Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Flush/oil Change.

jace1969

I always have an oil and filter change every 6 months area at our local CHEMIX AUTO CENTRE.

Is it worth having the engine flush as i have always had it on my other cars and does it gain anything.

I have the main service (12 months) at ford.

My own view is that if oil/filter changes are carried out in accordance with service schedule then there is no need for a flushing agent to be used. I might use flushing oil if purchasing a used car if I was uncertain of its history when a service was carried out.

My dealer offered a free check over of my Tit X at 1500 miles and I opted to have the oil and filter changed to get rid of any metal shards & nasties associated with a new engine. This was done to give the best start possible and hopefully increase longevity. My car`s first service will be September and mileage will only be around 5000.

I have had the car around 4 months and got FSH but not at ford but i always ring up the garage and ask them

about the car off the reg etc,i have always done this.

This garage said the person was a ''anorak'' in his words and would have oil/filter done very often,like 4 times a year.

Also was ford mad and everything had to be spot on.

Just having oil and filter will save around £10 or so but just seeing the gain if any.

just an oil and filter will be fine esp if you change oil twice in 12k 12 months.remember that not all the oil is drained out when changing oil, 0.5 litre or so remains in the engine in various places, so if your using a flushing agent then that will also stay in (in diluted concentration though), so when you start engine with fresh oil some of that flushing agent will mix in, id rather not have that floating round my engine.

im one of those anoraks who changes oil regular also. lol

just an oil and filter will be fine esp if you change oil twice in 12k 12 months.remember that not all the oil is drained out when changing oil, 0.5 litre or so remains in the engine in various places, so if your using a flushing agent then that will also stay in (in diluted concentration though), so when you start engine with fresh oil some of that flushing agent will mix in, id rather not have that floating round my engine.

im one of those anoraks who changes oil regular also. lol

LOL it shocked me how the person just come out and said it,i must be as i'm talking about having it done.

I have always had it done twice on every car i have and 12k a year lol,lucky to do 4k,this is the reason i like it done.

Change the oil as required by the book, and top up when needed. Anything else is a total waste of time / money with a modern engine.

ive always changed oil regular , been so for the last 35 years, none of my cars have ever had any engine related issues, come to think of it not really had any major issues with them either,

ive always changed oil regular , been so for the last 35 years, none of my cars have ever had any engine related issues, come to think of it not really had any major issues with them either,

I do the same,for the sake of how much it is and what he could help on the engine.

Never had problems and it always says if doing low miles and stop and start a lot like i do.

So no engine flush in the next week or so then.

I must be the odd one here. My Fods galaxy has engine flushed wity Comma flush every 10k miles and It has now coverred 232k miles with no engine problems. So i am a beleiver of flushing.

Good job its an old galaxy, the new galxy 1.8 dont like flushing agents, destroys the cambelt that runs in oil, same goes for the 1.0 ecoboost, can see having problems with those soon from flushing agents.

And the source of your information is?

LOL does it do good or not and is it worth having it done or just have oil and filter done every 12 months.

I do around 2k or under if lucky,and i mean lucky around 6 months and very short stop and start,don't get warm.

Change the oil as required by the book, and top up when needed. Anything else is a total waste of time / money with a modern engine.

Sorry but that's ridiculous ! Anyone who has a TDCI engine must be aware the only real risk to these engines is oil starvation to the turbo caused usually by dirty oil. Frequent oil changes IE every 6K miles is a good investment against the above happening !

Oil is cheap turbos and engines are expensive !

One of my Fiesta vans (Have two) is on 170,000 miles and never missed a beat. The oil in the vans gets changed and a flush out every 6,000 miles so we must be doing something right.

It is wholly possible to under maintain . Its not possible to over maintain......

• Like 1

Sorry but that's ridiculous ! Anyone who has a TDCI engine must be aware the only real risk to these engines is oil starvation to the turbo caused usually by dirty oil. Frequent oil changes IE every 6K miles is a good investment against the above happening !

One of my Fiesta vans (Have two) is on 170,000 miles and never missed a beat. The oil in the vans gets changed and a flush out every 6,000 miles so we must be doing something right.

It is wholly possible to under maintain . Its not possible to over maintain......

And say that to anyone with a Renault Dci engine.. they will also agree that regular/frequent oil changes are also very much the right thing to do!

And say that to anyone with a Renault Dci engine.. they will also agree that regular/frequent oil changes are also very much the right thing to do!

I agree,i like to do mine every 6 months,sure its good for the engine.

Does this engine flush just make the oil thinner and will give it a deep clean like get rid of stubben oil and stuff.

I agree,i like to do mine every 6 months,sure its good for the engine.

Does this engine flush just make the oil thinner and will give it a deep clean like get rid of stubben oil and stuff.

There are two types of flush. One is an additive which is put into the old oil. The engine is then run and then drained. The other is where the engine is drained then filled up with the flushing oil. Then drained the filter changed and re filled with the correct oil.

