Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Tdci - Lumpy Running On Low Revs - Arghhh

vibeone

So having spent god knows how much lately on stuff that needed to be done (timing belt for one), I still don't have a 100% car...

Main problem is STILL a water leak, but I doubt anyone can help with that here - just an annoying problem I'll have to solve myself.

However another issue that is slowly getting worse is the lumpy/really lumpy running the car randomly falls into doing.

There doesn't seem to be any loss of power when I put my foot down, and nothing much at idle either. But if I'm tootling along with very slight revs the car starts to jump around. The rev counter doesn't twitch, but it does feel engine related, and if I put my foot down a bit, its gone, and if I put the clutch in, its gone.

DMF was done about 10k ago, so (hope!) not that, the car does have the EGR blocked, and to be honest, i muffed up and one bolt where the block goes is broken - however I'm pretty sure it's sealed.

However, the fuel filter hasn't been done for 60k (should be 37500), and I haven't looked at the air filter either, though it's supposedly a zero maintenance k&n (standard oem replacement type).

I'm currently sat at work hence why I haven't bothered with the easy checks yet, but I wondered if the fuel filter being so over the hill could really have such an effect?

Also, the fault still happens with cruise control on - does this mean its 100% not throttle position sensor, or would that be too easy?!

Not to sure about the problem overall but with regards to the air filter there is no such thing as maintenance free. Some are re-usable and can be washed out and re-oiled but either way they get dirty and clogged up so could be causing bad air flow if its been in there for tens of thousands of miles dependant on driving area and conditions. They can go (up to) 40k without attention according to k&n but seems excessive.

Just under 50k! Although I have given it a brush once or twice.... Would the air filter not be more important under acceleration though rather than just average running? That said you could say same about fuel filter I guess.

(I'll be changing the fuel filter and cleaning the air filter anyway btw, as they're well due, just wondered if these could be causing the problem)

As you said it would be same idea for the filter but you would expect it to bog under acceleration if it was an issue with air flow.

Having a quick look online there are posts relating to diesel fuel filters causing bad running due to being partially blocked. Diesel isnt the most refined of fuels so could be the case after over 60k miles with no replacement.

Let us know if the change works.

Certainly will.

By the way, another odd thing -there has always been small bubbles in the fuel filter in/outlet clear piping. I assume this is fine because I haven't had a problem until now, but I assumed there shouldn't be!

DPF is the other big expense I haven't had to sort yet.....................................................

Air in the fuel lines can cause problems (obviously) and realistically there should be minimal if any air bubbles. But most are acceleration and starting related as when you accelerate there are slight pauses in fuel delivery, idle can also be effected.

Cheers for the reply - sorry I must have missed the email notification!

The bubbles can be seen in the clear pipes when it's just idling...

I used ELMConfig to reset KAM (and the module) and it seems better since. I know from previous this often causes MPG to drop so I'm wondering if the car over fuels a bit until the KAM info stabilises. Would this also suggest I should stop faffing and sort the fuel filter asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I had the same problem with chudding along at low revs, my car had a few things wrong with it which have now been solved and the problem has went away, my car had EGR, and alternator changed on warranty, 09 plate focus 1.8tdci titanium, ALSO when I had my full service done, I was told a drive shaft seal had went, and no.2 injector seal had gone. Now thats alot of things to pick one, but Id possibly put it down to my egr and the injector, dont know if it helps you in anyway!

Hi bullfry...

EGR is blanked

Alternator was replaced at 80k after it stopped being an alternator and instead decided to be a red hot Hester instead!

Driveshaft has been mentioned - recently had a good check though and boot replaced

Leaves injectors I guess but... Meh. Just don't really think it is. I realise that sounds daft but just doesn't feel serious enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yeah just thought Id put my bit in, my injector was just causing "dampness" wasnt as if it was gushing out but been ok since, hope you get to the bottom of it matey, dont suppose you know if the egr you fitted would fit my 1.8tdci do you? I ordered thw wrong one :/ a link would be brilliant!

All I know if that the 2.0 I have now looks nothing like the 1.8 I had previously. Totally different engines - mines the pug/ford engine, yours is all ford (and probably a better unit!)

Totally different engines - mines the pug/ford engine, yours is all ford (and probably a better unit!)

Nope, Peugeot have been making excellent diesel engines for a long time and there is a reason why Ford asked them to use their engine in the focus.

As to your problem.... you really need to service your car as per the recommended intervals rather than reacting to a problem when it occurs. The fuel filter on a diesel is really important and its asking for trouble not to change it on time. Regarding your bubbles in the fuel lines, they might not be air. They may be water...... it will look the same. do you always use the same filling station to get your diesel?

I disagree with engines - like the 6 speed, extra power but prefer the drive of the 1.8. I've had both - so 'nope' for me.

Fair point on the water but no I drive all over - don't really have a 'local' that I use all the time.

Also I generally change the oil between 6 and 10k. I service my car :) I just inexplicably forgot the fuel filter completely.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club