Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please

dale1977

ive bought a 2010 mondeo 18tdci came to it this morning and all the electrics inside have gone faulty engine runs fine.

electric windows, central locking, indicators , heater, no lights on the dash speedo and rev counter not moving sometimes a message comes up saying engine faulty and imobliser active but engine is running fine. Does anybody have a clue what this could be, any input would be appreciated thanks

Get it back to the seller. Hope you bought it from a dealer and not private.

From a small independent dealer but he wants more money to fix the problem, phoned trading standards they say he has to fix or replace but if he refuses it's small claims which could take for ever

Sounds like mine was turned out to be water ingress/ corrosion in the main fuse box, I removed all fuse and relays gave everything a good clean and it been fine

Dealer. Thats encouraging. Sale of goods act is on your side. Did you by chance buy using a credit card, Master card or debit for any amount of purchase price ? If so, how much was on the card ?

If it was, then read this and dont panic. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act#relRegulations

Checked fuse box mate not that unfortunately. I paid bank transfer mate 4700 in total

Ok. Go on line, search Citizens Advice for your area. I hope they can give the advice you need. Im afraid ive been exactly where you are now with two Citroens. Two different car dealers. Then both cost a fortune..Both sellers were standing their ground.....They knew we were stuck for time and money and were unlikely to pursue them through court. When I bought my Monty, we paid a deposit on Master Card. Having learned about sectn 75 of consumer credit act we will never pay 100% cash again.

I really wish you good luck. And doubt you are on your own.

Trading law is on your side. The car must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose.

Start here. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/cars_buying_a_car_e/cars_buying_a_used_car_e/cars_ways_of_buying_a_used_car_e/buying_a_car_from_a_dealer_what_you_need_to_know.htm

Thanks for the advice really appreciated.

I've spoke to trading standards and the dealer can't seem to come to a settlement so im booking it in a ford main dealer to be fixed even tho I can't afford it , and I'll be taking the dealer to court.

Very expensive lesson learnt

Dale. If you are absolutely sure you cant come to an amicable arrangement with the seller, it would help other buyers to not fall into the same trap as you, if you named and shamed your seller. Be careful so as not to jepodise any court action. At the moment you are the innocent party.

I named and shamed one of my sellers on Google Plus...Following that I was thanked by 4 other potential buyers who intended buying from them.

It hurts though doesnt it.

Good Luck Dale

• Like 1

The only arrangement he wants is me to hand over more money for him to fix, I even agreed to do this once fixed but he wants money up front, not a chance.

Im going to see a solicitor a thing I can't afford but he's not getting away with it I'll blacken his name where I can. Im going to contact auto trader as well where he advertisin. Your right mate I feel physically sick,

I've never spent this sort of money before its everything I had

God i hope you get this sorted, That dealer shouldnt be trading, im so sorry for you.

Main dealer bill is up to £270 at the moment fingers crossed they don't find much more

1 broken wire in the loom so far, but there is a diesel leak and a cam belt tensioner that need fixing but using a different garage for these bits main dealer just too expensive.

Will definitely have a mechanic to look at a car before I buy next time

Seems to be a lot of broken wires in mk4s I've had a couple mainly in the abs wiring, build quality seems down on the mk3

Well i hope that's an end to mine, picked it up today it cost just under 500 quid but it's all fixed now

Cheers, they replaced wiring in the drivers side floor compartment that's all oh they did wash it as well lol main dealer prices.

It still needs a cambelt tensioner plus it has a tiny tiny diesel leak but my local mechanic will fix them both for about 150 next week.

Sounds like you've cracked it. Good luck and well done Dale.

Cheers mate, even after all the hassle i still love this car it's so big compared to the mk3 alot of car

It's bigger outside but I find there is less load space in the rear with the seats down than ther was in the Mk3

Hi, just a thought. Major electric faults usually have a simple single source. Here we have a recently traded car which may have been serviced. In the servicing it is ofter necessary to dismantle and earth wires associated with main ecu are often easily overlooked. This can result in a goldmine for the careless mechanic who feeds on terrorized car owners. Find a trustworthy local man who has a small regular staff or one man with a consistent reputation and service the car with him. Also he may know from experience where bto quickly find the faulty connection. Good luck. BTW solicitors will only cost you . Useless in a small claim. and you will still have to do all the graft. M