Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please - Focus 2.0 Tdci Flat Battery Now Lots Of Electrics Are Not Working

simondb

Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on this. I have a Focus 2.0TDCI CC, 2008 57 plate.

The car had a flat battery a few days ago and has developed lots of electrical faults since, such as:

Interior light not working, rear window demist not working but quick clear front demist is ok, one touch windows not working, as a convertible it has an electric boot fastener when you close it which isn't working either. All these things were ok before the flat battery.

Since getting the car in June '14 its had a fault which is still the same. This fault is when the car is started the dash lights, reverse light, radio & electric roof don't work for approx 30 seconds while the engine management light and heater plug light stay on for the same 30 seconds. I don't know if this old fault is connected with the new fault.

Please help, I have no idea what to do next with this...... Thank you

Alternator maybe, if you can get it started put a multi meter on the battery it should be running 14.3-14.7 volts any less then it sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery. With the car not running you should of course get 12.5v. Less than this could be the battery, it might have a faulty cell causing the problems.

What type of battery is in the car if its just a bog standard lead acid one that may be the issue the lights IDE check the fuses the one touch needs reset put the window all the way up hold for a few secs then all the way down and hold this should reset the one touch I'm assuming the boot faster has a method to reset it that I can't help you with I'm afraid as for the roof not working it sounds like the glowplugs which take a lot of juice are robbing the power so not enough to work the roof it all points to a faulty or incorrect battery so far should be a ford silver calcium or a silver calcium battery from any manufacturer would do any garage will do a free load test on the battery it could be a faulty alternator also do the dash test and see what figure the battery is showing on start up and running then with the heater and lights on

• Like 1

Only a small help but the one-touch windows need re-learning after the battery is disconnected or maybe gone so flat the module has lost it's anti-trap settings. There's a procedure in the handbook for what you need to do to re-learn them - it's nothing complicated.

For the other issues, in normal cases it'd be worth checking connections to the GEM module/fusebox behind the glovebox though obviously this wouldn't be directly related to the battery going flat. Have you checked fuses for the things which aren't working? The interior lights are fed power through a power-saver relay which times out after so long if you leave them on too long so there may be a problem with this, there are a few other things on the same relay but can't think off-hand what these are.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at these tomorrow in daylight.

I've just been out to try the window reset as decribed it the manual, this hasn't worked and the dash display now says "Engine System Fault"

My question is, could all this be caused if the car has the wrong battery installed?

Check the connectors on the gem module(fusebox ) under the glovebox on both sides of gem module,