Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption Again

nashy

I know this has been done to death but can someone with a 1 litre powershift give me some idea of what realistically you should be getting mpg wise. When i got the car in September i was averaging over the next couple of months low to mid 40's. I then put it in to ford for the 1500 mile check and they recommended the fuel flush and treatment. Like a mug i agreed and have been regretting it ever since. Now it may just be coincidence but since that treatment i have had problems at low revs where it feels the car is holding back on acceleration and my fuel consumption has dropped to 33mpg and i can't seem to get any better. Ford have looked at it and reset all the parameters whatever that means but to no avail. It's going back again next week for another check and to be honest if they come back again with "can't find anything" then they can keep it. Anyone else experienced this... Furthermore i should also say that on several occasions since the treatment i have had it where as i slow down at a junction and then go to pull away there is a dip in power as though stalling and on 2 occasions it has almost caused an accident and on one of those occasions i almost got hit by a bus.

I purchased my Titanium X Powershift in September 2014 and also got 42-46 mpg. This was achieved on a mix of long (50 mile) and short journeys (under 5 miles). Since November I have done only short runs and with morning temperatures of <5°. This is reflected in mpg which is 32-35 mpg. I am sure this is down to the winter temperatures as well as greater use of electrical equipment which the Titanium X is lavishly endowed. I have not experienced any lack of smoothness once engine is warm. At the 1500 mile check (carried out in November) I had an oil/filter change but the engine was not flushed.

Maybe the fuel consumption is coincidental and due to temperature drop. I am going on a 400 mile round trip at the end of Feb so will see how it goes then. I am not happy with the acceleration thing though and the loss of power at junctions. I'm hoping my ford dealer can get to the bottom of that as i do feel it can be dangerous. If i'm honest i am slightly disappointed in the car, At the time of purchase none of the local dealers around me had a car to test with the partial leather seats and i find them quite uncomfortable. I also now regret getting the powershift as at certain speeds it chops and changes continuously between gears 30mph being one of those speeds. I don't think i'll be keeping it past the 2 yr period.

I opted for the full leather and find the seats quite comfortable and supportive. I had some reservations about the gear changing around the 30-35 mph mark but now use the `S` setting rather than `D` when driving in town. This holds the lower gears for longer and makes it easier to keep to a 30mph speed limit. Engine braking is almost non existent when going down steep hills and using Manual mode is a better alternative to excessive use of brakes.

I was obliged for medical reasons to buy an automatic after 50 years of manual transmissions. I hanker for the control which a manual gives one.

Many drivers of automatics I have come across (my daughter included) never use anything other than `D` and fail to take advantage of the other modes available on most car makes. Powershift on the Fiesta pays dividends if all it`s features are explored when it becomes almost as enjoyable to drive as a manual.

I don't have a 1.0, but I can safely say my MPG has taken a real hit over the last couple of months. Short journeys, plus cold weather, plus de-icing the car in the morning etc., none of it has helped! I have used Super Unleaded fuel in mine for the last few months. I'm sure the car still needs longer in order to really get used to the higher octane fuel, my car has had a couple of power drops when it has first started in the morning.

Having had my friendly mechanic to have a look and hook it up to the diagnostics, the car is still absolutely fine. It seems the cold weather combined with just starting the engine is the issue there!

Mine's a Nov 2014 manual Tit and I get 33 although I do enjoy hitting the 'go' pedal. On cold mornings I let it run up to temp on the drive before I get in and disable stop/start.

• Like 1

We're all taking a hit on mpg. To be honest for size of car and moderness of its engine etc. I don't think it's as good as it should be.

I have the 1.0 ecoboost 100 manual. I haven't reset avg since sept where I had a long trip and high mpg but it has gradually brought that avg down. I'm sitting about 45 now so guess not bad as an average over 5-6 months.

We have had our 1 litre Eco Boost for three months, it was a 14 plate dealership car. Prior to this we had a 14 plate Fiat 1.2 Panda (a gutless wonder with problems that Fiat are still denying). The Fiat hovered around 50+ mpg, it did not like running in a high gear (other than on a motorway). ) Our normal driving is on rural roads in Norfolk, with city driving for the weekly shop. At first we got about 46 mpg from the Ford, after a couple of 400 mile trips where the mpg was about the same I became more accustomed to the available low down engine torque and using a higher gear I started to see an average on our normal routes come up to around 51mpg (using standard unleaded petrol). On a longer trip I filled the tank with a full tank of super unleaded, this increased the mpg by only 1 to 2 extra miles and there was no marked increase in performance, so the extra expense did not seem justified.

I think that, given that the car is 200 kilos heavier than the Panda and that it has far superior performance this mpg is acceptable.

As a passing shot our car is garaged so it doesn't need defrosting every morning and the engine warms up steadily as the initial part of any trip is on a slow road. Also the Ford's mpg readout is correct, where the Fiat's was always reading high, out by 3+ mpg.

Any car i have will be not that good on m.p.g how local i go.

Eco boost would gain me a bit but not loads.

