Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk3, Sub, Amp & Speakers Upgrade

Stevenlee91

you can fatten both the positive and negative cables mate,

heres a link to my top uk supplier of automotive cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170680456683

i cant wire a 240v plug but i can wire 12v crimp terminal :lol:

Was I right in how I would fatten the cables?

Also that item no longer exist so can not see any details.

• Like 1

Was I right in how I would fatten the cables?

Also that item no longer exist so can not see any details.

yes your 100% mate,

sorry heres another link same supplier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-15A-amp-12V-Black-Red-DC-Power-Cable-per-2m-15-A-AMP-15AMP-12-Volt-/180513876557?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a07772a4d

Cheers for the link. That is 15amp wire would you recommend that or 10amp.

• Like 1

Cheers for the link. That is 15amp wire would you recommend that or 10amp.

10 amp is sufficent but theres not really much in the difference,

Dont think he sells 10amp anymore so 15 it is lol

10 amp is sufficent but theres not really much in the difference,

Dont think he sells 10amp anymore so 15 it is lol

I have now bought the 15amp wire so I'll wait for it to arrive and then probably fit it next weekend I hope.

Lenny do you mind if I do a Multi-Quote on some of the previous questions I asked in previous post so I can dig into your knowledge? It'll be easier if I do it this way than you scrolling back through this.

• Like 1

I have now bought the 15amp wire so I'll wait for it to arrive and then probably fit it next weekend I hope.

Lenny do you mind if I do a Multi-Quote on some of the previous questions I asked in previous post so I can dig into your knowledge? It'll be easier if I do it this way than you scrolling back through this.

Sure no problem,

I may not get back to you now immediatly as im in work until 23:00 but ill be sure to respond after that.

• Like 1

Sure no problem,

I may not get back to you now immediatly as im in work until 23:00 but ill be sure to respond after that.

Thanks Lenny your a star. Not as many questions as I thought.

I've spotted the ST side skirts which come pre-painted to you cars colour it would just be figuring out how to remove the old ones and fit these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FORD-FOCUS-13-ST-SIDE-SKIRT-SPORT-DRESS-UP-PAINTED-Moondust-Silver-/161224315042?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2589b7d0a2

Reading over some forums people have suggested the Philips X-Treme Vision for the headlights. Also lots of people have said to avoid the LEDs for the parking lights due to flickering and not lasting very long.

Is it possible to change the black trim on the rear bumper only?

• Like 1

I live in Rochdale. Why?

Just wondered if you were near me mate I'd come help you out, Rochdale would be a hell of a road trip from Herefordshire though!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Just wondered if you were near me mate I'd come help you out, Rochdale would be a hell of a road trip from Herefordshire though!

Hi Micro - Thanks but that would be too much to ask it's one hell of a journey. I am going to fatten both the positive and negative wires with the core of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Core-15A-amp-12V-Black-Red-DC-Power-Cable-per-2m-15-A-AMP-15AMP-12-Volt-/180513876557?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a07772a4d&clk_rvr_id=784439467534&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I'll then wrap in installation tape up to the Piggy Back Fuse & the crimp ring terminal.

• Like 1

I've spotted the ST side skirts which come pre-painted to you cars colour it would just be figuring out how to remove the old ones and fit these http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2589b7d0a2

That's a good price for sprayed parts mate,

Not sure what the setup is on the mk3 but on my mk2 i had to remove the existing black strips by taking out some Torx screws and clips,

Then using the same Torx to hold the skirts

Focussidestripremoval2-1.jpg

Focussidestripremoval7.jpg

Focussidestripremoval4.jpg

Reading over some forums people have suggested the Philips X-Treme Vision for the headlights. Also lots of people have said to avoid the LEDs for the parking lights due to flickering and not lasting very long.

I can vouch for the T10 led parking bulbs i linked you to in previous post, I've got a set fitted over three years now and still 100%

Image2444.jpg

Image2443.jpg

IMG_20130405_092115_zps29dff0f4.jpg

There's a lot of debate on all forums regarding Philips vs. Osram,

Philips have fingers in many pies, which in my opinion means they don't put much R&D in to items as its not there sole bread and butter,

Osram make bulbs its all they do,

Its there reputation and i personally favour them for that.

I don't get involved in debates personally some people just cant be helped lol i put advise out there for others and respond to questions when asked but i tend not to get involved in senseless debates in situations like that i stick to my own advise and walk away.

Same when others begin throwing advise; saves me time and energy if someone else wants to take over lol

Is it possible to change the black trim on the rear bumper only?

