Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Saloon - Leaking Rear Screen?

FreeFocus

Hi,

I have a Mk1 saloon which appears to be leaking water into the boot. Small amount of water is dripping on the carpet. When I put my hand under the lip on the passenger side (around the area where the pulls are to drop the rear seat) it comes back wet. My mechanic has had a look and can't figure out if the rear screen is letting water in (so it's running down inside the car and coming around the join) of if the seem that sits just above is letting water in. It worse when it's been washed, and oddly when opening the boot the entire back half of the lid is covered in water droplets (my first thought was that the seal around the boot had gone). My mechanic, when testing tried blowing air up from inside the car to see if any bubbles appears around the rear screen with no luck.

My mechanic thinks the rear screen might break if we take out and re-seal, but there is no guarantee this the cause.

By the way, it's not coming from the light cluster - totally dry around both of these so 100% not leaking rear lights!

Anybody else had this problem or any ideas on where else it might be coming from?

The car is good condition and has only mid 50k miles from new so don't mind spending some money on it, just want to make sure it's not wasted!

Thanks

Rear spoiler would be my first port of call remove the panel underneath in the boot any water will be evident. The water it runs onto the panel then down so it can look like the window when its not

Hi

Thanks for the thoughts - I don't have a spolier so sadly can't check that out - it's a '99 Ghia! The roof rack plugs are worth a shot - most likley be the weekend before I get the chance for a look see.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Problem solved. I took the car to my local body shop who determined that water was getting between the seems, he did a bit of welding and job done - no more moisture in the boot.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club