• Like 1

Gone down to 28 mpg now and that's on the computer which is probably more than i'm actually getting. You may think that i must just be heavy footed but this is someone who used to get 70 + mpg from my Cmax 1.6 tdci on a run and that was checking brim to brim. 50+ around town. I didn't need that size car anymore otherwise i would have kept it and to be honest i wish i had now :) I live 2 minutes from the M2 motorway so can get to a steady speed quite quickly without any town driving, the best i have had from the fiesta is 52mpg and that was when i first got it from new on a 500 mile round journey. Anything over 40 combined i would honestly be happy with. I looked at Honest johns real MPG as a guide before i bought the car but have noticed that even though i have entered a figure of 33 on that site, the range for my model still says the lowest entry is 36 so that's a load of tosh as well...

Colin

I think you need to book your car in to be checked, putting that amount of fuel through might not be doing things a lot of good under the bonnet. On a 200 mile trip I kept our car at 70 on the motorway with an occasional squirt when coming off a roundabout and then back up to 70 overall we got 46mpg. It seems that keeping off the cruise control saves petrol when driving at 70. I tend to allow the weight of the car help itself to crest a hill, if you are using cruise control it drives over the top before dropping power input and this would increase fuel consumption. On our return journey we came back by a shorter route which had varying speed limits, 30, 50, 60, and a few short 70 bits, in the 30 limits I mostly used cruise control in forth gear, at one point the average mpg had gone up to 53 but at the end of 375 miles was 51 mpg, so in some parts of the trip we were doing very well. You may say I had a light foot but with the very torquey engine there is no need to be unkind, with my Fiat I would have had to thrash the car and would still have failed to keep up with the Ford.

David

It's booked in for this coming Wednesday, They are keeping it for 2 days for tests and giving me a courtesy car. Gutty thing is that i also own a long wheelbase hightop renault trafic van and i get better MPG from that :(

Dropped my car off at the dealer thi morning with 29 mpg combined showing on the computer. Picked up a 1,25 fiesta courtesy car with 3000 miles on the clock and already seeing just under 50 mpg combined, I hope they find something wrong with my car cos surely this can't be right.

My 1.0 econetic 100bhp gets 50mpg with 40 mile trips, I drive like a saint to get this though. I had a 1.25 while mine was getting serviced and got 65mpg from that! So much for the modern engine being better. Just had the car serviced 25k one did the engine flush (otherwise known as a dealer mugging!) no difference at all. Even tried the recommended fuel and not supermarket stuff too. Think the econetic diesel is the one to go for the economy?

Just about to have mine delivered and I'm thinking...

- The Fiesta has a knock sensor which will adjust to the fuel (better to start as you mean to go on though as adjustment with these sensors is always supposed to take some time)

- It's a turbo with relatively (?) high compression

- There's anecdotal evidence of people noticing good effects with Vpower/other premium/high-octane fuel

Given this should I even consider starting it on Shell VPower? Interested in people's back to backs if they have done it properly and chucked a few tankfuls through.

Hi guys

I've had my zs 125ps for about 4 weeks now done about 700 miles and my average mpg is 30.

Is that to low? Or I'm I driving it to fast (which isn't to aggressive but I do like the turbo

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

That's maybe ok'ish. My 125 has done ~1k and it's ~33.5 (short, cold trips) but I enjoy my right foot. Sod the expense, the enjoyment is worth it ;)

Some get ~50 odd? I can get that if I keep it garaged :D

Really, that 1ltr 125 engine is amazing, far better than my XR2 (which I loved).

Was getting 33 over winter there hut has gone up since temp has gone up I've noticed it back to 45mpg

So I guess under 6℃ it does a lot less between 31-34mpg!

Over 7℃ I get about 40-45mpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting mine (ecoboost) on Monday. Looking for last minute options on whether to start it off on vpower.

I'm as skeptical as anyone but the engine has a knock sensor so it should be able to adjust and some people have reported significant improvements in economy (more than enough to pay for the fuel).

Anyone have any experience on this front?

There no real significant mpg gain vs cost I'm getting around 42-45mpg atm and roughly 340-400 mile a month (depends on driving if mostly town it's the lower number but if town and county it's towards higher number either way I'm in Scotland and there is loads of hills) and am on the cheap stuff ma mate has just went to cheap stuff from running vpower for a year and he said it was just costing him more and was getting exact same as my mpg and miles but in summer months he was getting 1-2mpg more than me but for a couple months a year no thanks

A think I will always choose cheaper option and even cheaper with clubcard points so Tesco bargain basement petrol FTW lol

Same here. I generally fill at tesco and getting around same as you.

I've got a 2013 Titanium, 1.0 - With a stage 1 ECU Remap. Currently averaging 38MPG

I get 50.4 mpg in 2013 I.0 100 ecoboost. 11 miles to work and showing an average 27mph over the last month since I bought the car with 26000 on the clock. The first petrol daily driver that I have owned for more than tewnty years. Last car was a 2008 1.8 focus

cdti. 50mpg in summer & 47 in winter. all doing the same journeys. Diesel is more expensive so I am quids in.

mac

in my 1ltr 100ps powershift, currently after 3 weeks and 700 miles, 1st fill was 26mpg and 2nd fill was 42mpg, can't say i'm overly chuffed.

Onboard computer showed under what the calculated mpg was.

At almost 4k on mine and just got 45 on the last tank, 43-44 previous two... Which I'm happy with as I do love putting my foot down. If I drove like an old man it'd probably be better, but who has the patience to accelerate like a sane person?