I'm not sure what sort of setup is on the Mk3 weather its a case of swapping out diffusers on the bumper or if its like the mk2 where the panel fits over the stock bumper.
  • Like 1

That's a good price for sprayed parts mate,

Not sure what the setup is on the mk3 but on my mk2 i had to remove the existing black strips by taking out some Torx screws and clips,

Then using the same Torx to hold the skirts

Focussidestripremoval2-1.jpg

Focussidestripremoval7.jpg

Focussidestripremoval4.jpg

I can vouch for the T10 led parking bulbs i linked you to in previous post, I've got a set fitted over three years now and still 100%

Image2444.jpg

Image2443.jpg

IMG_20130405_092115_zps29dff0f4.jpg

There's a lot of debate on all forums regarding Philips vs. Osram,

Philips have fingers in many pies, which in my opinion means they don't put much R&D in to items as its not there sole bread and butter,

Osram make bulbs its all they do,

Its there reputation and i personally favour them for that.

I don't get involved in debates personally some people just cant be helped lol i put advise out there for others and respond to questions when asked but i tend not to get involved in senseless debates in situations like that i stick to my own advise and walk away.

Same when others begin throwing advise; saves me time and energy if someone else wants to take over lol

I'm not sure what sort of setup is on the Mk3 weather its a case of swapping out diffusers on the bumper or if its like the mk2 where the panel fits over the stock bumper.

If I do change the skirts to them it will be when the weather picks up so I can have a day when its nice and not raining. Same applies to the rear diffuser. I am thinking that the rear diffuser will have to be done by a professional.

I think the flickering T10 LED Bulbs people have been talking about are cheap and it is probably expected if they are. But if you can vouch as you have for the ones you have linked I don't see why I shouldn't give them a chance.

Philips vs Osram - I think this is just a personal preference as to which ones to people go for so I don't think there is a debate to be had. You do put up a good point though for the Osram lights which I hadn't considered. I will be ordering my lights soon as this will be my next mod after installing my Dash Cam.

• Like 1

I've bought two new headlight bulbs, two Lucas H7 £2.52 each from Eurocarparts.

Perfectly bright enough! :D

• Like 1

Well here's an update..... I have stripped the wires on the Dash Cam Installation Kit and have got the thicker wires and stripped them have looked at the Installation Kit wires and how thin they are I really don't think that the best option is to fatten the wires.

I have since located a new Installation Kit which comes with the Piggy Back Fuse connected and the earth crimp terminal. The only thing with this kit is that its comes with a Mini usb connection and not a Micro usb connection which is what I need for my Dash Cam.

So I am investing in this Dash Cam Installation Kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dashcam-Installation-Kit-5-Volt-USB-Plug-Low-Profile-Mini-Fuse-Hardwiring-Kit-/301471592665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46311b70d9

And an Mini-to-Micro Angled usb adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-MINI-A-5-PIN-FEMALE-TO-MICRO-B-5-PIN-MALE-RIGHT-ANGLE-ADAPTER-CONVERTOR-/251499985232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e913950

That way this will turn into a simple plug-in and play I hope.

I can't remember which way the cable plugs into the GPS mount on the camera, that right angled plug may be pointing down the windscreen.

As you've got a wiring kit anyway with your camera (I'm assuming you're not sending it back), do you want to try using some red barrel crimps? (Get them from Halfords, maplin, eBay, etc).

Cut the blue crimp off the fuse, strip some wire, add a red one onto it. Then with your dash cam wiring kit, strip the wires about 3/4 - 1 inch, fold the wire over so you fatten it some, then crimp that into the barrel crimp. For the earth lead, just buy an eyelet crimp (again, red in colour), and do the same for that one.

Save you some money if you can do it that way is all i'm thinking!

I can't remember which way the cable plugs into the GPS mount on the camera, that right angled plug may be pointing down the windscreen.

As you've got a wiring kit anyway with your camera (I'm assuming you're not sending it back), do you want to try using some red barrel crimps? (Get them from halfords, maplin, ebay, etc).

Cut the blue crimp off the fuse, strip some wire, add a red one onto it. Then with your dash cam wiring kit, strip the wires about 3/4 - 1 inch, fold the wire over so you fatten it some, then crimp that into the barrel crimp. For the earth lead, just buy an eyelet crimp (again, red in colour), and do the same for that one.

Save you some money if you can do it that way is all i'm thinking!

I looked at that adapter for around 30 mins before deciding to buy it having looked I believe it will be pointing up towards the roof. Even if that turns out to be wrong it will only be another couple of £'s.

I have also already bought the New Installation Kit and as its coming from USA it could take a couple of weeks.

I appreciate you trying to save me some money but I'd of rather have someone else fit it professionally tbh. This is the next best thing and I have the tools for any future wiring jobs.

