Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Box Replacement? Mk1 Focus.

xcd

Hi, I had a previous thread about losing Reverse & 5th.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65951-focus-mk1-lost-reverse-gear-5th/

The garage have confirmed the gearbox has failed, they can't look at it until next week anyway, but have suggested that if they can repair the gearbox it will be £300-£350, if it can't be repaired the cars scrap? Is this really the case? Can't I just get another gearbox or a refurb one? Is there a situation where that's really the only two options?

The cars only done 31,000 miles and is in brilliant condition

Thanks.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear you are having problems. I'm no expert but I would say... OF COURSE you can get another box put in!! I don't know who you use for your car problems but, basically it might be down to your garage not wanting to take on the job of putting in a second hand/reconditioned gearbox and you still having a problem! So it might be worth phoning around to see if you can find someone else who would fit your gearbox for you...when you find or buy one!! Hope that makes sense and helps...certainly sounds too good a car to junk!!

Cheers Mike,

Chris

As above, yes you can put another box in. Plenty online and in breakers.

Same the only issue with another box is you'll need to replace the clutch and release bearing IDE find as different garage to be honest

Car scrap cps needs a new gearbox they havin a laugh like art says I'd find a new garage might not be viable to them but it's your motor and maybe all you can afford not everyone can afford to run around in up to date cars my lad has a mk1 and virtually everything has been replaced on it still road worthy and still cost him a fraction of the cost of the latest model .

Plenty of companies that will provide a rebuilt gearbox and take the old one as part payment as its only 5 th gear unless the syncro is damaged it may only need an adjustment the ib5 gearbox has its flaws but losing gears at a low mileage isn't one of them IDE get another opinion

Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting so many!

Garage wise they're pretty blunt, but family have used them for years and they're good at what they do, e.g. instead of failing an MOT if it's an easy fix they'll just do it for free to help you pass it. They passed my Focus today no issues.

I've been and collected the car and had a chat, he said they got it into reverse and it made a horrific noise so he reckons teeth have broken off. He said his gear box guy can try and repair but it will be £300-350 and might not work.

He said in his opinion I'm better off sourcing my own gear box and they'll fit it for £100-150.

Problem is where do I find a gear box that won't just fair, local scrap yard is poor and I'd need to remove it from a car myself if they even have one. Do I just risk one from eBay? Do I need a IB5 or MTX75 for my 2000 1.8L Zetec, I've found very mixed comments online.

@Artscot79 why would I need a new clutch and bearing if I change gearbox?

Thanks/

I thought the IB5 was fitted on the 1.4 and 1.6 Mk1 focus and the MTX75 on the 1.8 and 2.0.

lad at work bought quite a few ford boxes off eBay, he just bought one for mondeo st tdci for £75, worked fine

I thought it was the MTX75 as well, but then I've found other things that said the 1.8 Petrol had the IB5 and the 2.0 petrol and 1.8 diesel use the MTX75, mine also didn't match some pictures I found when trying to adjust the cables, can I see the model number from under the car, would ford be able to confirm? Want to get this ordered asap and can't get under the car till Saturday.

I've had the car its an ib5 gearbox I all focus models till it gets to the 2.0 even the mk2 and 2.5 use the revised ib5 you wouldn't put an old clutch and bearing in as it will need replaced later on so you'll go through the whom hassle again its common and money wise practice to get a second hand box and put in a new clutch and release bearing.

You could put the old ones in if it goes in 6 months you'll pay to have the gearbox removed new clutch kit etc

@artscot79 Thanks, I'll look for an IB5, hopefully find one as ebayers don't seem to put the model! The garage reckoned that due to the low miles my clutch should be good for a good while yet.

1.4, 1.6 & 1.8 have the IB5 box, 2.0 have MTX75 box. Easiest way to tell is on the MTX75 box you will have a ring on your gearstick under the gearknob that you have to lift to get it into reverse, the IB5 is just spring loaded into reverse.

Even though your car is low mileage, the clutch could still have had a hard life, a cheap full kit you can find for around £80, its just peace of mind and could save you paying out for removal of the gearbox again within the next 50-80,000 miles, but obviously the decision is yours at the end of the day.

£70-100 for a gearbox on eBay, just be sure you find one for a 1.8 petrol as 1.8 diesel ones are different, any petrol 1.8 box from 1998-2004 will fit ok.

Thanks, I've found one I think should work, does the engine matter? As it mine is a 1.8L zetec engine, does it and the Duratec(?) engine use the same gearbox, this is the one I found Focus Mk1 1.6L SE gearbox.

Next, do we fit it ourselves (although I suspect a jack won't give enough clearance, so probably a garage with a lift?

Thanks.

Spoken to ford who said IB5 and gave me this part number (which comes up with nothing) 1124096

I'm not sure if there is any changes to the gearboxes for each engine or not so can't answer that.

Gearboxes are quite easy to do on the focus working on the floor, don't need that much clearance.

there are subtle differences depending on age ie 2004 onwards mk2 was revised with upgraded parts but the se one is still the same box

The most important thing to look at is the gear ratio. The IB5 gearbox is used on several engine types (from the 1.3 Ka engine to the 2.0 Fiesta ST 150 engine) with different gear ratio's.

The gear ratio of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 will definetely be different from the gear ratio of the 1.8 Focus MK1/MK1.5. Next to the gear ratio there are also some other differences. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 gearbox does not have a Vehicle Speed Sensor because on the MK2/MK2.5 the Vehicle speed is calculated bij the Brake Control Module by using the ABS sensor data.

Was just about to buy and then saw this, I presume/hope they are wrong?

No you can't.

The starter motor is in different positions on the 1.6 and 1.8 so, unless you want to transplant ALL of the gearbox internals from the 1.6 'box into the 1.8 casing, you wil have to find an IB5 gearbox which has come off of a 1.8.

Pain in the !Removed! I know.

http://passionford.com/forum/4923185-post4.html

Seen another one claiming the 1.6 & 1.8 use different ratios in the gearbox as well and it can throw the speedo off? This is complicated!

You'll have to get a focus 1.8 ib5 gearbox!!!
The bellhousing on the 1.8 ib5 is diffrent from the 1.4 and 1.6 ib5s.

http://focusowners-social.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=163790&sid=014781f20e40c565c2f5033e17ea7708#p163790

1.4 1.6 & 1.8 petrol use the IB5 the 2.0 petrol and the 1.8 derv use the mtx75

You need to get one from the same engine size as yours as the gear ratios will be different in the lower engines

http://focusowners-social.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162927#p162927

Spoken to ford and using some random 1.6L reg numbers from auto trader have said the 1.6 zetec/lx use a different box part number to my 1.8.

**edit**

Ordered one specifically for a 1.8 in the end, unfortunately cost £20 more than the 1.6 one and has way more miles/not as good condition (although still ok), hopefully come Wednesday and get it fitted by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new gearbox for £85 + £10 for new seals for it, got it fitted for £125 and all working great again now.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi friend.

I own a focus mk2.5 *f/l   with 1.6 ti-vct 115 hp.

I want asking if i can fit the gearbox of FOCUS ST170 (6GEARS) to my car.

My gearbox is too long and i can not riding sport .. it s to heaavy and slow.

Also i made reprogram to ecu abd now i have good results.

But missing a shorter gearbox. If teh ST170 it  s not combatible to focus MK2.5 1.6  does know any one what same gearbox ib5 is shorter (ratio) for fiting to my car ?

Greetings from Greece

John Gemi

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club