Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound Deadening

FocusSmudge

Hi foks,

Just a quick one between breaks at work.

My MK2 Titanium is particularly noisey on motorways and dual carriageways from road noise. I've got a good set of Mitcelin tyres on and was having a look at installing additional sound proofing. Anyone tried it?

Sorry about the typo's. In a rush lol

Cheers.

Hi Piran, I have a mk 2.5 hatch with 205/50/17's, and like you I found road noise an issue. I splashed out on a custom kit from noisekiller, which was around 200 quid and did help quite a bit. I'm sure you could do the same job quite a bit cheaper if you just bought the insulating material and cut it out yourself ( I see you have an estate, so a thick rug in the back could help, for almost nothing!) regards, Martin

• Like 1

Martin. Thanks for the fantastic response.

Is been looking at something similar on eBay, is not cheap but any benefit would be welcome. I was hoping to add some padding to all wheel wells. I bought a boot load cover which has actually helped quite a bit!

Still lots of noise generated from the front of the car.

Will check out the custom kit you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Adhesive roofing felt. Exactly same stuff as Dynamat at 1/1000 the price

Hi madmole, I was wondering about that roofing strip (flashing?) for the doors under the cards.. Does this stuff leave any smells after being applied? The adhesive mat supplied by noisekiller was totally odourless (but pricey!) it's such a faff removing the door cards I only want to do it once!

I did the whole of my Mondeo with the self adhesive roof stuff, It was identical to the £30 small sheet of dynamat I had (apart from missing the dynamat logo) and cost £20 for a 10m by 1.2m roll. No odour and with a heat gun you can mold it just like dynamat.

I'm pretty certain, dynamat just buy the same stuff and logo it, cut it into squares, put a pretty box on it and sell it for a 1000% mark up

Worked well especially lining the whole of the boot and tyre well, I did the whole of the floor, under the carpet and the whole of the door skins. Was a very quiet car considering it was seam welded, braced and extremely lowered (it was an ex Ford BTCC car (Andy Rouse's))

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did the whole of my Mondeo with the self adhesive roof stuff, It was identical to the £30 small sheet of dynamat I had (apart from missing the dynamat logo) and cost £20 for a 10m by 1.2m roll. No odour and with a heat gun you can mold it just like dynamat.

I'm pretty certain, dynamat just buy the same stuff and logo it, cut it into squares, put a pretty box on it and sell it for a 1000% mark up

Worked well especially lining the whole of the boot and tyre well, I did the whole of the floor, under the carpet and the whole of the door skins. Was a very quiet car considering it was seam welded, braced and extremely lowered (it was an ex Ford BTCC car (Andy Rouse's))

don't suppose you have a link to the stuff you had, or something similar? sounds a good price for the amount you got! :)

It was from Payless, now defunct, about 20 years ago. try Wickes or
B&Q. Normally next to roofing felt rools (the stuff with the sandy
grit on. This is thicker and no sand/grit

You guys who used roofing felt, what material did you use for the hoodliner? I'm worried if I get the normal bitumen/asphalt material and line the inside of the bonnet with that stuff there may be a risk of it burning.

Also, does lining the bonnet even have a huge impact on the road noise inside the car? Is it worth it?

I didn't do the roof, just the floor pan, wheel arches, door skins and boot. Would have though laminate floor felt underlay was better there as its less heat sensitive and thermally a better insulator as well. But on my Focus there is not a lot of room between headliner and metal

My engine bay already has a bonnet liner! and engine cover. Don't know on the Focus, but on my old landy you can definitely hear the engine far more with its cover off

• Like 1

Recently bought a new engine cover on mine to replace the old one. New one had the colored lettering but I also added the padding from the old one to the new. Now have two layers of the stuff on my new cover and it's made an improvement to the noisy 1.8TDCi!

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I'm also thinking of sound deadening the rear of my car.....I have some roof flashing that I'm going to use on the wheel arches but was also thinking about the void gap space where the rear seat belts fix to, would you think it is sufficent to put loft insulation in the void gaps?

Jason

ive heard good things about silent coat http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Coat-Sound-Deadening-Proofing/dp/B0045CMFAC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431952427&sr=8-4&keywords=silent+coat

i really want to do mine too as i find it too noisy on the motorways but there isnt a good guide anywhere for stripping out the floor on the focus. the rear would be easy enough to do though.

• Like 1

yeah i've seen that stuff too, I've heard that the roof flashing stuff is just as good and is far cheeper :) just found some wool insulation in the garage which has a protective sleeve over it so hopefully this will suffice.

I'm going to try to do mine at the weekend with a Haynes manual to hand to guide me through :)

Just wanted to share my own experience. Last year I did my sound system upgrade over the course of months and I used Silent Coat on my doors, bonnet and boot.

Here are a few pictures:

IMAG2020_zpswzkhhoqu.jpg

IMAG1928_zpsfyxbg9xv.jpg

IMAG1923_zpsbbz2jw6e.jpg

IMAG1917_zpsapfc1zja.jpg

IMAG1915_zpsgdast8xn.jpg

With the amount of Silent Coat I used, the noise on motorways and national roads(100-120km/h) has decreased by about 5-7Db (measured with the phone app). The car feels more solid and quieter but it's not BMW/Mercedes level of refinement...yet. I am planning to add more Silent Coat on the floorpan along with a Mass Loaded Vinyl/Closed Cell Foam layer branded Dodo Mat. I used nearly 2 packs of Silent Coat so far and plan to buy another one(24 sheets) to put on the floor pan during the summertime.

I would highly recommend the Silent Coat if you are looking to reduce vibration. For airborne noise, Mass Loaded Vinyl decoupled with a Closed Cell Foam layer is what would work best from the research I have done so far. I have no experience with the flash tape but some people have had good results with it.

• Like 1

So did 1 pack of the Silent Coat do your door, boot & bonnet? I was also going to get some laminate underlay and put it under the carpets just to add another layer of sound resistance.

I needed nearly 2 packs to get the above done. I think I have about 4 sheets left. I went all out on the front doors. Did the inner and outer skins front and back doors. The rear doors I only used the Silent Coat sparsely on the inner skin.

The cheapest I could find it was on amazon with free delivery for the Bulk Pack. I think it's very similar and as good as Dynamat at a lesser price.

Also, the bonnet has the stock foam linner over the Silent Coat.

Thanks for that, yes mine has the foam liner on it so may consider doing the bonnet bits as well bearing in mind mines a dirty diesel but having said that's it's not too bad noise wise from the engine bay.

• Like 1

You will definitely hear the difference as mine is a diesel too. At present, I can barely hear the engine unless under load. Cruising on the motorway the 2 types of noise are mainly wind and road noise from tyres. Hoping that the combination of Silent Coat and Dodo Mat on the floor will cause a significant drop in noise levels and increase comfort.

• Like 1

Think I'll add some to the bonnet then [emoji106]

• Like 1

yes fords are bad for nvh

noise vibration and harshness, this sound dampening is whats needed on every focus to give it that "german" feel

• Like 3

Thanks. Leant something new today :)

I'm hoping to achieve that German feel this summer once the rest of the project is completed with more sound deadening. Can't wait for it :)

• Like 1