Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound Deadening Doors - Do I Need The Membrane Still?

Wappygixer

I'm just about to fit some silent coat sound deadening to my Mondeo MK4. I intend to do both the innner and out part of the door. The inner part to seal it as well.

With doing this will I still need the membrane to prevent water ingress or will the sound deadening surfice?

many thanks

You should keep the water membrane if you can.

Would be interested to hear your results with the product.

I've done a bit of research on Silent Coat and so far all seems good.

I really want to do it today and I'm hoping too. I just hope the outer door skin doesn't have any condensation as it's been pretty cold here over night.

Trying to salvage the water membrane will probably be the hardest task.

I'll post my feelings once done.

Thanks for the reply

Just bought the kit off amazon myself, the reviews for it seem pretty outstanding and the number of sheets you get for the price is pretty decent!

Look forward to testing it myself.

I would be interested to see you write a review, and perhaps put a step by step guide on the "installation"

Mine should be here next week. I'll also takes pics of my progress.

Not expecting a huge change but plan on installing around the Speakers which will hopefully have a nice impact on music quality.

Well its all done. Wish I'd taken some photos of the install now but I was concerned about getting it done in time due to the weather.

Good points.

Speaker quality is vastly improved. I've set the bass setting 2 higher and still no rattle.

Doors sounds much denser and thud when closed.

Bad points

I tried to fill in the gaps in the inner door panel. I did fill them initially and went to fit the door card but due to the door card requiring a recess for the pocket to fit into I had the remove the excess matting.

I did manage to get the water membrane off in one piece. To refit it after, I used the roller which I also used for rolling down the matting. It seemed to stick back ok. If it does leak then I'll get the hairdrier out and heat it up and repress it.

It is a bit difficult sticking the matting to the outer door skin and I have a few bits of skin missing from the backs of my hands.

I bought a 30 sheet pack and I've used about 18 sheets doing the front doors. The rear doors I will tackle on Sunday, weather permitting. On these though I will just do the outer skins as I don't think its added any real benefit to doing the innner skin.

All in all for £40 its made the stereo sound much better. It would have cost more than this for new Speakers and the doors would still have rattled

I must also add the doors seemed to have been coated in a form of wax. I removed this with some standard thinners else the matting wouldn't have stuck

• Like 1

Sounds positive, will be interesting to hear the difference when you hit the motorway

Did you essentially coat the entire door the matting? Inside and out?

Only planned to do the inside skin on mine, mainly around the Speakers.

Winner if it could be used on the wheel arches to any effect!

There isn't much metal around the Speakers so I don't think much would be gained.

I pretty much coated nearly all of the outer skin. It is tight to move in but it's more than possible.

Once I've done the rear doors I do plan on doing the rear wheel arches and undere the rear seat

• Like 1

I muat admit I have been tempted to just stick expanding foam in the doors just to offer some silence to the rides lol

• Like 1

Ha, yer thought about that too!

Pumping insulation in lol

Heck just take cavity wall insulation and pump that in lol, if only the darned windows wouldn't get in the way...

Just cancelled my order as I'm not convinced 2 30x30 sheets per door will make much of a difference. Just seen this thread aswell and seems covering the entire door will have maximum impact;

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/44150-guide-to-complete-stereo-installation-focus-mk2/

Yer, further down he's soundproofed all doors.

The kit is bought doesn't even cover 40% of the inner skin on a single door so would be better if buying the larger kit.

What's the price of these larger kits?

Just got an email from amazon saying the order had been dispatched. Looks like I'll be giving it a go afterall! lol

Had the order cancelled and instead bought a different pack with 10 smaller sizes pieces for £14.

Turned up this morning, so wasted no time having a go. I'm a complete amateur at this so it may be wrong, or untidy etc..

First thing first was to remove the door card. Very easy to do on the MK2 I must say. I used the Bojo Interior Removal tool suggested by JockStar to unclip the first few clips. The rest came off with a little gentle persuasion.

Once the door card was off, I turned the bass up full and whacked on some heavy music to feel where the vibrations were most severe on the door panel. This was the end result using just over a single sheet. I've read some online guides and YouTube vids and the general consensus is to apply the material to approx 25/30% of the door :

DSC_1857.JPG

I'll have to take the door off again as I dropped a screw inside and also missed a clip out. Before reattaching the card though, I turned the bass up once more and genuinely felt quite a substantial difference in vibration. I think I may double layer some of the material closer to the speaker but over all very impressed. The product itself was dead easy to cut and apply. Very flexible but also felt 'premium' at the same time.

Will have ago at the other doors tomorrow. Not had a chance to drive her yet as off to work soon but whilst I don't expect road noise to be reduced at all, I'll be interested to see if there's any effect.

I expected more I must admit, I expected sheets to go inside the door membrane to take up the air...

The product in using is only designed to prevent vibration. Doesn't have any effect on airborne noise according to the instructions.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club