We do the latter. When the flushing oil is drained it realy does clean out some muck and filth . Well at least on the diesel cars. The new oil stays really clean for a long time but obviously discolors as te oil in all diesel engines cars do ..

Keeping oil ways and tight pipes clear is the main objective in the 1.4 and 1.6 TDCI engines. If we don't the risk of turbo failure is great and if the turbo blows big style and this is not unknown on the vast amount of cars sharing these engines the insides of the turbo can get blown into the combustion chamber and bang goes your engine.. Not nice,Rarely affordable and not hard to prevent with extra maintenance.

• Like 2

Yes, it's completely ridiculous that in the year 2015, using fully synthetic oil (in engines not designed in the 1960's - I miss my A series..), the service intervals recommended by all manufacturers and oil companies are so misleading. After all, what have they got to lose?

You may also want to read about how fully synthetic oil has lower friction values the longer you use it. But don't let modern technology get in the way of "how we've always done it"..

I always take pride in any car i have and like to keep it as good as poss.

Even old bangers i have.

The oil flush they use is in a tin and put it in first then change oil.

Yes, it's completely ridiculous that in the year 2015, using fully synthetic oil (in engines not designed in the 1960's - I miss my A series..), the service intervals recommended by all manufacturers and oil companies are so misleading. After all, what have they got to lose?

You may also want to read about how fully synthetic oil has lower friction values the longer you use it. But don't let modern technology get in the way of "how we've always done it"..

The fact remains that the oil feed pipes can become restricted IF the oil becomes contaminated and oil in diesel engines does become far more contaminated due to the burning process of said diesel engine.

So do we bury our heads in the sand and suppose car manufacturers cannot get it wrong ? Do we suppose that sticking to the 12,000 mile service intervals must be just tickety boo cos the manufacturer's say so and wont admit to out of warranty liabilities ?

Or do we take the only precautions we can and and make sure the oil is as clean as it can be by throwing in interim oil changes ?

Tell me fella cos I cant imagine anyone not wanting to protect their large investments ... A turbo is going to cost a heap more than a large tub of super high quality oil and a few filters.

These engines are fitted into Fords. Peugeot's, Volvo's, Minis to name but a few. Look around any forums discussing these engines and you will see that the feed pipes get restricted and/or blocked. The cost can be huge and as above there is only really one line of defense and that is to keep that oil just spot on.

Trust me as an engine builder (Yamaha Motorcyle) I do fully understand oil. Its viscositys qualitys and how it works.

In perhaps a petrol engine with a much much cleaner burning cycle 12K intervals are sufficient. My honest opinion is ANY and every diesel engine should be oil changed at 6K intervals even if they don't have the historic problems these engines do.

Well said Charlie, and I use the 5ltr Comma flush oil rather than the tin concentrate

Well said Charlie, and I use the 5ltr Comma flush oil rather than the tin concentrate

It's the Comma stuff we use as well mate !

It's the Comma stuff we use as well mate !

No oil flush this time then,they use the tin stuff and its booked in to be done,its not the comma stuff.

Do you know if the same applies to turbo petrol engines? I had an oil change at 5000 miles but was planning on just following Ford's service schedule after that.

The thing is there are so many variables at play, it could just be that you drive your vans with more care than the average van driver i.e. not flooring it all the time even when the engine is cold.

Do you know if the same applies to turbo petrol engines? I had an oil change at 5000 miles but was planning on just following Ford's service schedule after that.

The thing is there are so many variables at play, it could just be that you drive your vans with more care than the average van driver i.e. not flooring it all the time even when the engine is cold.

I would apply the same logic to a turbo petrol engine as I do a diesel. Any engine that has a turbo demands quality oil. A turbo petrol still does not have the same ....Well dirty way of polluting its own oil though.

One van is on 174,000 miles the one I use myself is on 101,000 miles. Neither have had any issues with turbos which is the very common issue associated with these engines. Can I say absolutely 100 % that the frequent oil changes have made a difference ? Well no of course not but its reasonable to suggest it hasn't done any harm ?

Driving condition vary massively for all of us. More cold starts for instance are a killer for an engine as a large proportion of overall wear takes place in the warm up cycle . Lots of motorway miles applies less stress and wear on an engine . I could go on but I guess we all know the rest !

If a particular engine suffers from a problem and the TDCI fitted to the Fiesta (among others) has an historic and very well known issue then surely it makes sense to safeguard against that happening ? As above there is only one thing we can do and that is put in high quality oil and change often.

• Like 1

To be honest if I had any mechanical skills I'd probably change the oil myself, then there isn't the extra cost of having a garage do it. I should just learn to do it, can't be that hard.

It would be good if there were some actual statistics on frequency of oil change vs turbo failures and other problems. Maybe there is something like that hidden on the internet somewhere, you'd think the oil companies would be all over it if there was evidence to support frequent oil changes.

• Like 1