Area Rep: Northeast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Name: Callum
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta ST500
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

Blimey - I must be the only person on this forum that would like to see the national limit raised to 80mph!!! :ph34r:

I agree with your nightowl!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 titanium_s_spec

titanium_s_spec

Local Rep: Hertfordshire (Spelling Bee Champ)

• FOC Supporters
  • 726 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk7 mountune

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

the idiots will always go fast. this (if it is correct) will only slow down law abiding motorists and make congestion and journey times worse especially on A roads etc.

Thats a bit harsh.

#18 titanium_s_spec

titanium_s_spec

• FOC Supporters
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Blimey - I must be the only person on this forum that would like to see the national limit raised to 80mph!!! :ph34r:

nope i'm with you most ppl travel at 100 now on motorways

#19 amarokuk

amarokuk

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.4 Petrol
Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hasn't the motorway limit already reached 50MPH for the most part? Looking at the M6, M1 and M62 near me this new trend of everyone sitting in the outside lane and never moving accross (unless they have to speed up the hard shoulder to avoid queues) ensures that there is never enough clear road to maintain 70MPH for more than a mile or so. Add into the mix the lorries that now seem increasingly to ignore the fact that the outside lane is out of bounds and what you have is a situation where 50MPH is looking like an improvement in speed rather than a reduction.
What is needed is a hard line from the police about lane hogs who will sit at 50MPH in the outside lane with the other 2 mostly clear simply because there might be a truck 10 miles ahead overtaking at 51MPH it is complete insanity these people are not fit to drive and should be removed from the roads.

As for the poll looks like one of the governments diversion tactics when some bad news is due that didn't get picked up by the media as much as they hoped.

#20 corsic-ar07

corsic-ar07

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Ford Model: 2008 MK 7 Fiesta Zetec S
Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Nightowl @ Jul 27 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Blimey - I must be the only person on this forum that would like to see the national limit raised to 80mph!!! ph34r.gif

I agree with your nightowl!

I agree too - I think the Motorway would be safer if the limit was 80 mph, particularly as most people seem to exceed the 70mph limit already in place. Driving along on the motorway does not feel very fast when you are going in a straight line and even 70 can feel slow!

#21 mitch84

mitch84

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

I agree too - I think the Motorway would be safer if the limit was 80 mph, particularly as most people seem to exceed the 70mph limit already in place. Driving along on the motorway does not feel very fast when you are going in a straight line and even 70 can feel slow!

not sure i agree , i think 70mph is fine as it is as a lot of cars can not cope at 80mph , 70mph is fine for all cars , you then have to think about lorrys, imagine you were doing 80mph and a dozy lorry driver pulls into your lane????

#22 alexavfc

alexavfc

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 Zetec S
Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:58 PM

not sure i agree , i think 70mph is fine as it is as a lot of cars can not cope at 80mph , 70mph is fine for all cars , you then have to think about lorrys, imagine you were doing 80mph and a dozy lorry driver pulls into your lane????

I do 70 and lorries still pull out in front of me

Raise it to 80!

#23 titanium_s_spec

titanium_s_spec

• FOC Supporters
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

Give us a little respect then when we indicate either get out of our way or drop back so we can over take it's simple really.mostly plebs(cars) who hog the over taking lane cause the problems when they sit there all day doing 50 and wondering why ppl get cross with them.after all it does say in high way code keep left unless overtaking perhaps some should read it :lol: :lol:

#24 la3195

la3195

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec S

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Give us a little respect then when we indicate either get out of our way or drop back so we can over take it's simple really.mostly plebs(cars) who hog the over taking lane cause the problems when they sit there all day doing 50 and wondering why ppl get cross with them.after all it does say in high way code keep left unless overtaking perhaps some should read it :lol: :lol:

agreed

#25 alexavfc

alexavfc

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

Give us a little respect then when we indicate either get out of our way or drop back so we can over take it's simple really.mostly plebs(cars)who hog the over taking lane cause the problems when they sit there all day doing 50 and wondering why ppl get cross with them.after all it does say in high way code keep left unless overtaking perhaps some should read it :lol: :lol:

Something lorry drivers are never guilty of

#26 titanium_s_spec

titanium_s_spec

• FOC Supporters
  • 726 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Something lorry drivers are never guilty of

Thats bercause years ago the government decided to limit lorry's to 56 mph and now supermkt delivery drivers are limited to 50 and 54 mph so just imagine the carnich and devistaion caused on our motorways if they all sat behind 1 another at those speeds also on the m25 it would be a continious q of lorries in the non over taking lane.so next time u see aloory taking 3 miles or more to overtake another lorry at the same speed just think it's down to the government and not the driver that it takes so long..and also most of the trouble is car drivers who are scared and can't be bothered to move over into the non overtaking lane... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#27 Gazjs

Gazjs

Area Rep: Central and North Scotland (Detailing Obsessive)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk 6 Facelift
Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

I travel 65 miles a day on motorways and have come to the conclusion that lorry drivers may as well not have any mirrors after all they never use them. Bigger vehicle bullying ;)

#28 alexavfc

alexavfc

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

Thats bercause years ago the government decided to limit lorry's to 56 mph and now supermkt delivery drivers are limited to 50 and 54 mph so just imagine the carnich and devistaion caused on our motorways if they all sat behind 1 another at those speeds also on the m25 it would be a continious q of lorries in the non over taking lane.so next time u see aloory taking 3 miles or more to overtake another lorry at the same speed just think it's down to the government and not the driver that it takes so long..and also most of the trouble is car drivers who are scared and can't be bothered to move over into the non overtaking lane... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well the only carnage we see in the Midlands on the M42 is when lorries are overtaking each other, even though there is no overtaking stretch, and why is that? Because it takes so god damn long for them to over take each other only to arrive at the next section within seconds of each other, not the governments fault that lorry drivers choose to bend the rules

As for your second point, thats because "most" car drivers are anxious about a huge lorry just pulling out on them

#29 titanium_s_spec

titanium_s_spec

• FOC Supporters
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

I travel 65 miles a day on motorways and have come to the conclusion that lorry drivers may as well not have any mirrors after all they never use them. Bigger vehicle bullying ;)

o dear maybe you should try driving and artic with no mirrors i will give u 100 yds b4 you hit something :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and as for bullying give them some room and respect and see how things change.biggest problem in uk is the lazy foreign drivers who use there blind spots as an excuse to cut roundabouts and pull out on cars on motorways. and same o same o good in bad in everything :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users