have a 3 year warranty. Taking the car in on Friday to have it looked at. I am concerned (for no particular reason) that if they do not find a fault they will charge me even though I have the warranty. I will show them the issue if they can't find it!

Like you said about the warranty if there is a problem with the egr they will see the blanking plate.

Right, having a egr blanking plate with a hole in defeats the whole point of recirculating gases going through your intake.

I bought stainless steel plate. A solid one. Its fitted and no lights came on. Iv got a fault code reader/eraser too which is fantastic. Only a tenner. But my light never came on for me to warrant a reader.

Yes, fitting a plate took me 5min. Iv got warranty and its aload of crap! Might aswell flush money down the toilet in my experience. The part has to be completely stripped and inspected. Then only for them to turn round and say 'wear and tear'. Managed to get a new 150amp alternator out of it but no mechanical failing part even tho I have a gold cover.

When it did go into for warranty work, they never noticed my blanking plate and my diesel tuning box was removed which took 30 seconds!

Still love the way its driving now!!!! Just need the suspension lowering.