It is the wrong direction, the wide bit of the micro socket is away from the windscreen: 10p0m84.jpg

Hopefully it'll all come together! :-)

It is the wrong direction, the wide bit of the micro socket is away from the windscreen: 10p0m84.jpg

Hopefully it'll all come together! :-)

I have been looking at it non-stop since I bought it and have seen its wrong lol.

How about this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Micro-Degree-Angle-Adapter/dp/B00KHKICB2/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZAEBKG12A464

There are some on eBay from China for 99p mini-micro usb, give me a sec and i'll find some.

Since you're waiting for the kit from the states, buying from china shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Here ya go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-F-Left-Angled-90D-Micro-USB-Male-to-Mini-USB-Female-Adapter-Converter-Cable-WT-/161464299894

There are some on eBay from China for 99p mini-micro usb, give me a sec and i'll find some.

Since you're waiting for the kit from the states, buying from china shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Here ya go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-F-Left-Angled-90D-Micro-USB-Male-to-Mini-USB-Female-Adapter-Converter-Cable-WT-/161464299894

Cheers pal just ordered one of them. So now I just have to wait.

In the mean time I think I might order my new lights :)

• Like 1

Interesting read through the topic. My ears perked when I heard speaker/sound upgrade :)

As usual, Lenny is a wealth of information and an all round great guy. He drove over on his day off previously to me to help me out with the car. Absolute gent.

With regards to the sound upgrade, I have completed mine on my Mk2.5 and have some bits of advice:

1. Consider doing it in steps if you don't want to Shell out a lot of money from the get go. Also, that way you see/hear the results with each new component added. Trust me when I say that it's quite exciting getting new parts in the car to hear the difference.

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/learn/putting-car-audio-to-the-test.html

2. Plan the sound system you want and can afford. Check online sites for deals. If you are willing to wait, there is always deals available on eBay, amazon Warehouse etc. e.g I waited till one eBay shop had a clearout and got my JL Audio sub for £20 less than RRP.

3. Research what you would like to buy and try to listen to it in a shop e.g speakers/subwoofers.

4. From my own personal view, consider Focal for your Speakers. They have different ones depending on your budget but if you want a bigger soundstage, their inverted dome tweeters make music a lot more fun to listen.

5. I second Lenny's suggestion for JL audio subs. They are a bit harder to find but the quality is very good.

6. I'm not sure how quiet the MK3 is but do consider sound deadening such as Silent Coat or Dynamat to reduce vibrations. It will make the music sound better in the car and you don't need loads of it. Start with the doors where the Speakers are and then do the boot and maybe the floorpan. If you want to further make the car quieter, Mass Loaded Vinyl decoupled by a Closed Cell Foam Layer on the floorpan will help.

7. My own build thread for more info

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52338-hassens-ford-focus-16-tdci-build-thread/

8. Mr_Spock' thread for inspiration

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/44150-guide-to-complete-stereo-installation-focus-mk2/

9. Lenny's build thread for his current sound upgrade.

Happy modding :)

• Like 1

I recommend contacting ford dealership aswell as email fordpartsuk.com

To get a price on the body kit parts,

Then price around locally for spraying & fitting.

High Beam:

Osram NightBreaker Plus

Low Beam:

Osram Cool Blue Intense

Front Fogs:

Osram Cool Blue Intense

Headlight indicator:

Silvatec Mirror Finish bulbs

Wing mirror indicator:

Silvatec T10 Mirror Finish bulbs

Rear tail light indicator:

Silvatec Mirror Finish bulbs

Reverse Bulb:

Cree Q5 led reverse bulb

Front parking lights:

Set of these I've got them fitted three years now

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281214995706

Lenny - You any idea of the fitments (I.E. H7 ETC) for each bulb

• Like 1

Lenny - You any idea of the fitments (I.E. H7 ETC) for each bulb

Sorry to say i dont mate,

Sorry to say i dont mate,

Hi Lenny - Thanks anyway..... Turns out there's a Bulb Specification List in the owners manual (Picture Below)

post-62404-0-17796400-1424972226_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi Lenny - Thanks anyway..... Turns out there's a Bulb Specification List in the owners manual (Picture Below)

attachicon.gifIMAG0103.jpg

Nice layout there for quick reference aswell.

Nice layout there for quick reference aswell.

I know. I don't think I seen many of these lists in car manuals before. It could just be that I've never had to look before.

I have another question Osram Nightbreaker Plus or Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited Plus are these the same or different I can't tell I'm currently looking on eBay.

Have you got all the lights you listed fitted? If yes do you have a link to a picture?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club