Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Power On 2.0Tdi Cmax 04 After Flywheel And Clutch Change

Jimcz

Hi there

Following my last post i found the correct flywheel for my car after giving up on buying online and went down to euro car parts who got me everything i needed so thats all good!

Before i put the clutch and gerbox in the car went well and pulled like youd expect for the power the car has.

I put the new dmf and clutch in and the car seems to run well on tick over.

There was excessive smoke coming from the exhaust when i first started it up which has seemed to have cleared now. I checked the joint on the catalitic converter to the turbo, i thought it may be taking in air.

when im driving it it gets up to around 2800rpm and it starts spluttering a bit and gets bogged down in all gears. it doesnt seem as if its boosting properly but i can hear the turbo winding up.

I dont think theres any problem in the turbo because it was fine before i done the clutch

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Any fault codes, do you have a code reader this will tell you if it's lacking boost. And any other faults

hi

No i dont have a code reader im afraid.

what would of caused the white smoke on cold starting? didnt know if that could be related to a reason its not giving as much power as it should

Definately worth getting yourself a code reader or two!

As for the white smoke, it can be more often than not just moisture (water droplets) in the exhaust, as they evaporate and take some oil with them it burns off as a white vapour. Normally only lasting between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. Beyond that you would have more of a concerning issue, for example if its all day everyday - then its most likely related to a head gasket...

what code readers are good? i mite look into getting one.

If theres an error code being thrown up do you get the engine management light come on? Thats what happens in my nissan van. Just asking because i havent got any warning lights

Also the air box was left exposed to the rain for a while on saturday. Not open but i think i remember the engine side was facing up. I was throwing it together in the rain by the way because i didnt want the job to drag on any more

I did check that the air filter wasnt wet and that i wiped clean any water i could see.

So the thing about moisture and white smoke makes sense. But would this cause a power loss? and will it just burn off on its own?

thanks

Is it white smoke or is it moisture?

Water vapour/moisture is quite normal but white smoke would be an indication of too much diesel/running rich which is probably related to your loss of power..

Have a look at my thread in my signature 'got an error on your car'. My personal favoured option is forscan with a modified elm cable as you get the best combination of diagnostic power for value.

As Stef said alternatively it's down to mixture. This could be due to either a dirty or faulty maf sensor which can generate an error code, also it could be due to a damaged air hose, or pipe.

iv got the maf sensor out and it does look a bit dirty on the side the air hits so im gonna give that a gentle clean.

i checked the rest of the intake pipe to the turbo and that looks alright as in it hasnt come away on the joints.

only thing i can think of is that when i dropped the engine down to get the gearbox out that something has come away on the intake so ill have a look for something and let you know.

Thanks

had a look around all the intake pipes n nothing obvious

So i tried cleaning the maf sensor but not really much joy.

Found out that when i start the car with the air box connected it will run lumpy on acceleration and smoke but when i remove the air intake from the air box it revs fine, Maf is still plugged in.

Is this a dodgy MAF sensor?

Try disconnecting the maf and running the car without

it runs fine without the maf on. the same as if i leave it connected but dont connect it to the intake the problems start when i have it connected to the intake

I'm which case it's probably faulty. I suggest cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner)(drown it, leave it to dry, drown it again repeat 3 times). If that doesn't sort it you will need to replace it.

Hi

No joy on the MAF sensor i swapped it over and it still happens. Apart from when the maf is connected or not it still blows white smoke when i press the throttle. Im a bit puzzled on this.

Before i started work on the flywheel the car ran fine and it pulled like it should. And when i picked the car up and drove it home with the dodgy flywheel in it went fine from a cold start.

when i done the flywheel and clutch i took out gearbox, catalytic converter driveshafts, air box gear cables etc

Would i be able to damage the catalytic converter? and if it had an air leak whould it cause white smoke?

iv checked air box and ran it without it on with no difference.

could they of given me a slightly different flywheel with different pick up point on crankshaft sensor that could cause this?

I know theres alot of maybes in there but im a bit stumped nd really want to avoid taking it to a garage where they could end up telling me it needs a whole engine rebuild or something daft like that.

Thanks for any help

Did you replace the sensor like for like or with aftermarket?

it was an aftermarket one. i didnt think that would matter?? i thought it may not be as good quality but it would work?

It's all about tolerance. Ford spec their tolerance and that's what the car works with however aftermarket are more universal and are not ford tolerances. So what is 0 or 1 to ford units could be negative numbers on aftermarket and it can cause issues.

FOUND IT!! My bro in law told me to check vac pipes all round engine so i found one vac pipe which was astray so put that back which made no difference then carried on looking around and found the fuel rail pressure sensor plug clip had broken and the guy who owned the car before me had his garage mastic it in place and this had come away

Stuck that in and jobs a goodun!

Thanks for all ya help n replys

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club