Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 1.4 Tdci (Glow Plugs, Starting, Few Questions)

saul tdi

Hey guys I picked up a Mk6 Fiesta (2007) 1.4 TDCI about 3 weeks ago. I have a few questions about it which I tried asking on another ford forum and didn't really get answers which was kind of disheartening but I think it was just a unpopular forum. Hopefully you guys can help.

Sorry for the long paragraphs I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible in order to get the best responses.

So first off, the glow plug indicator doesn't seem to come on at all even in sub zero temperatures. I would have thought that it should come on for a second every time the ignition was switched to on with all the other bulbs just to show that it was working, but I was told that it should never come on unless the temperature is below zero. So now that we just had freezing temps and snow i was able to test it and it didn't come on at all even below zero. Whats going on here? I've heard different things from different people (even the guy I bought it off said the glow plug indicator isn't supposed to come on) and am now confused. Is the glow plug system working as it should or is there a fault?

Secondly (and obviously related if the glow plugs are indeed not functioning correctly), sometimes it has trouble starting first thing in the morning. Yesterday morning I had to crank it for the full duration about 5 times before it actually started and there seems to be a lot of whitish smoke when it starts up.

The third and most annoying thing, it seems that when the car is rolling slightly and the clutch pedal is fully pressed in, the accelerator pedal seems to be unresponsive (the engine doesn't rev for a brief second and then suddenly revs higher than I want it to after about a second of pressing the accelerator pedal). My last car was a 1.9TDI volkswagen and I know it had a kind of feature built in that would slow down the ability to rev from idle if the car was in neutral unless the clutch pedal was pressed which kind of makes sense as its kind of pointless reving in neutral. So i'm wondering if the "unresponsive" accelerator pedal is a "feature" of the fiesta that ford have done on purpose for some weird reason? It's really annoying because I cant pull away immediately when coming up to a roundabout unless the car is 100% stopped. Any ideas about this? Anyone even know what I'm talking about?

I don't know whether to ask about it being kind sluggish in case its simply a case of my performance expectations are too high coming from the 1.9TDI but then again it does seem that the engine isn't 100% given the problems I've just mentioned.

Any and all help appreciated thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about the second thing... But

The glow plug indicator could have a blown bulb/faulty LED? As if it's starting then the Glow plugs must be working. Although it's possible that they're on their way out from what you're describing

I'm not sure about the second thing... But

The glow plug indicator could have a blown bulb/faulty LED? As if it's starting then the Glow plugs must be working. Although it's possible that they're on their way out from what you're describing

Yeah it starts but can take a LOT of cranking sometimes

Any idea how old the current glow plugs are?