Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound Deadening

FocusSmudge

Same here, mine starts this weekend looking forward to some good results

• Like 1

Clean the area well with white spirits, use a roller to apply and wear gloves as the metal bits are razor sharp. Take your time and don't rush it as it will stay there for a long time. Plenty of Youtube videos available to get an idea on how to apply the product. Have fun :)

• Like 1

does this video pretty much sum up what needs to be done? silent coat + dodo mat on top and some sound foam in other areas

• Like 1

looks impressive when finished would not want too take it back off it car every got water leaks :rolleyes:

For the floor pan an easier removable option and one ford use on the focus mk3 and above is foam underlay for laminate flooring well all flooring having done mine with it it does work easier to shape and cut cheaper and waterproof http://www.onlinecarpets.co.uk/carpet-underlay/10mm-thick-carpet-underlay.html

That's a cool video demonstrating the process and materials used. Hoping I get mine sorted over the summer :)

Been looking into sound damping myself. I'm thinking of going with the silent coat stuff but after reading this thread and seeing that we can use normal carpet underlay I may give that a go too.

Question I have would we fix the underlay down with a glue or just lay and shape to the floor then stick the car carpet back over?

I would use some form of adhesive spray

Simple carpet adhesive spray to stick it to the bottom of the carpets fine personally I didn't need it the stuff doesn't move around or anything if cut properly I also used the spare wheel as a template to cut some underlay to fill most of the hole as I don't use the spacesaver a spray of adhesive and its done

• Like 1

So in a bid to quiten down the road noise coming from the rear of the car I set about adding some sound deadening.

I had a roll of roofing flashing and some laminate underlay about 2-3mm thick to add to the trim when I put it all back. So all the rear trim panels came off and I set about putting dowm the roofing felt, once that was done I lined the carpet trim with the foam underlay. Finaly there was enough of the roofing flashing to also do some of the boot floor and under the bonnet. I intend to get some more of the flashing so that I can cover the wheel well.

I also found a gapping gap between the outer skin and inner skin at the rear by the rear lights area so I stuffed this full of fibre insulation to help further.

This morning I went on a drive and took some decibel readings and then again after I had finished with the same drive and I have noticed a significant reduction in road noise as well as a 9db lower readings so well chuffed.

Anyway here are some pics of my working progress.....

Trim Off
F7CFCE1B-76B8-432E-AC49-AFDB3035D17E_zps

Nearside
2C2DAC66-BAB3-408C-92A3-E77CF35E9CC9_zps

Offside
034F2E5B-D305-479A-96EC-1577F4FA27D5_zps

Bonnet
D059E309-A2A3-4220-981D-CE537230C81E_zps

Foam & Trim
8B963D14-74CB-448A-8D0A-E1100F130FD5_zps

• Like 1

superb installation bud did it cut easy what is the price of the material

Thanks mate, yep was easy to cut. I got the stuff for free as my brother in law is a roofing contractor and my neighbour had some spare underlay.

I believe the roof flashing you can get from the likes of Wickes for about £25 for 10 metres

would this be any good guys see link i have just picked up our 2009 2.0L tdci and have to say its not bad at all after coming from a 2002 audi a4 tdi witch i feel could have been better the tyer noise was not the best and the wind noise from the front windscreen was a big let down. the focus seems better to me on the motor way but i may end up doing this myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-sheets-Car-Van-Sound-Proofing-Deadening-6mm-Insulation-Closed-Cell-Foam-/161217058453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2589491695

yes that looks good, ideally it should be instaled on top of something like silent coat

So am I right in thinking that you really need to layer it up like

Car Door Outer or inner Skin

Sound Deadening

Closed Cell Foam or underlay

The foam stuff is pretty cheap and available everywhere, the deadening stuff is what we are talking about with using roof flashing yeah? doesn't need to cake the inside of the car, just needs to be placed on panels to prevent it vibrating, bigger the panel, bigger the vibration.

After that your stuffing the car with foam and with this it is a case of the more the better.

its on my list of things to do but the prices of some of this stuff is astronomical, esp when some of it is clearly relabled roofing supplies!